the home of the turntable

Technics Sl-Q33

turning japanese

Technics SL-Q33

Postby missthedudeman » 02 Sep 2009 16:51

I ordered a ART DJ Pre II Phono Preamp for it. I've heard this is a very good preamp, even though I am not a DJ of any kind. I am new to direct drives, and turntables in general. The preamp is making a humming noise. I have a couple 10" records and the tonearm keeps going backwards when I play it. It's hard to set it down. I'm guessing there's something I'm doing wrong. Can someone please help me out? I've gone through so many record players lately, but maybe it's just 'cause I'm stupid. And I am tired of these record player woes. Please explain in lamence terms.
missthedudeman

Postby Chiltern » 02 Sep 2009 17:58

Hi, I think that you are going to have to explain your problems in more detail.

The hum with the Pre amp may just be because the seperate screen lead from the deck is disconnected, also do check the contacts on the Headshell if the deck has been in storage for some time.

I don't quite understand the problems with the arm going backwards! The SL-Q33 is a fully automatic deck that can be used manually. When it is working properly it can size a 10in record, no problem, unless they are transparent, the SL-Q33 has an optical sizing system.

Alan
Chiltern
contributor

Great Britain

Postby missthedudeman » 02 Sep 2009 18:10

I'm sorry I did not explain it more. Basically, I would put a 12" record on and press the start/stop and it would not land on the record, and skip off. I got the record player from eBay, it's in great shape. For being an old model, it looks brand new. Should I wrap copper wire around the tonearm? The exact model is Technics SL-QD33R. I've tried manually putting the tonearm on the record and it works once it finds the grooves for a minute or so and then skips somewhat. I am clueless as to record player parts, terms, everything. And I apologize for being ignorant to it, but you all seem friendly and I feel that I can ask you guys. This is going to sound SO stupid, but when I clean the controls, are you talking about the buttons on the front? Oxidation? I guess I just need to research more. The needle on the player is completely new.
missthedudeman

Postby Alec124c41 » 02 Sep 2009 20:59

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/tech ... -q33.shtml
This is a link to where you can download the service manual for the SL-Q33.
I suspect you have not set your turntable up properly.
The VTF, vertical tracking force: turn off your TT or unplug it. Bring your arm across to the start of a record and lower it. Adjust the counterweight at the back of the arm so that the stylus hovers just above your record. Then, without turning the counterweight, turn the dial on its front to zero. Now turn the entire counterweight to the recommended tracking force of your cartridge, often 1.5 grams.
Now try playing a record.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby Chiltern » 05 Sep 2009 14:21

Hi, just a point, the SL-QD33 is quite different from the SL-Q33. The disc sensing on the 'D' version is mechanical with small levers though the mat. The original Q33 used infrared light to size the disc, plus a seperate motor for arm operation.

Alan
Chiltern
contributor

Great Britain

Return to Technics