the home of the turntable

Acutex stylus

the thin end of the wedge

Acutex stylus

Postby 33audio » 21 Aug 2009 02:26

http://www.adelcom.net/AcutexCart1.htm

Hello Vinyl Fans:

The above link shows a picture (first picture on top) of an Acutex cartridge with a stylus that is different from the one in the picture below it.

The M320-III-STR stylus was at one time like the one in the picture in the following link.

http://www.33audio.com/enter/pics/AcutexSTR.jpg

This is a picture of some new Acutex stylii that I have.

All in the 4 little boxes are the same shape as the blue one in the picture.

Does anyone know why they changed the stylus shape? Is the shape that I have more common or less common than the shape in the top adelcom picture?

Any information on Acutex will be appreciated such as specs and whether Acutex is still in business.

Thanks in advance, Mark
33audio

Postby rileyj5 » 22 Aug 2009 05:41

Hello 33,

I happen to have a few Acutex carts and was looking for information on the company a few months ago. Acutex has been out of business for quite a few years. They still have a webpage that states that they manufactured phono cartridges before cds took over or some such comment. As for specs go to http://www.cartridgedb.com/ and search acutex. I have had quite a hard time coming across those styli and am still looking for the 320. They also manufactured quite a bit of generic carts for turntable companies.

rileyj5
rileyj5

Postby 33audio » 22 Aug 2009 08:59

HI J5:

Cartridgedb has a lot of missing information and what is there is often copied from other somewhat unreliable sources. It is volunteered information as far as I know.

# Compliance: 42 x 10-6 cm./dyne at 100 Hz..
# Tracking Force Range: 1.5 to 2.3 grams.

This is the Bluzbroz spec for the 320. A compliance of 42 at 2 grams doesn't quite match up unless the vertical compliance is much less. Also, I still don't know if they changed the shape of their stylii, or if the BluzBroz picture is wrong.

http://www.audiotools.com/oldcart.html

Audiotools says they are still in business and I have seen evidence on the web that they make speakers now. Info may be outdated.

Do you consider these Acutex cartridges to be something out of the ordinary? Mark
33audio

Acutex Cartridges

Postby zoltarcat » 23 Aug 2009 15:40

I own the M320III STR LPM, which is the "long nosed" version you have the replacement stylus for, the M320IIISTR, like the one in the Bluz Bros. picture, the M320IIISTR Improved and an M420STR LPM "long nosed". They really sound great to me. I have them on two tables right now. I am guessing that the one like the Bluz Bros. picture came first. There were a couple of reviews in the very late seventies in High Fidelity and Audio from 1978 and they show the picture of the "flat nosed" version. They also refer to Acutex as a new company at the time. So, to venture a guess, the long nosed versions came later on. I have no idea why they changed. Also, beware of Bluz Bros. as a resource for the styli. I bought one of those from them a few years back. It was presented as an original replacement stylus (like is on their site now). It was not. It was a cheap conical that they charged me $188.03 for. I did not need it at the time. So, I just stuck it in a drawer. That was a dumb mistake on my part. I went to replace my stylus one day and it sounded horrible. After examining it with a 200X microscope, it was a conical. It looked like the tip of a pencil. It was too late to do anything about it, so I learned a lesson. Strangely, I actually asked the guy if it was genuine and he assured me that it was. He actually put me on hold to say he was examing it under a microscope, just to be sure. He came back saying that it was one of the tiniest stylus profiles he had ever seen. I could shoot myself sometimes.
As far as specs: If I can figure out how to scan the cartridge literature and save it to a file, I will send you a link to it. I am not a whiz on this computer, so it may take a bit. If you send me an email with your address offline, I can just copy them and send them to you. I hope this has been remotely helpful.
zoltarcat

Postby 33audio » 23 Aug 2009 17:58

Hi Zoltarcat:

Thank you for the most informative reply. It is confusing that they would call their early flat-nosed version “improved”. If you have a late 70s brochure then that narrows it down.

The revealing of the truth about BluzBroz is also most helpful. I had wondered how they could claim to have all those original stylii.

I recall that they also claim to be distributors for some companies like Nagtronics/IMS. Nagatron is gone as far as I can find on the web. Pickering is still in production in the UK so those are probably real, but overpriced.

Perhaps the flat-nosed version looked too much like an ADC. The long-nosed looks like an Ortofon.

My email is common info on the web because I have been slowly setting up a website.

marko@33audio.com

This is a dialup connection so if you could please inform me beforehand of a megabyte email I will know that it is not spam. I use 98 because it is easily repaired, but drivers, including broadband, are becoming extinct.

I know that this forum is not for commercial purposes. Perhaps I can give you a good deal on a stylus in return for the Acutex scans. I bought a supply of these recently and don’t know what they really are in terms of performance, or what they are worth.

They appear to have excellent quality control. Every cantilever is perfectly straight.

Thanks again, you have been a great help. Mark
33audio

Acutex Cartridges

Postby zoltarcat » 23 Aug 2009 20:59

Hello 33!
Please check your email. I can send you the scans of the Acutex literature as soon as you like. Thank you for getting back to me!
zoltarcat

Postby timeltel » 01 May 2010 18:10

Greetings, 33audio: The Acutex 1980 catalog can be found here:
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Acutex- ... _3848.html, scroll down to "Acutex Cartridge Catalog", plenty of info. there.

Acutex is still in business manufacturing microphones and other recording gear. It seems they discontinued making cartridges in 1992-'93.

There is a dimensional difference between the LPM 3xx and the final 4xx series. At this time stylus replacement remains, for me, a guessing game.

Currently enjoying a LPM 412STR and seeking an upgrade path for a LPM 310E 111, can anyone confirm the M312/315STR stylus is interchangable with the 310 cartridge body?
timeltel

Postby 33audio » 01 May 2010 18:30

Hi Timeltel. They have the lit on the wrong page. It is difficult to find.

I have an STR320 cart and also 310,312, and 315 stylii. They all work fine.

If you want a better deal on a stylus

http://www.33audio.com/enter/stylii.html

Mark
33audio

Acutex 412 str

Postby pbnmjk » 05 Feb 2011 06:15

Hi,
Somebbody knows if the M312III or M315III or M320III nosed stylus are compatibles with 412STR?
All the best!
pbnmjk

Postby 33audio » 06 Feb 2011 10:11

I have been told by someone that has both that they are not compatible. I recall that the 4xx is a little shorter than the 3xx.

Best Regards, Mark Huffman
33audio

Postby pbnmjk » 06 Feb 2011 10:24

Thanks Mark...

Do you know if is possible find stylus for the 412 STR?

All the best!
pbnmjk

Postby 33audio » 06 Feb 2011 10:49

I looked at Bluzbroz and turntableneedles.com and saw nothing.

I guess you'll have to wait for an ebay auction.

I have a picture of an ebay auction stored from Sept 2009. The whole 412 cartridge went for $60 buy-it-now. I assume it was new. It was in the box.

I have a 310 elliptical stylus on my long-nosed. It is very listenable, not an STR, but still a good sound. It has the very good sound image of the STR. I have an STR also.

I was told that the 4xx series is actually a little better than the 3xx series.

So, if you see a 410 elliptical you might want to grab it.

Happy Hunting, Mark
33audio

Postby pbnmjk » 06 Feb 2011 11:04

Thanks again Mark!!!
pbnmjk

Postby dean man jim » 06 Feb 2011 21:44

33audio wrote: .....I was told that the 4xx series is actually a little better than the 3xx series. So, if you see a 410 elliptical you might want to grab it.

I enjoy my LPM 410E quite a bit, and enough to be willing to pay for a retip later on, but I enjoy my 312 and 315 more. It would be great if styli were interchangeable between the 4XX and 3XX LPM bodies but alas they aren't.

Jim
dean man jim

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps