the home of the turntable

Thorens Td 160 Mk V + Tp 90 - Request

music box

Thorens TD 160 mk V + TP 90 - request

Postby janusz » 17 Jul 2009 12:19

Hi,
I use TD 160 mk V with TP 90 arm. Could you give me your opinion in the case - is this any sense to change TP 90 arm for something better? If yes which arm should I take in mind? I have two possibilities - change existing TP 90 in mk V for something new or install something better in my second Thorens TD 160 mk II (I bought it without arm). If I will use mk II then mk V will be for sale. Third idea - sell both TD 160 and buy differnt model of Thorens - any idea which one ? TD 125, TD 126, maybe TD 150 (classical "classic" :D
waitng for opinion/suggestions.
cheers
janusz
janusz

Re: Thorens TD 160 mk V + TP 90 - request

Postby janusz » 18 Jul 2009 19:48

Hello again,
no reply to my post :( . I try to put my question different way. What should I take in mind (looking for what?) to go "over" current TT? Current means TD 160 mkV with TP 90 arm. Is any chance to install different arm which will be much better then TP 90?
1. Keep TD 160 with TP 90 and make only some mods (subchassis, bottom deck etc),
2. Keep TD 160 and change the arm? Any suggestions?
3. Buy other model with different arm. Which model (Thorens must be :D ) and which arm?

all suggestions are welcome!
cheers, janusz

Hi,
I use TD 160 mk V with TP 90 arm. Could you give me your opinion in the case - is this any sense to change TP 90 arm for something better? If yes which arm should I take in mind? I have two possibilities - change existing TP 90 in mk V for something new or install something better in my second Thorens TD 160 mk II (I bought it without arm). If I will use mk II then mk V will be for sale. Third idea - sell both TD 160 and buy differnt model of Thorens - any idea which one ? TD 125, TD 126, maybe TD 150 (classical "classic" :D
waitng for opinion/suggestions.
cheers
janusz[/quote]
janusz

Postby bastlnut » 19 Jul 2009 08:37

hallo Janusz,

i think you can rest easy with the TP-90 tonearm.
it is one of the best from Thorens, many think better than the Rega arms too.
i find it certainly better than the RB-300 or the entry Jelco tonearm.
the TP-90 has an effective mass of 16,5g so you will want to use a low compliance cartridge.
i would concentrate on the plinth and sub-chassis for any improvements.
look at this site: http://www.theanalogdept.com/
here you will find many improvements that you can do.

the TD 125/6 turntables are a step up in quality, and the TD 320 mkII is also one to consider.
the TD 125/6 are easier to modify for sound improvement than the 320.
the TD 160 lends itself well to improvements too.
you have the 160 now, so go ahead with that one!
replace the leads from TT to amp with a high quallity shielded lead.
use an additional support with cones between the turntable and the table top it is now resting on, and replace the thin wood bottom of the plinth with some thick solid MDF or plywood.

regards,
bastlnut
bastlnut
long player
long player
contributor

Switzerland

Postby janusz » 19 Jul 2009 10:16

Hi bastlnut,
thanks for your reply. My original idea was to keep my existing Thorens. Only if I see some nice TD 125/126 on ebay I thought - "nice player, I want it" :D I know the web page - theanalogdept, you right there are many ideas for Thorens modifications. One more question about the cartridge, I know that because of the high mass of the TP 90 I need low compliance cart. Could you suggest me some carts, please? I know that MC carts are very often LC, but I am not sure to use MC. In MM carts there are not so easy to find LC cart. Joel (everybody know him :) ) suggested me Nagaoka MP 11, do you have some real ideas? I know the cart database but is not so easy to find some real option without experience (I am still "on the start" of the analog way).
cheers
janusz
janusz

Postby bastlnut » 19 Jul 2009 11:40

hallo,

Joel is a wealth of knowledge, and help.
if you want to use a MC cartridge, there are the HOMC's (High Output MC) that work with a MM input.
you should look at a Benz Micro cartridges, a Denon DL 160, a Dynavector DV20 H, Sumiko Blue Point to name a few.
i have used a Audio Technica AT-OC9 on a TP90 arm with very food results, but it is a low output MC.
it all depends on your budget.

do change the tonearm cable for a better one.
a lot depends on the phono stage you are using, how the cartridge sounds.
which cartgridges have you used?
if you only have a MM input now, you can get a step up and use a low output MC.
this helps many times if the phono stage isn't a great one.

regards,
bastlnut
bastlnut
long player
long player
contributor

Switzerland

Postby janusz » 19 Jul 2009 12:26

hi,
I use Elac EMM 140E cart. This was installed whed I bought Thorens as a secon hand. First owner informed me that this cart was originally installed (!). I know that this is not the best combination with heavy arm like TP 90. About the phono stage I am ready for MM and MC carts :) I have diy phono stage (two in one) VSPS (for MM and HOMC) and Phonoclone (Phonocube) (for LOMC) on one chassis. I tried this with different TT and carts and sounds great. Both "parts" has switches to change gain and input resistance. About changing cables - how to choose better one considering also the capacity of the original (as I understand be ideal to keep the same capacicy of cables like original Thorens?)
janusz
janusz

Postby bastlnut » 19 Jul 2009 15:20

hallo,

i make my own cables, so i go about it differently.
a cable that i often recommend here on this site is the Gotham GAC-1.
i guess you can do the work yourself, so i would recommend that you make up your own cables.
RCA plugs are easy to come by, so you can try several cables.
buy 2 meter lengths of Cardas, Gotham, Van den Hul, or whatever you can find and make your own.
see which sounds best.

capacitance is not a factor really for MC cartridges, so you only need to get low capacitance cables for MM cartridges you may use in the future.
any new cable you use does not need to be close to the Thorens values, it has to sound great!
you can also install RCA sockets and earth connection to the back of the Thorens TD 160-V so you can easily swap cables.
it is all up to you.

being that you have a good LOMC input on your phono stage, try the Audio Technica cartridge, the AT-OC9 with the TP 90 arm.
it is a good combination and helps tighten up the bass and gives you a more extended treble.
you may like it.
remember that it has a 20ohm coil resistance, so likes a 200ohm loading at the step up.
i like it best at around 150ohm myself.
if you can spend a bit more, the Dynavector DV20L is better as is a Benz Micro Ace L.

regards,
bastlnut
bastlnut
long player
long player
contributor

Switzerland

Postby janusz » 19 Jul 2009 16:11

Thanks bastlnut, lot of suggestions, I will be very busy next week (tomorrow I will start my vacation) to try all that ideas :D .
thanks once more and greetings from rainy Warsaw,
janusz
janusz

Return to Thorens Forum

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising