the home of the turntable

AR-XA tonearm rewire?

american simplicity

AR-XA tonearm rewire?

Postby Kyle » 08 Jul 2009 00:27

I have an AR-XA that I'm planning on restoring. The tonearm wiring is no good and I've heard that it can be a tedious process to rewire the tonearm. Is there any reason I couldn't use a ready made tonearm cable with RCA plugs such as this? Would this make the job easier? I'd gladly pay the extra money that it would cost to do this and make the job that much easier than go through the hassle of potentially messing something up.

https://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.as ... =AQTWILD15

Thanks!
Kyle

Re: AR-XA tonearm rewire?

Postby gkimeng » 08 Jul 2009 00:42

Kyle wrote:I have an AR-XA that I'm planning on restoring. The tonearm wiring is no good and I've heard that it can be a tedious process to rewire the tonearm. Is there any reason I couldn't use a ready made tonearm cable with RCA plugs such as this? Would this make the job easier? I'd gladly pay the extra money that it would cost to do this and make the job that much easier than go through the hassle of potentially messing something up.

https://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.as ... =AQTWILD15
!

This appears to be a cable designed to plug into the DIN connector that is at the bottom of many tonearms. It does not replace the wiring inside the arm itself. There is no DIN plug on an XA tonearm.
gkimeng
contributor

Postby solex » 08 Jul 2009 00:50

Kyle,
Is there a problem with the wire in the arm or is the phono cable the problem?

The product you suggested will require you to do some work to the chassis in addition to needing to purchase and solder a male connector.

Vinyl Nirvana has a good step by step tutorial on how to rewire the arm.

I would first locate the problem before moving forward. Also upgrading the cables is another discussion.
Regards,
Dan
solex

Postby Kyle » 08 Jul 2009 02:28

Thanks for the help guys. I'm a big newbie and didn't quite understand what that cable was. To me it looked like a something that ran through one end the tonearm to the other and then replaced RCA cables, and thought that the plugs in the front were where you install the cartridge. I shoulda known it wouldn't be that easy.

Thanks for the link to the write up!
Kyle

Rewiring An Ar Xa Tonearm

Postby drterry » 06 Aug 2011 20:58

Hi everyone. I am new (relatively) to all this stuff but am trying to repair my AR XA tonearm wiring which gave out on me. I got the plastic piece out of the tube (thanks to the video on Vinyl Nirvana) but the wiring is so old and thin I can't identify the colors. I was going to rewire and use RCA jacks but I need to know how to place the wiring on the pins. Can anyone out there help me?
drterry

Postby Alec124c41 » 07 Aug 2011 06:12

Looking at the end of the arm, from the front:
LH - RH
LG - RG

or
white - red
blue - green

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Ar Xa Tonearm Wiring

Postby drterry » 07 Aug 2011 12:12

Thanks so much... now does anyone have a clue how to get solder out of the pins on this flimsy plastic shell so you can insert the wiring without melting the shell?
drterry

Re: Ar Xa Tonearm Wiring

Postby xmas111 » 14 Aug 2011 14:16

drterry wrote:Thanks so much... now does anyone have a clue how to get solder out of the pins on this flimsy plastic shell so you can insert the wiring without melting the shell?

Hi Dave,

Think I found a way to get the solder out of the pins...well kind of.

Find a small pin or sewing needle and hold it on top of the pin while touching the pin with a soldering iron. Push the pin in as soon as the solder becomes molten then pull it right out.

It doesn't really remove the solder but it should give you an opening large enough to put the new wires in.....worked for me.

Here's a picture to show you what I mean. Sorry it's a little blurry but I'm sure you can see what I mean.

Good luck with it.

John
xmas111

United States of America

Ar Xa

Postby drterry » 14 Aug 2011 15:54

John thanks so much. Your suggestion worked perfectly!
drterry

Re: Ar Xa

Postby xmas111 » 14 Aug 2011 18:15

drterry wrote:John thanks so much. Your suggestion worked perfectly!

Glad it was of help.

I'm rebuilding another AR XA that I'm going to take a ton pf pics for another web page on rebuilding AR XA tt's.

John
xmas111

United States of America

Ar Tt

Postby drterry » 14 Aug 2011 18:58

John, you'll know right away that I have never done this before! I put the two plug outlets in the back of the base as you did so I can plug my own interconnects in them. I ordered the same ones you used. I made the red on the left channel and the black one the right. I assume you wire the tone arm to these outputs? I put the ground post on the inside of the base even though it came the other way.

Where do you wire the grounds though now that the solder strip is removed? And, where do you wire the motor? I know it sounds stupid but I have never done this before...
drterry

Postby xmas111 » 14 Aug 2011 21:15

Yes, you wire the tonearm wires to the RCA jacks. You can wire all the grounds to one grounding lug.....they all go to the same place anyway once you plug the interconnects to your preamp or receiver.

Not sure what you mean by "where do you wire the motor?".
Do you mean how to wire the motor ie: what wires go where.

John
xmas111

United States of America

Ar Xa

Postby drterry » 14 Aug 2011 21:28

Yes, I don't know where the wires for the motor go and how. I put a hole in the back of the base and installed a jack which accepts a three prong plug...
drterry

Postby xmas111 » 14 Aug 2011 21:45

I've attached a picture on how to wire the motor (using the replacement Hurst motor) but that won't make any difference.
In the bottom left corner of the pic is the power cord and what wires go to it.
Do the same but instead of the power cord you'll connect the wires to the power jack. You don't need the third prong (ground) of the power jack hooked up to anything.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say....

John
xmas111

United States of America

Ar Xa

Postby drterry » 14 Aug 2011 21:56

John you are being so patient with me - thanks! I should have told you the marks on the Schurter jack - one is marked L, the other is N, and the middle one has a 2 on it - I assume the middle is the ground..

Thank you for the picture and the patience - do you have a photo of the tone arm wires to the RCA plugs?
drterry

Next

Return to Acoustic Research Forum

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising