the home of the turntable

Rega Vs. Project... A Couple Qs...

on level ground

Rega vs. Project... a couple Qs...

Postby Cycline3 » 03 Jun 2009 00:54

hey all... I am old. I've had lots of tables and vinyl in my time... but i was out of the vinyl life, like many, for awhile.

I ended up with a Pro-ject Debut III. I loved it and added the speedbox and acrylic platter with a turntable clamp. I am currently using an Ortofon 2m Blue cart. The table is just stellar and I luvz it.

So, looking back, I realized wow... had I known I was in that deep -- maybe I would have just went for the Rega p3-24 with it's speed controller.

So my first question is, since there is no near rega dealer, is the P3 that much of a leap from what I have? And I would like to say to the naysayers who want to just regurgitate, "pro-ject/MH is junk" non-sense, please save it. My debut is an excellent piece of gear. Remember an UN-upgraded Debut is Stereophile Class D and the P3 is only Class C. To further that, I am not in for a brand flame war. I love my current table, I am just looking for a little input from some of you who have heard both and would like to share some objective thoughts. And I thank you for your time.

Question 2. Again, not a flame war thing at all... but it seemed to me when I was browsing the Rega forum that there are more problem posts than in the Pro-ject board. Is quality an issue? I just thought it was odd... for what is generally considered a more expensive brand...

Thanks.
Cycline3

Postby freefallrob » 03 Jun 2009 12:19

It's a nightmare isn't it, is the grass greener on the other side??Should I or shouldn't have I? I've asked my self these questions alot over hifi (and other stuff too!). I think it only through personal experience you can judge and i've had many hindsight moments!

The only comparison I can give you is a Project 1.2 (older model but pretty good budget model, better than a current Debut 3) against a NAD C555 (Rega P2 clone) with a glass platter fitted in place of the standard mdf one.

Same cartridge, Goldring 1012gx, in my system, the NAD was MUCH better in terms of speed stability, dynamics and openness. The NAD stayed.

The Project 1.2 is a great little table though!
freefallrob

Great Britain

Postby Cycline3 » 04 Jun 2009 00:00

It is tough. I actually didn't expect the new crop of tables to be as good as they are. Im super stoked with what I have. But like i said, I hadn't intended to spend that much on a table... and had I known i was going to... would I have gone with the rega in the first place? probably...

I suppose it boils down to this... I feel pretty certain that a p24 would be a better table. However, I don't think it's good enough to warrant selling what I have and paying the difference to the p3. I feel like I'd be spending quite a bit of jingle for just a little bit of improvement. But that's just my hunch and I don't have a local dealer...

So I was kind of looking for some response to affirm or deny that.

thanks for input! everyone else, please join in...
Cycline3

Postby Cycline3 » 04 Jun 2009 23:12

I am sorry but no thank you. I have had the rather unpleasant experience of having to deal with Sheila Weisfeld (Harry's wife) and she was a complete b%^&#. I wouldn't take one of their tables if they gave it to me. Sorry to be so crass, but she hands down has my award for worst business dealings/service EVER. So no thanks. I will never own a VPI table.
Cycline3

Postby banerjba » 11 Jun 2009 19:42

I have a Rega P5 and upgraded Debut 3. At low volumes (most of my listening), I prefer the more detailed sound of the Pro-ject. Rega sounds better when cranked up. Part of it is the difference in cartridge - I don't like the Elyse2 very much. The Ortofon 2M Red on the Pro-ject sounds better to me.

Cycline3: Please expand on the VPI issue. I want to add a Sota or VPI to my table collection. The Acrylit taught me that I love acryllic platters - like on the VPI Scout. American stuff is generally well made too.
banerjba

Postby Y.C. » 12 Jun 2009 13:23

Cycline3 wrote:It is tough. I actually didn't expect the new crop of tables to be as good as they are. Im super stoked with what I have. But like i said, I hadn't intended to spend that much on a table... and had I known i was going to... would I have gone with the rega in the first place? probably...

I suppose it boils down to this... I feel pretty certain that a p24 would be a better table. However, I don't think it's good enough to warrant selling what I have and paying the difference to the p3. I feel like I'd be spending quite a bit of jingle for just a little bit of improvement. But that's just my hunch and I don't have a local dealer...

So I was kind of looking for some response to affirm or deny that.

thanks for input! everyone else, please join in...

I owned a ProJect Xpression 2 and later the RPM5 before moving over to my present Rega P5.

The Rega P3-24 is considered the equivalence of ProJect RPM5.1, so it should technically be ahead of your ProJect Debut 3. They sound very different - the Rega sounds more incisive, rhythmically faster and has slightly more extension at both frequency extremes in comparison thereof. In term of absolute neutrality, I feel ProJect has a slight edge over the Rega. If you favour rock music, the Rega would suit you more.

The most obvious difference when you move upwards within the ProJect family from Debut 3 to let us say the RPM5.1 is the improvement in pitch stability and scale of soundstage (height, width and depth). I personally experienced this myself.

The RB301 tonearm on the Rega P3-24 is a clear winner and the entire turntable is fully upgradeable with aftermarket third party parts, right from tonearm weight, tonearm wiring, platter, subplatter to even part of its motor. The same, however, could not be said of ProJect turntables.
Y.C.

Re: Rega Vs. Project... A Couple Qs...

Postby techblogpool » 20 Feb 2013 13:37

Hey guys, this thread seems a bit old but I will give it my shot.
I have a question to ask, have you ever considered a Clearaudio TT as opposed to Pro-Jeck/Rega? How do they compete?

Thanks!
techblogpool

Slovakia

Postby Guest » 21 Feb 2013 15:50

I realized wow.

In reviews in germany the wow and flutter of the RP3 was measured nearly twice as much as with the debut 3.

Assuming the test mesurements where correct, a change to a rega will make things probably worse instead of better, in your sense.

Nevertheless, the test result was excellent in total. I wonder how reviewers can come to such a result, as nearly 0,15 % wow and flutter are a lot for a turntable at this price point.

If you are sensitive for wow and flutter, better keep your debut. Or perhaps get a vintage quartz-controlled direct drive model. Those drives usually dont have any audible wow and flutter.

But first of all, check if your pulley and drive belt are clean. Maybe there are residues (grease, cigarette smoke etc.) causing the problem. Clean belt and pulley with isopropyl-alcohohol and some q-tips. Check if the belt is mounted the right way. It has a "pro-ject"-print on it, this must face to the outside and not upside down.

I have a debut 3 in use, too, and never heard any wow or flutter.

Good luck, kalypso

Postby banerjba » 23 Feb 2013 06:01

techblogpool wrote:Hey guys, this thread seems a bit old but I will give it my shot.
I have a question to ask, have you ever considered a Clearaudio TT as opposed to Pro-Jeck/Rega? How do they compete?

Thanks!

I own all three. Clearaudio has the quietest backgrounds and full sounding. project is clean and neutral but also a bit lean. Rega is great sounding but not ideal for pitch and speed stability without the power supply. I think the Project Debut III with AcrylIt is truly an exceptional sounding table. I love mine. I have more expensive tables but the Debut always delivers music for less than the price of a decent mm cartridge.
banerjba

Postby Bob_in_OKC » 24 Feb 2013 07:19

HiFi Choice published a comparison that included the Rega P3-24 and they found wow & flutter of 0.04%.
Bob_in_OKC

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2013 08:38

http://www.rega-audio.de/phono/rp3/downloads/Rega_RP3_Test_Stereoplay_2011-10.pdf

Here's another test what states 0,118% without the TTPSU and 0,114% with it. (wow+flutter = Gleichlauf, bewertet)

Speed inaccuracy (Solldrehzahlabweichung) +4%, either with or without TTPSU.

Are there really such great fluctuations with this tables or do the reviewers use different test procedures?

I don't know.

regards, kalypso

Return to Rega