the home of the turntable

Dual 1229 Turntable - How do I remove platter?

twice the fun

Dual 1229 Turntable - How do I remove platter?

Postby lomafa » 19 Apr 2009 22:36

I'm having trouble removing platter. I hear a scuffing sound and need to get under there to see whats going on...........
lomafa

Postby silphium » 20 Apr 2009 15:56

There is a split ring around the shaft, if someone hasn't already removed it and lost it. Dual made a little tool that you could slide down the slot and expand the ring with, but a thin screwdriver will work.

The scuffing is probably the paper ring with the strobe markings on it. When the original glue dries out, they sometimes begin to fall off and parts of them drag. When I got my 1229 the paper ring was just lying there under the platter. For some reason it never read right when I temporarily taped it back in place, so I left it off and use a platter-top strobe disk to check speeds.

The 1229 owners manual and service manual are both downloadable from the library here. The info about that tool for the split ring is in the owners manual I believe.

In addition to all of the great info on Duals here at vinylengine, it is often worth searching the Dual turntable posts at the AudioKarma forum, too. There are many Dual-holics over there, and a couple of very experienced technicians too.
silphium

Re: Dual 1229 Turntable - How do I remove platter?

Postby Dualtimer » 19 Dec 2011 20:13

The split ring appears to be at the top of the shaft but I can't seem to free it with a screwdriver.. I am anxious not to break it or damage the turntable. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Dualtimer

Postby dualref » 20 Dec 2011 03:01

You can put a very small screwdriver in the split part of the ring and then twist it which would spread it apart and then you push slightly and the ring comes off and usually flies across the room. It would be helpful to put a sheet or something on the floor when doing this. It'll make the clip easier to find.
dualref
contributor

Postby Alec124c41 » 20 Dec 2011 06:06

Cup your hand over it.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby Dualtimer » 21 Dec 2011 12:38

'You can put a very small screwdriver in the split part of the ring and then twist it which would spread it apart and then you push slightly and the ring comes off and usually flies across the room. It would be helpful to put a sheet or something on the floor when doing this. It'll make the clip easier to find.'

Thanks, it worked a treat.
Dualtimer

Return to Dual