Tandberg brand

radio, tape, stands and accessories
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Tandberg brand

Post by bauzace50 » 08 Mar 2009 01:49

HI,
Does anyone remember the Tandberg brand of audio products, including some excellent tape equipment? What was their country of origin? Are they still in the market?
Thankyou,
bauzace50

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 08 Mar 2009 03:21

As far as I can tell, the company was from the U.S. I don't know when they went out of business. I've never heard any of their equipment, but I always had the impression that it was entry level good stuff, but nothing more. That's just an impression form the days when I really knew no more aabout good sound than I did about anything, which was ZIP!

pivot
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by pivot » 08 Mar 2009 03:29

The shop I was a salesman at here in Albany back in the late '70s, Clark Music , sold Tandberg. The receivers were a cut above most of the competition. Nice stuff to listen to, but challenging to sell because of the high price and somewhat subdued looks. They were not flashy, "Buck Rogers" stuff. Solidly made and very good sound.

They made cassette decks that were built like tanks and a good reel to reel machine.

I believe the Tandberg currently known for videoconferencing is the same
company.

Tandberg no longer makes any HiFi gear.

They were (are?) based in Oslo, Norway.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 08 Mar 2009 04:14

b50: It's a Norwegian company. And I sure do remember them - they had lots of nice audio components. Of course, they were most famous for their tape related stuff, but their receivers like the TR2075(II) were excellent, too. And I sure recall drooling at my favourite hifi shop here in Munich over their early to mid 80s products like the massive TCS-3014(A) tape deck (which imo has no problem to compete with the best Nakamichis...), the TIA3012(A) integrated amp or their pre- and poweramps like the TCA3002 or TCA3008A and TPA3006A or TPA3009A. Not to mention tuners like the TPT3001A or TPT3011A, though tuners have never fascinated me that much...

Later on I didn't notice much about their audio division anymore, but they were also active in a couple of other sectors. For example, they've also produced very high quality computer keyboards, which one could find on a lot of Siemens terminals and personal computers. And they were also big in tape streamers - in fact, storage solutions and LTO drives are a sector in which Tandberg (as Tandberg Data and Tandberg Storage) still is very active today. Other Tandberg divisions today cover teleconferencing systems and tv broadcasting hardware and solutions.

Anyway, for pics and some specs on Tandbergs audio stuff, there's a nice Norwegian web site you might want to check out: http://www.nrhf.no/nrhf-TR-innhold.html

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 08 Mar 2009 06:46

Ahhh Thankyou All,
Yes, it was one of the elite companies, and one thinks of their Tape equipment in the same regard as McIntosh/Marantz of the '60's. Matter of fact there are several examples on eBay and Audiogon right now! I wonder if some of those can be serviced. Hmmm. Thanks!
bauzace50

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 08 Mar 2009 08:49

We have a (very) small Tandberg page over in the HiFi Engine library
https://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/tandberg.shtml

Regards,
JaS

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Tandberg

Post by Blue Angel » 08 Mar 2009 08:52

Hi

There's a Tandberg TCD 310 Mk11 tape deck doing sterling service here. There's no hiss to speak of and it is the only deck which plays through 120min cassettes.

blue

vincula2008
long player
long player
Spain

Post by vincula2008 » 08 Mar 2009 09:07

A friend of mine has an old Tandberg tuner that sounds great. It's the only part of his audio chain he hasn't upgraded. He's convinced it won't get much better. Built to very high standards, Scandinavian perfectionism and a flair for design too. Still looking gorgeous after all these years -and not in a retro-kind of way...

Regards,

Vincula

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 09 Mar 2009 21:51

I always remember them for their excellently built receivers which sounded very very sweet. For some reason they sell for buttons on E-Bay giving consideration the build and sound quality.

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 09 Mar 2009 23:49

Hi,
it seems that the offers in eBay can be taken with much higher confidence! Wonder why they re-invented themselves to serve a different market?
Thanks, b50

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 10 Mar 2009 00:19

I had a Tandberg turntable at one time. It had a silicone damping chamber on the bottom of the tonearm pillar, but it had butt-ugly graphics. I swapped it for something else.

Cheers,
Alec

Awg

Post by Awg » 10 Mar 2009 00:51

Bauzace50,

Tandberg was for very many years a cornerstone enterprise in Norway.
The enterprise was founded in 1933 by the young electro technician, engineer Vebjørn Tandberg, the son of a margarine industry director located in Bodø north of Norway.
In the thirties, Tandberg began to make radio tuners inspired of german Telefunken. Fortunately, he had the intuition to foresee that radio production was to be a success in the years to come. Tandberg radios quickly became known for their good reception performance, and Norway was, and is, geologically speaking, a challenging terrain in order to proove reception quality.
During world war II the production ceased, whereas the sales exploded after the war, in the important redevelopment of the country. Several models were in the marked, among them the famous Sølvsuper (the Sølvsuper 4 was made in 70000 copies), and the Huldra, notably Huldra 4 which was an example of exquisite art engineering, having a split-up wide-banded short wave receiver, the quality being excellent even today.
In the fifties, the development of tape recorders showed another aspect of Tandberg's genius. They were exported to many lands, and used by the norwegian broadcasting.
Although Tandberg himself would like to stick to traditional well proven technical soultions, he was to adopt new designs as to sound reproduction. This change was made over some years, in the sixties, introducing hybrid designs with valves in the tuner section and solid state amplifiers (Huldra 8 and 9, Sølvsuper 10).
In the seventies, the influence of Mr. Tandberg was reduced, his nephew introducing another methods of financial administration as well as having a different approach as to the product line, all of which was opposing Mr. Tandberg, and the radio pioneer felt unwanted in his own plants where he used to walk every day during so many years talking with the many employees.
Simultaneously, a series of hifi receivers were introduced, having first class tuner sections with high sensitivity and well made, good sounding amplifiers. Among them, the TR 2075 was, when introduced in 1975, a very good design, the fm tuner being one of the very best in the Tandberg history and compared to other separate designs costing more. Also the amplifier section was good, and it was compared to more expensive separate designs as e.g. Quad 405. The phono section was also excellent, having an input sensitivity of 2.2 - 10 mV @ 47 kOhm.
The rather similar 2055 delivered 55 watts rms and had the same good tuner section. The 2025 was a budget version with a slightly different sound.
In the end of the seventies, Tandberg developed other receivers (TR 2030, 2045, 2060, 2080) as well as separate hifi designs, among them the famous TPT 3001 tuner.
The tape recorder TD 20 A is a top notch device and for many a collector's item.

Best regards,
Awg

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 10 Mar 2009 02:39

@ AWG,
Awsome!
Thanks, b50

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 10 Mar 2009 09:15

Thanks for the insight AWG :D

niklasthedolphin

Post by niklasthedolphin » 10 Mar 2009 21:22

The short story:

Tandberg is known for having made the best ever tuner and the best ever cassette tape deck.

"dolph"