the home of the turntable

Music Hall Mmf-2.2

czech it out

Music Hall MMF-2.2

Postby threefirstnames » 19 Feb 2009 03:50

Anyone have the MMF-2.2 that can give some insight into the quality of this table? Does it have any significant issues? Does it have noticeable advantages over other tables in this range (Rega P1/P2, Technics SL-1200MK2)?

Any info would be great. I've had trouble finding any detailed reviews so far.
threefirstnames

Postby gmw65 » 12 Apr 2009 21:00

I've had my mmf-2.2 for about 16 months and I think it's great. I have had no quality or reliability issues with it. I can't really compare the sound to any other "real" turntables as i haven't had any. I do know it's miles ahead of my yamaha cd player, which is almost in retirement since I got back into vinyl. It's a solid little unit, easy to setup. Definitely remove the dustcover when playing as this will cause feedback if left on at high volume. I've upgraded mine a bit with a grado gold and a speedbox and that noticeably improved the sound. I will eventually try a Moving-coil cartridge on it. One thing to watch is the mass of any cartridge you may wish to use. The grado at 5.5g is near the upper limit for the tonearm with the standard counterweight. A heavier counterweight is available. For me it's a keeper and the best money I ever spent on Home entertainment. I haven't read any reviews either, the dealer I bought it from had an Oracle Delphi in his listening room and he liked what he heard from the mmf-2.2. Not to say it was as good or anything, just that it does sound good. Hope this helps. I see your post kind of old but I'm at sea for 2 months out of four so I just saw it. sorry.
gmw65

Canada

Postby threefirstnames » 13 Apr 2009 19:11

Hey, thanks for your thoughts on the MMF-2.2. I did end up getting one and have had it for a couple of months now. On the whole, I really like the turntable. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at and wonderful to listen to.

Some general thoughts I have for others that might be considering it:

-- The stock mat is flimsy and seems prone to static. I got the table from LPGear who also provided their LPGear Z-mat, which is thicker and has been static-free. I'd recommend replacing the stock mat with a Z-mat or some other solution to anyone who gets an MMF-2.2. Eventually, I'm planning to replace the platter+mat with the Project Acryl-it platter (which pairs well with the MMF-2.2 according to needledoctor customer service), but for now the Z-mat is doing it's job.

-- The supplied Music Hall Tracker cartridge has excellent musicality, but I found the surface noise to be rather high and inner groove distortion to be an issue on particularly long sides (even with LPGear's "upgraded" stylus for it). I'm in the process (see more on this later) of replacing it with an Audio Technica AT120E that I used on my previous turntable.

-- As gmw65 noted, the MMF-2.2 has the same cartridge weight limitation as the Debut III (the supplied counterweight only supports carts up to 5.5g). Music Hall doesn't really make this known in their documentation, while Pro-ject does. I discovered this when I mounted the AT120E, which weighs 6.5g. So, if you're considering a different cart with the MMF-2.2, factor in the $20 plus shipping cost of the optional 75g Pro-ject counterweight for carts from 6 to 9g (I'm currently waiting on mine to ship).

-- Like many turntables, the tonearm wires are extremely fragile. My large fingers had trouble removing them from the Tracker cartridge and I managed to break the red wire off of the cartridge clip. Thankfully, I was able to solder the clip back on without much trouble, though I wouldn't recommend this to someone who doesn't have soldering experience. If you're planning to change the cartridge, use extreme care when removing the tonearm wires or better yet, get your dealer to replace the cartridge for you.

-- If you have any desire to try a different mat or cartridge (and I would recommend both), the ability to adjust VTA on the MMF-2.2 is a big plus over the other entry-level, belt-drive competitors (Pro-ject Debut III and Rega P1). IMO, this is what sets the Music Hall apart in this price range.

-- Cosmetically, the MMF-2.2 is real winner. The piano black plinth and substantial acrylic dustcover are stunning. Everything about it screams elegance, except for the cheap-looking on/off switch, but that's a minor quibble.

At ~$400, the MMF-2.2 is a great value out-of-the-box and very upgradeable with all of the adjustments it offers. Replacing the cartridge, adding a Pro-ject Speed Box and switching to an acrylic platter are all solid future upgrade options that will continue to improve the sound that you can get out of this table.
threefirstnames

Postby serendip » 03 Oct 2009 23:41

Does the Acryl-It Platter significantly reduce static? I think my mat is causing a lot of static problems. (I have the MMF-2.2) I've posted elsewhere on the forum about it. I'm thinking of upgrading....
serendip

Postby serendip » 03 Oct 2009 23:42

Does the Acryl-It Platter significantly reduce static? I think my mat is causing a lot of static problems. (I have the MMF-2.2) I've posted elsewhere on the forum about it. I'm thinking of upgrading....
serendip

Postby Alec124c41 » 04 Oct 2009 01:45

When mounting or changing cartridges, use a small pair of needlenose pliers, and grip the tag on the clip, not the wire. Fingers just don't fit.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby gregoire » 08 Feb 2010 17:36

I just received a music hall mmf 2.2le with the Pro-ject speed box and acrylic platter, and changed the cart to an AT440MLa.

I am SO glad I read this thread before changing the cart. Yes, I used pliers... Thanks all! :D
gregoire

Re: Music Hall Mmf-2.2

Postby sagepunk » 22 Jan 2013 20:53

I received a mmf 2.2/le for Christmas. Thanks, Santa! The Ferrari red plinth is stunning. The cartridge was upgraded to an Ortofon Red which required a heavier counterweight. I quickly ordered the acrylic platter and the Pro-Ject speedbox. The look and sound of this table is wonderful. There a lots of higher end tables that I'm sure are better, but for this price, I don't think you can get better sound or more beautiful design. Eventually I will upgrade the cartridge to the Ortofon Blue, which can be done by simply changing the stylus, with no further realignment necessary. When I first set everything up, I noticed a ever so slight bounce in the platter as it was spinning.(honestly, most people wouldn't even notice it) It had no effect on the sound, but nevertheless I felt compelled to write to Music Hall about it. My email was answered in a few hours and a new sub platter was sent to me at no charge. After installing it, the bounce is now gone. That's what I call excellent customer service.

I would not hesitate to recommend this turntable.
sagepunk

Postby Catcher10 » 22 Jan 2013 22:44

On the subject of customer service.....When I got my new mmf-7.1 and was having trouble with the anti-skate weight, setting up the arm. I emailed Roy Hall and he replied back within 15 minutes. We emailed back and forth for another 15 min and he helped me work it all out.

.....and this was on a Saturday afternoon.
NAD C356BEE NAD C545BEE CDP
Music Hall mmf-7.1~Nagaoka MP200~AT OC9ML/II
Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
Grant Fidelity TubeDAC11, Teac X-2000R R2R
Epos Epic 2, Morrow Audio Cables
Catcher10

Honduras

Postby sagepunk » 24 Jan 2013 00:44

My email to Music Hall was on a Saturday afternoon as well, and I got a reply the same day. I had the new sub-platter a week later. Excellent customer service.
sagepunk

Postby gmw65 » 24 Jan 2013 02:39

These companies that we are so familiar with are really very small. I was surprised when I emailed Music Hall and got the reply direct from Mr. Hall himself. Same thing with Graham Slee. These guys must be more obsessed than we are! Workaholics too! When you think about the tiny volumes of product the prices suddenly seem very good.I'm sure a large company like Yamaha could easily make a turntable as good as an entry level project or Music Hall. Would it sell for less? I doubt it. Be thankful for these little guys and support them when you can. That goes for good dealers too.
gmw65

Canada

Postby ryanm74 » 21 Feb 2013 23:50

FWIW, I bought one of these tables (MMF 2.2) about two weeks ago. It is very easy to set up. I could not find the counterweight so I called the number in the instructions. I am pretty sure I talked to the owner of the company, try doing that with most brands of anything. He let me know the weight was in the box, just packed into the packing. He was correct. I have been using the table hours every day since I got it. I have an AR XA (with shure M91) and a Garrard Lab 95B (with Shure M72) to compare it to, and it holds up nicely. The cartridges in the other turntables seem to be higher output, so I have to turn up the volume for the mmf 2.2 to achieve the same perceived volume, but that is not a bid deal. I think the mmf 2.2 seemed to have slightly more dynamic range (mostly on the high end) but seemed to lack a little bit of the warmth and mid presence of either table with a Shure cartridge. I am anxious to try out some other cartridges with the mmf to see what it is capable of. I do not think it necessarily sounds "better" than my vintage turntables but it keeps up right out of the box. I think with a little work and some upgrades it could probably sound better than the vintage tables. I know I just voice a lot of opinion and my comparisons have no real "control" but I wanted to share my two cents on the mmf 2.2.
ryanm74

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 22 Feb 2013 01:38

Give that new cartridge a bit of playing time to loosen up. It might surprise you. BTW, what is it?

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby goojoob » 22 Mar 2013 10:24

Hi! I also own this TT and its amazing.
Im thinking now about upgrading to the Acryl-it platter and the SpeedBox.
I am also thinking of changing the cartridge it has (a goldring elektra) to an MC Benz Micro Gold.
Do I need to buy the Pro-Ject 75g counterweight for this cartridge?
And, do you know which tonearm does the MMF 2.2 has? I cant find specifications about it.
Thanks!
goojoob

Spain

Postby gmw65 » 27 Mar 2013 06:27

The tonearm is the Project 8.6
gmw65

Canada

Next

Return to Music Hall / Pro-Ject