the home of the turntable

Dual CS450

twice the fun

Dual CS450

Postby sdcfan18 » 11 Feb 2009 23:12

As some of you know, I've been looking for a table to get into vinyl. I've found the Rega Planar 2, but it was a little more than I was looking to spend. I've now moved on to this one. Can someone please tell me their thoughts on this table? Where would it sit in their product line? Is it upgradeable?

I know very little about this stuff, but am learning quickly. Does Dual make good tables? The only place I've heard of them before is at WalMart, where they stock cheap car CD players.

Again, thoughts on Dual as a table company in gereral, and thoughts on this model specifically.

Thanks in advance!

sdcfan18

Postby HibouProfane » 11 Feb 2009 23:46

Dual is one of the great turntable manufacturers of all-time, but they're more about value for money than absolute high-end. This CS-450 looks perfectly decent. I would not worry about quality, it's a good name. If you look in the links thread of this section and around on the web, you'll find plenty of info about Dual. BTW the North-American distributor is located in Toronto, so maybe that's why you're under the impression that they're everywhere. :wink:
HibouProfane

Postby sdcfan18 » 12 Feb 2009 00:01

Comes with a Stanton D71EE Cartridge/ Stylus assembly. Is that any good?
sdcfan18

Postby 07bloomfieldb » 12 Feb 2009 08:16

Stantons are perfectly fine for the money, although in time you may want to be more adventurous. Duals are very good, (especially the older ones) and this looks like it should be fine. Judging by the picture it has a ULM arm, reasonable platter, and it is automatic to save your energy.
07bloomfieldb

Postby lini » 12 Feb 2009 19:30

sdcfan18: Well, the CS450 is one of the younger Dual models and the semi-automatic brother of the fully automatic CS455. It was introduced around 1989 (shortly after Dual had gone from Thomson to Schneider) and together with the CS455 represented the best model of the entry-level range. In contrast to its smaller brothers CS435/430 and CS415/410, which I wouldn't really rate as hifi class turntables, the 450/455 is pretty ok, if you don't expect too much - and it can sound pretty nice, when coupled with a good cartridge. It definitely isn't one of the really good Dual turntables, though - and hence it's not much sought after, either. So I can only hope you didn't pay a lot for that thingy.

Oh, and a thing I should mention: Whatever Dual branded device of recent production you might see nowadays (except turntables), doesn't really have anything to do with the old Dual company and its successors anymore. This already began during the Dual/Schneider era, as Schneider got more and more into financial troubles during the 90s and finally sold the Dual brand for anything but turntables to Karstadt, who subsequently used the Dual brand label for priceworthy far eastern import ware like ghetto blasters, micro systems et cetera.

Well, and for the Stanton cart with D71EE needle: That should do for a start, although I wouldn't really regard it as a very good match - but I'm not much a fan of the sound of the 500 series Stantons and their T4P siblings, anyway...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
long player
long player

Germany

Re: Dual CS450

Postby daveb » 12 Feb 2009 20:11

sdcfan18 wrote:As some of you know, I've been looking for a table to get into vinyl. I've found the Rega Planar 2, but it was a little more than I was looking to spend. I've now moved on to this one. Can someone please tell me their thoughts on this table? Where would it sit in their product line? Is it upgradeable?

I know very little about this stuff, but am learning quickly. Does Dual make good tables? The only place I've heard of them before is at WalMart, where they stock cheap car CD players.

Again, thoughts on Dual as a table company in gereral, and thoughts on this model specifically.

Thanks in advance!
Im partial to the vintage Duals I have a few the 1019,1229Qetc buying used can be VERY tricky on the web get a hold of Bill@fixmydual.com he'll sell you a real nice refurbished and eliminate the headaches and frustration.the best dave d tell him dave from jersey sent ya!
daveb

Return to Dual