the home of the turntable

thought's on discwasher d4?

how clean is your house

thought's on discwasher d4?

Postby danmanch » 25 Jan 2009 02:36

Hi, What are some thought's on the Discwasher d4 system. I've recently got back into vinyl after a long break with cd's. About five years ago pulled out all my old vinyl and have been buying quite a bit second hand. Of course most of it has needed cleaning. The guy at the record store suggested the D4. I'm assuming its fairly safe. I've probably cleaned my albums 3-4 times each with D4 over the course of a few years now. It's better then using windex right? lol. Is the d4 doing any long term damage? I've also read how long records may stay wet and that its bad if you play them wet. How long is a record cleaned with d4 staying wet? I hope not long since I typically play them right after cleaning.

I really haven't been using much d4 lately unless it's a new record to my collection. I've just been using a soft velvet record brush to wipe the dust. Sure wish someday I can buy one of those fancy RCM. But this economy in the States sucks!

All the best,
Dan
danmanch

Postby MonkeyBoy » 25 Jan 2009 03:21

I used to use d4 years ago. I just don't use it now because the audio store near me doesn't sell it. I really don't notice any difference in record cleaning fluids. As far as I can tell, you either get it wet and then dry it off or you don't. Seems like the thing that makes the most difference is the quality of the brush you use; i.e. is it new or relatively new or is it worn?
Music isn't an escape from life, it's one of the reasons to be alive in the first place!
MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby danmanch » 26 Jan 2009 02:18

The wood handle applicator was bought new with the start up pack. But within a few years has probably cleaned 300 records at least. I've kept it real neat but I'm sure its days are lived. I know its time to buy a real RCM. Or maybe another D4 pack For $20.

Oh yeah and don't forget the 20 1.25oz solution at $4.50- 5.00 a pop. Whats the lesser of two evils?

Later~Dan
danmanch

Postby Alec124c41 » 26 Jan 2009 03:39

I use a Diskwasher brush, too. I put distilled water, with a bit of isopropyl alcohol in a small spritzer, then mist the brush to use it. If there is a fingerprint or something on the record, I can spray it directly, wipe with a tissue or paper towel, and clean up with the brush.
If it still works, it still works. :)

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

The brush

Postby EdAInWestOC » 28 Jan 2009 00:08

The Discwasher brush has directional bristles so be carefull to clean it the proper direction...

The thing that I found is that the brush does a good job of cleaning off the loose dust but the little brush that is supposed to clean the big brush is a useless little...well I won't go there.

It you have a Nitty Gritty style RCM the upwards facing vacuum slot can do a nice job of suctioning clean the discwasher brush. I vacuum the brush between sides which prevents the spreading of dust/contaminates.

I have entertained getting a more high end RCM several times and whenever that happens I've decided to hold onto my NG style machine for cleaning the D4 brush and stylus brush. There really isn't a better way.

Ed
We don't shush around here!
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
EdAInWestOC
contributor

United States of America

Postby danmanch » 28 Jan 2009 01:09

Compressed Air in a can seems to work miracles for keeping all my brushes super clean, not to mention a bi- weekly for the Sound Sytem.
danmanch

Postby jake » 29 Jan 2009 14:22

In my exprience D4 fluid will build up like waxy furniture polish overtime, especially if you use more than a drop.
jake
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby michaelevans60 » 29 Jan 2009 15:58

danmanch wrote:Compressed Air in a can seems to work miracles for keeping all my brushes super clean, not to mention a bi- weekly for the Sound Sytem.

great for brushes but just be careful not to use brush straight after spraying or hold too close to hardware when dusting. The expanding air takes energy from the warmer air and surfaces and can create very fine (like very fine dust almost) condensation that then freezes and can leave marks or burns in finishes. Better than blowing on it yourself but not without it's own problems!

M
michaelevans60
contributor

Postby bauzace50 » 29 Jan 2009 16:04

HI,
adding to the fray: I have used the Discwasher brush and fluid for over 20 years, and like it very much. For me, it's one notch below washing the LPs.
REgards, b50
As I watched the stars in the sky I wondered where the ceiling had gone.
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Postby pivot » 29 Jan 2009 17:52

jake wrote:In my exprience D4 fluid will build up like waxy furniture polish overtime, especially if you use more than a drop.

I am with Jake on this one.

Use the barest minimum of D4 fluid on the brush while you save your pennies for a RCM.

Switched to the bottom of the line Nitty Gritty years ago. Clean record once on the RCM then dry carbon fiber brush before play after that.

I don't miss the Discwasher even a little.
Kevin R-M

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1
pivot
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby danmanch » 30 Jan 2009 02:01

I agree it builds up. According to discwasher it has the ability to protect the record. Agaist what I'm not sure. I'm going to start mixing my own cleaning solution thank's to the advice here on VE.

~Dan
danmanch

Postby Walt Q » 11 Feb 2009 18:03

Hi all! new member but an old hand at vinyl...

a little background:
I own Brass City Records in Waterbury CT...been in business for 28 years in the shop and 7 years before that at record fairs and shows....but enough of that

many years ago when I was 18 I went to England for holiday. Really interesting seeing stonehenge (when you could actually touch the stones) but a highlight for me was visiting the Watts factory....Watts made the top of the line record cleaning products in the day, still have my Watts Parastat...circa 1968 and I just had to make time for that part odf the trip. 'course the people at the factory thought I was a bit "off", after all what kid takes time on vacation to visit a factory. They were very gracious, showing me around the place and taking me out for lunch at a nearby pub. I had a great time and was able to ask a lot of questions...prime on my list was why they never made a record cleaning solution. The gentleman I was with basically said..."why bother, you can make your own from common ingredients found at any chemists" and proceeded to give me a formula for making my own...

80% distilled water...for suspension agent
20% isopropyl alcohol for drying agent...use 91% with no aromatic agent
2 drops of photographic wetting agent...basically am extremely mild "soap" used to wash photographic negatives-just a little bit to cut fingerprint oils

When I got home I collected the ingredients and started to "roll my own" the small bottle of wetting agent lasted me for close to ten years...

he also mentioned that if I wanted to make it look like the other fluids on the market to use a drop of green coloring dye..... :wink:

I've used this for 40 years with my Watts Parastat and Watts Preener and a Discwasher...

Thanks,

Walt Q

PS, brought a lot of vinyl back with me from that trip!
Walt Q

Postby ironic » 24 Feb 2009 21:52

Another nutmegger! Hi, Walt.

-Ron
ironic

Postby danmanch » 25 Feb 2009 02:40

I'll try that mix. Pretty much what I've formulated less the detergent.
What's a nuttmegger? A C.T. thing? Born In the Armpit Of Hartford.
Enlighten please..
danmanch

Postby ironic » 25 Feb 2009 19:58

danmanch wrote:I'll try that mix. Pretty much what I've formulated less the detergent.
What's a nuttmegger? A C.T. thing? Born In the Armpit Of Hartford.
Enlighten please..

"The sobriquet, the Nutmeg State, is applied to Connecticut because its early inhabitants had the reputation of being so ingenious and shrewd that they were able to make and sell wooden nutmegs. Sam Slick (Judge Halliburton) seems to be the originator of this story. Some claim that wooden nutmegs were actually sold, but they do not give either the time or the place."
ironic

Next

Return to Record Cleaning and Storage