the home of the turntable

Bad December 7th Joke

anything and nothing

Bad December 7th Joke

Postby Geno » 07 Dec 2007 04:33

Hear about the half black/half Japanese guy? Every year on December 7th he attacks Pearl Bailey...
sorry, couldn't help myself :cry:
Geno

Postby JollyJeweller » 07 Dec 2007 15:09

Almost nobody outside of the USA/Japan's gonna get that one....
You'll hear Angel Trumpets and Devil Trombones...you are invited.
Delphi/SME/Shelter/Whest/Trigon Pre & Powers/McCormack/NEAT Ultimatums/Squeezebox
JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Postby Brian C. » 07 Dec 2007 15:27

Gawd, that's an OLD one.
Positively antique.

Brian.
Brian C.
contributor

Re: Bad December 7th Joke

Postby Ernie L » 07 Dec 2007 16:23

Geno wrote:Hear about the half black/half Japanese guy? Every year on December 7th he attacks Pearl Bailey...
sorry, couldn't help myself :cry:

You had a couple of other options concerning December 7th 1941 and the more than 2400 people who lost their lives that day.

You didn't have to say anything .
You could have paid your respects.

I think I'll take a moment for remembrance for all the victims of this war. Sadness tinged remembrance for the powerless, innocent manipulated, victims of greed and megalomania.

I'm not trying to sound holier than thou..I just wanted to offer another perspective on this day.
Ernie L

Postby bauzace50 » 07 Dec 2007 16:32

@ Ernie, and all,
war and racism are insane. Mocking race, origin, color, creed says nothing about the subject undergoing the mocking.
bauzace50
As I watched the stars in the sky I wondered where the ceiling had gone.
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Postby JaS » 07 Dec 2007 18:35

I'm afraid that one went straight over my head. Having to Google Pearl Bailey to find out who she was, and not knowing that December 7th was the anniversary of Pearl Harbour kind of took away the edge.

I also read somewhere that this is the anniversary of Henry VI of England being crowned King of France in 1431 - so I guess we should be thinking of Joan of Arc and Seb's ancestors in Orleans in that dumb war too. Or we could just bury the hatchet with an even older bad joke #-o

What's the difference between Noah's Ark and Joan of Arc?
One is made of wood and the other is Maid of Orleans.

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Postby Ernie L » 07 Dec 2007 19:14

Jas wrote:I also read somewhere that this is the anniversary of Henry VI of England being crowned King of France in 1431 - so I guess we should be thinking of Joan of Arc and Seb's ancestors in Orleans in that dumb war too. Or we could just bury the hatchet with an even older bad joke #-o
Regards,
JaS

I see no need.for mockery.
Feel free to remember what ever you wish.. This event is still within the living memory of some of us..not 600 years ago

. . This is not a day to honor militarism, nor a vulgar display of nationalism.

There is no hatchet that needs to be buried either...Our Dec 7th remembrance ceremonies started as a memorial day for the fallen..not a national hate the Japanese day

.. Japanese and American veterans meet every year with handshakes,and sometimes tears to participate in the memorial services. The day has changed to one or remembering ALL the victims of the war..on every island or continent.

There were many more victims of the attack on Pearl Harbor than just Americans. They lived in the Philippines, China, Japan, Korea, Europe, the USA etc etc ...

Perhaps remembering the slaughter of innocents or honoring veterans really is out dated in Europe. It certainly is amongst some of our citizens... but not most..not yet.
Ernie L

Postby satanfriendly » 07 Dec 2007 20:04

Well said Ernie and Bauzace.

I don't think VE is the place to go airing both bad taste and racist jokes. I am not old enough (thank God) to remember Pearl Harbour, but I think out of respect to all those who were affected by it in one way or another, jokes of this nature should be kept between those who can actually find some humour in it and behave in a disrespectful manner.

I thank my lucky stars I wasn't brought up to join their ranks.
................................................................................2972.58734590245 = 28
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby ben556473 » 07 Dec 2007 21:39

I think the important thing is to remember those that gave their lives fighting for freedom at Pearl Harbour. In the defence of their country and with thought for the generations that were to come.
I would like to thank all of you for bringing this day of remembrance to my attention, as I am stuck late at work on Friday night, I have spent some time thinking of them and what they did. This makes me happy and gives me strength. Cheers, Ben.
ben556473

Postby JaS » 07 Dec 2007 22:42

Ernie L wrote:I see no need.for mockery.

Sorry, but I think you are reading something into my post that wasn't intended :?

My comment about Joan of Arc came about as the result of my search on 7th Dec Google turning up the Henry VI link. It was mainly meant as an aside for Seb (he will understand the reference) and not a direct response to your post. There is much history between the English and French and reading just a fraction of it left me with little choice but to laugh at the absurdity of it! I apologise if you thought I was mocking your comments, but I was actually commenting on a more distant conflict that still echos in the tabloid politics which are present in the UK. The title of the thread is 'Bad December 7th Joke' and its certainly turning into that...

I also agree that the original post was in poor judgement but I think a 'poor taste mate' would have sufficed? It was simply an old, poor taste joke derived from the similarity between two names and hardly warranted the response it got? I honestly don't think any offence was meant by this thread and we should all show a little more restraint before casting the first stone...

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Postby bauzace50 » 07 Dec 2007 22:59

And they picked up their tents, and quietly slipped away in the silence of the night...Exeunt...thanks.
b50
As I watched the stars in the sky I wondered where the ceiling had gone.
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Return to Off Topic