the home of the turntable

Adding materials to Turntable??

snap, crackle and pop

Postby bauzace50 » 05 Nov 2006 01:41

Zero One,
ADDITIONALLY, a non-migrating agent to replace migrating silicon, could be automobile front-wheel axle grease, or even automobile lithium grease. They could conceivably be damping agents, and would strongly resist migrating. Maybe they could be helpful, but I have not tried them.
bauzace50
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Postby Zero One » 06 Nov 2006 10:28

Here is a late breaking tweak, this one really rocks on TT.

After reading about the spot mat on a couple of sites, I made up a quick version of my own.

It consists of a thin sheet of non slip rubber matting (the thinest I have) and nine spots the size of a 20cent coin made from stick on cork, covered with a thin layer of bluetac with thicker non slip rubber mat circles stuck to the blutac.

It is nicely level and easily the best sounding mat I have used, the noise floor seems is gone to virtually inaudible. Nicer bass and improved resolution and the sound was great before the mat so I'm chuffed big time with this one.

I have another idea but it is a little radical, I reckon the remaining residual noise/vibration getting to the LPs would have to come via the spindle (mind you I can't really hear any at all now, but there must be something there according to common sense).

So.....

What if a made a little tube that neatly fitted over the spindle, then drilled a larger hole in the LP, then I put the LP on the deck over the dummy spindle. The disc won.t slip at all with the non slip matting on the circles.

Once all is centred I could pull the dummy spindle and I should be left with a disc that is virtually decoupled from the deck completely. I reckon it would take very little effort and If I needed to play the disc on a regular TT I could leave the dummy in place.

The only problem I see is drilling the LP without getting rubbish in the groovese etc.

I have twin copies of several discs so I will try it on one I don't like much.
Zero One

Postby Zero One » 07 Nov 2006 12:11

Thanks Chairguy, I appreciate the thought.

I tried the enlarged hole in LP idea tonight, I don't have a centering dummy made yet but it still gave me an idea of the value of the concept.

The result, the total removal of the last vestiges motor noise etc. Even with an ear right up to the speakers and the vol up I can hear nothing but a little high frequency surface noise.....and this was on a worn out and tacoed disc.

No problem playing even though the disc was not perfectly centred and no hint of slippage at all, defintely worth pursuing.
Zero One

Return to Turntables and Tonearms