Technics SP-10R

turning japanese
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Technics SP-10R

Post by Alec124c41 » 11 Feb 2018 05:24

Cartridges don't get jealous of each other. ;)

Cheers,
Alec

majick47

Post by majick47 » 19 Feb 2018 19:30

Another factor in the limited production of the new Technics tables may be the skilled labor force required to assemble the tables, recruiting and training techs to mfg, assemble and test the tables must of taken a good bit of time and expense. No doubt there is also a significant amount of quality control applied before these tables leave the Technics factory in Japan. you wont find any of these new Technics tables at discount chains and will only sold by high end audio shops that carry the full line of Technics high end audio equipment. It appears they have waiting lists so future production may be ramped up but this is still basically a niche market when you get in this price range even for the 1200GR let alone the SP10.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 21 Feb 2018 22:28

Well when you look at turntables from other manufacturers in that price range they don't seem to have any trouble to make enough to meet demand even though it would be the same niche market .

zgms

Post by zgms » 24 Jun 2019 13:20

No doubt its a beautiful turntable and Iam sure it sounds amazing,but I dont agree with 20k price tag or 9k for the sp 10 r. I mean,you can buy BMW or Ducati motorcycle for this kind of money. And these motorcycles considered a luxury product. Obviously production costs for building motorcycles is much higher and assembly is more complex. It goes a lot more engineering,mechanical and electronics into a motorcycles than this turntable. So,by comparing diferent mechanical products with motors ,you can see that this Technics is aimed not at music lovers,but at rich customers that have more money than sence or they just dont care about the price... How come it costs that much? I mean in real life you could probably charge 10k for full plinth ant tonearm model and 5k max for a motor unit only. I think Panasonic and Technics got greedy. Seriously, ridicilous prices. Id still would love to own one for a correct price.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 24 Jun 2019 16:56

The 10R is a flagship project at flagship pricing. technics now has a quality table from $1199 to $2K to ?? $4K - these fill most folks needs (mine for sure). I wonder to what extent the pricing on the 10R was influenced by market research : survey question to audio nutz :"at what price point would a super premium table be identified as definitely "better" than everything else we are making now ?".

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 24 Jun 2019 17:26

Clearly there is a market for turntables that cost five figures or more, or else the companies wouldn't be making them. It's not just Technics: Clearaudio's Master Innovation turntable is $28,000 without tonearm or $32,500 with 9" tonearm. Thorens' TD 907 is $15,000. ProJect's HL Signature is $12,000.

All of those are inexpensive compared to these:

• Transrotor Artus: $150,000
• Audio Consulting R-evolution Meteor: $176,000
• Transrotor Argos: $250,000
• Goldman Reference II: $300,000
• AV Design Haus Dereneville VPM 2010-1: $650,000

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 24 Jun 2019 18:11

My guess is that most of us on VE may be considered outright wacky based on what we spend on vinyl and vinyl playback.Certainly SWMBO'd would go lookkin for the ammo box if she had any idea how much I throw at this goofy hobby. But the truth is most of us on VE are still lookin for bang for the buck. Ya -the buck(s) spent is a relative thing - but I do know a couple of guys who really do think more $ gets you more music. So-if technics wants to earn their respect and trade - it's gotta be at a fairly high price point. At least the 10R appears to be a fine record playing instrument - not just gold plated for the sake of gold plating.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 24 Jun 2019 22:14

zgms wrote:
24 Jun 2019 13:20
No doubt its a beautiful turntable and Iam sure it sounds amazing,but I dont agree with 20k price tag or 9k for the sp 10 r. I mean,you can buy BMW or Ducati motorcycle for this kind of money. And these motorcycles considered a luxury product. Obviously production costs for building motorcycles is much higher and assembly is more complex. It goes a lot more engineering,mechanical and electronics into a motorcycles than this turntable. So,by comparing diferent mechanical products with motors ,you can see that this Technics is aimed not at music lovers,but at rich customers that have more money than sence or they just dont care about the price... How come it costs that much? I mean in real life you could probably charge 10k for full plinth ant tonearm model and 5k max for a motor unit only. I think Panasonic and Technics got greedy. Seriously, ridicilous prices. Id still would love to own one for a correct price.
I don't think in the big picture it is that expensive. ATC Scm100'S are 14,000 UK Pounds so around the same price and I think they are worth it. The rifle I competed with at the Nationals at the weekend cost 8.5k, scope alone was over 3k, and too me it is worth every cent especially when I win :).
20k is not really that much when you look at what other decent components cost. DNM pre amp, Conrad valve amps etc.
Chris