the home of the turntable

Logic Datum II tonearm

snap, crackle and pop

Logic Datum II tonearm

Postby Robert2473 » 20 Sep 2004 16:06

I have a Logic Datum II tonearm, but I don't know anything about it. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with specs. In addition, does anybody know where this ranked in the Logic line of tonearms? I see the manual for the Datum S is in the library. I also saw photos posted by Jas in the gallery (which is how I figured out what arm I have). Is the Datum II similar to the Datum S? Which arm was more highly regarded? Would it be worth rewiring for $100 or is that too much to invest in this old arm?

Thanks,
Robert2473

Postby JaS » 21 Sep 2004 08:16

I don't know alot about the arms but they where well reviewed in the 80's. The Datum II cost £119 (UKP) and was a much improved version of the original Datum arm (not a bad performer). The Datum 'S' which had improved cabling/bearings/counterweight cost £230. I guess this means your II would benefit from a wiring change? If you already like what the arm does then it might be worth the cost of improved wiring as generally it brings more detail and refinement without changing the nature of the arm too much; and as I say the Logic arms where well reviewed in their day.

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Logic Datum II tonearm

Postby Robert2473 » 21 Sep 2004 15:23

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like the arm is pretty good. I know that Maniticre used the Logic design (probably from the Datum S) as the basis for their highly regarded "Musician".

I am thinking that, as this arm is already mounted on my Mission 775 SM table, and everything (except the wiring) seems to be good, it may be worth rewiring. Otherwise I have to find an arm with the same specs as this, or redrill holes, or get a new turntable, or.......
Robert2473

Logic 'Datum'

Postby Guest » 19 Jan 2005 03:47

If i remember rightly the original Logic 'Datum' were built by Syrinx based closely on there early 'LE' arm design,production of the Datum was later taken over by Logic themselves,you can tell an early Datum over the Logic built one by a few tell tale signs such as arm rest pillar & markings on the counterballance weight.The 'Datum 2' on the other hand is a completely different arm altogether as well as a better looking one.Manticore did indeed take the Datum design further to manufacture of there own arm.All mounting details between the Datum & Datum 'S' are exactly the same.

Postby JaS » 19 Jan 2005 08:33

Thanks for that. I'd wondered about Logic's relationship with Syrinx and this is the best explanation I've heard.

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Return to Turntables and Tonearms