More Bounce = Less Bass?

a space odyssey
hobie1dog
United States of America

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by hobie1dog » 05 Dec 2018 11:20

I always wanted to build my own TT using a slab of granite about 4 inches thick and having no suspension at all.

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 05 Dec 2018 12:40

gwernaffield wrote:
04 Dec 2018 19:17
The deck is an odyssey ,but these have been fitted to orbes and gyros old and new, the deck is still suspending and kept to the datum points that it was machined from , so how about less bounce and better base, better sound stage ,better vocals , 100% better every thing , no strings attached , just read cheap upgrades from michell gyro on AOS ,Wam michell owners club , and see if you can disagree, because those how have them cannot believe what was hidden
orbe 3.jpeg
alans gyro .jpg
Gwernaffield -how much is a set please, with postage to a UK address?

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 05 Dec 2018 12:56

hi they are made to order , at £75 out of delrin , i need to know how old the deck is, michell changed the hole size,i need to know the size of the spring retainer , so i can have them made to that size, michell changed the size some were around 2012 ,to the smaller version , or i will just make the larger version and you can file them down your self ,
you will also need to buy from Michell the PTFE washer ,these seem to be made to any size,but they are now std and you need to use them to keep the belt at the correct height you need to fit it , if you want new ones they will be extra as i have to buy them from michell ,

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 05 Dec 2018 13:03

it is nothing like the pederson mod , it uses the michell suspension and 6 o-rings, pederson uses 3 o rings and kevlar wire drills and taps holes in the chassis adds plastic padding and sand ,
, it is Not even like solidairaudio who uses string and wood but you have to buy the feet total of them is £339 ,
, these use the datum points the chassis is machined from , and the adjuster , they can be hidden under the caps,
easy to fit but are only made to order ,

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 05 Dec 2018 13:31

My Gyro SE was made in January 2016. I will measure the retainers at the weekend and let you know the size.

How do you take payment?

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 05 Dec 2018 14:56

they should be 73.6 pm me on here please

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 08 Dec 2018 11:33

more bounce less bounce, i suppose this is down to how you set the height under chassis, i think it is felt washer plus 1-2mm, any more the belt will not be in the correct position on the gyro , it makes no difference on the orbe , the gyro has drive grooves left over from when the motor was fixed to the chassis , so now you have to get the Bounce within
Michell Instructions, and set the centering on the Belt using the Cam affect of the springs , if that is not followed the belt will slip (wow and flutter) if the motor is not centered it will also catch the side of the chassis causing more frequencies
to be transmitted through the chassis and the belt , with loss of clarity and detail , the problem with the springs they let the chassis try to twist in use and start up , this then causes all kinds of frequencies to be out of sync , if you lower the whole chassis onto the felt washer you will hear the difference it will sound flat , lift it to the correct height and it will sound better but still not quite correct , always something is missing /muffled, bass is a bit muddy voicing can be slightly off , until you can stop the chassis moving you will always have this problem ,