the home of the turntable

Jelco tonearm lift

snap, crackle and pop

Jelco tonearm lift

Postby kman » 20 Aug 2008 12:06

I have an Audio Technica ATP-12T tonearm that is mounted on a custom plinth with a Technics SP-25 turntable. I like the arm a lot and it works quite well with my Audioquest 7000nsx moving coil. One concern I have is using the delicate AQ cartridge without cueing on the tonearm.

I am therefore looking for a manual tonearm lift to use with the ATP-12T. I have found that Jelco makes one (JL-45):

http://www.jelco-ichikawa.co.jp/accessor.htm

However, I cannot seem to find a source to buy this accessory. Does anyone know where I can purchase the JL-45 or a similar product?
kman

Re: Jelco tonearm lift

Postby kman » 21 Aug 2008 00:38

They have an E-mail address listed on the site home page

Thanks, I emailed them a while ago but did not get a response.
kman

Tonearm lift

Postby delcam1n0 » 21 Aug 2008 11:48

I'm not sure as the Jelco lift is not part of
their stock listed on the web but you could
google for "Audio Cubes II" in Japan and
eMail them to see if they could supply one
perhaps?

Or it may be worth trying to contact J7 at
AudioOrigami...perhaps he's got a lift left
from his travails with arms?
delcam1n0
long player
long player

Postby kman » 21 Aug 2008 12:47

Thanks for the responses, all good ideas. I finally heard from Jelco today and it is possible to order the lift directly from them. The cost is 5000 yen plus 1500 yen for shipping to USA. They suggest I check the drawing on their web site to make sure the lift will work with my arm/table setup which is something I initially did not think about.... :o
kman

Postby delcam1n0 » 21 Aug 2008 14:27

kman
Well, I guess I would spend those
US$60 if I really were in need of
one....

But, as a further thought, some ancient
lifts (Colton, Decca and even AT I think)
sometimes do pop up on the 'Bay...
(In the VE Gallery here is
a nice oldie Ortofon one too..)

Just a matter of patience!

Keep us posted!
delcam1n0
long player
long player

Postby kman » 01 Sep 2008 14:39

Well it turns out after an email exchange with Mr. Uchida of Jelco that this lift may not work on my SP-25 custom plinth/ATP-12T tonearm setup.

Since my original post, I have seen ads for the Yamamoto AL-2 and vintage Colson Precise lifts. The Yamamoto would work although I am not sure there is enough room to place it on my plinth in the right position. The Colson might fit better than the Yamamoto on my plinth. However, both of these lifts are very expensive.

I may have to either mount a new arm or wait for cheaper prices on the Yamamoto or Colson.... :(
kman

Postby mosin » 01 Sep 2008 15:42

Hi,

The Jelco basic lift mechanism will work, but the arm needs a fixture fabricated for it. Here's an example of a project from awhile back.

Several guys online wanted one, so I designed it, and a friend machined several of them from aluminum plate. Then, they were anodized, and I fitted the pieces. The tonearm for this project was an AT-1005 II, but it would apply to your tonearm, as well.

Also, we are sometimes lucky enough to adapt parts from broken tonearms to others where they are actually useful. Here's an example. It is a Syntec/Sedco/Piezo. It sold under all those names, but is really the original AT-1005. Anyway, the lift is one adapted from a trashed MAS 282.

Think outside the box because that's where the answer lies.

Good luck,
Win
mosin
contributor

United States of America

Jelco

Postby Blue Angel » 01 Sep 2008 17:53

Nice pics, mosin my man :D

I also enquired from Jelco Japan about their arm lifts and was shoo'ed away by the price. I suppose one cannot blame Jelco for asking so much as the numbers they manufacture must be much lower than in the day...

I have had to adapt arm fittings a few times to accomodate replacement lifts from junked arms. A source for 2nd hand lifts are often people selling and servicing dj decks. These guys are often very enthusiastic and sometimes break arms instead of 'breaking a leg'. You may be able to pick up a broken arm from places like this with a serviceable lift thrown in.

If the arm fitting is too big or small, a spacer bush can be turned on a lathe or the old hole can be milled out.

blue
"If you don't like my principles, I have others" - Groucho Marx
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Postby kman » 01 Sep 2008 19:24

Nice pictures and thanks for the advice. I'll be looking at Ebay for junked arms. Do you have an idea what might fit the base of an ATP-12T tonearm without a lot of "surgery"?
kman

Return to Turntables and Tonearms