the home of the turntable

Currently Playing

name that tune

Pillows and Prayers

Postby JaS » 23 Jan 2004 19:07

I spent 99p of my hard earned pocket money on this when I was a lad and it still gets pulled out from time to time. Highlights included Joe Crow's 'Compulsion' with a synth sound that sounded dated even back then! Also features tracks by both Tracey Thorne and Ben Watt; and one from their latest project 'Everything but the Girl'. This topped the UK indie charts for 20 weeks and deservedly so, fabulous stuff...

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Jumble sales ROCK!

Postby Mark E Smith's Dentist » 07 Feb 2004 23:55

I was at a jumble sale today and I scored some great original Dave Brubeck records for 40p each that looked like they hadn't been played since the 60s. I got a copy of Pillows and Prayers at a car boot sale last year and I didn't pay more than 99p. My father introduced me to John Mayalls Blues Breakers and I love that too but as Elvis Costello said talking about music is like dancing about architecture so I'll stop.
Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby TRIPOD » 08 Feb 2004 04:02

Hi JaS,

HMV-Amazon here in Canada is still saling vinyls at a good price and often I buy both the vinyl and the CD just to compare ! I didn't found to date a CD player rending the full presence of a good TT and be assured that I have try a lot of them. The only ones approaching vinyl-like presence are the tubes ones, top of their respective lines, they are not cheap and even then we still are at the mercy of mass manufactured (often low grade) CDs production.

Unlike vinyls, still today, only few labels produce very good quality CDs (Narada, Sheffield's Lab, Windham Hill, Proprius, Three Blind Mice etc.) and they don't necessairly produce LPs anymore. I had, over the years to renew some of my rare vinyls titles in CDs but I rarely found one sounding like the original LP (they are not all remastered yet and I think that is part of the problem, they are not all fitted to be played digitally !) and as always, when I want presence, vinyl is still playing !

TRIPOD
TRIPOD
contributor

Canada

Postby smee » 20 Feb 2004 01:58

Currently listening to Radio 1, Trojan Records special show! :D
Also Bob Marley & the Wailers "Babylon by Bus" fantastic live album.
smee
contributor

Great Britain

Postby JaS » 28 Feb 2004 20:37

I just watched 'Lost in Translation' which included 'Just like Honey' in the soundtrack and inspired me to dig out my old copy of Jesus and Mary Chains 'Psycho Candy' album. I have no idea why this has been unplayed for so long, beautiful melodies wrapped up in a huge wash of sound and understated vocals. Great music.

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Currently playing..........

Postby neven » 04 Mar 2004 11:36

neven

Australia

Postby Rocksnob » 06 Mar 2004 07:37

At the moment I am cycling through my new stash (about 35 new records) mostly 80s new wave, but some 70s rock peppered in the mix, and a bit of 60s british invasion. Really enjoying the Elvis Costello and the kinks. Plus a few Velvet Underground albums managed to sneak they're way from the record shelf onto my table.
E.D.
Rocksnob

the church!

Postby colclarke » 10 Mar 2004 01:47

The Church - The Church

Just looking through the c's and rediscovered this from 82. Got it originally for 'the unguarded moment' - great riff, heard once on the radio. Then the whole album became a favourite. Sounds even better now. 60's TD150 playing 80's vinyl in 2004. Who'd a thought it?

Col
colclarke
contributor

Great Britain

Mahlers Fifth

Postby Ambient Housewife » 11 Mar 2004 20:44

With Herb von K on DG, not too bad but not as good as the Decca Solti second I listened to yesterday. We have just moved, and so glad to finally get the TT up and running!

"Wouldn't you just die without Mahler"

Cheers

D[/quote]
Ambient Housewife
contributor

Great Britain

Postby smee » 11 Apr 2004 01:30

Today's charity shop finds:

Another Green World - Brian Eno (near mint :D )

The Astrud Gilberto Album - Astrud Gilberto (extremely scratched, music sounds great, but the crackling is louder! It sounds as if Astrud was frying bacon during the session!! :roll: )

Total cost: £1.50 :shock:

Also enjoying: The Flat Earth - Thomas Dolby
smee
contributor

Great Britain

Dave Brubeck

Postby JaS » 06 May 2004 19:51

I just discovered Dave Brubeck; well sort of.

The minute I heard the album 'Time Out' I realised that I was already a fan! The whole album was just so familiar even to a certified member of the 'rave' generation, and the influences of one of my old favourites the Penguin Cafe Orchestra suddenly became all too obvious..

To Brubeck fans it might seem I'm a little late on the bandwagon but imagine how I feel hearing it properly for the first time :) Great stuff!

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Postby smee » 07 May 2004 02:30

Hey! I bought that last week from Oxfam! (one of my favourite record shops :wink: ) It is indeed good although my knowledge of Jazz fits on a postage stamp!! :lol:

Anyway tonight I have been mostly listening to The Rapture, live in Manchester MDH -must check out their album. Their support band, The Futureheads, were cracking too. Nice lads to work with as well - that makes being a sound engineer easier! 8)
smee
contributor

Great Britain

Postby JaS » 01 Jul 2004 08:34

I played these to death 10 years ago but after a short break they sound as fresh as ever :) Turn on tune in drop out...

Psychic TV - Beyond the Infinite Beat / Towards the Infinite Beat

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Postby smee » 03 Jul 2004 02:10

This week, after returning from working at Glastonbury, I have mostly been listening to errr, Kate Bush. :shock: I'm rapidly concluding that "Running up that hill" is one of my favourite tunes ever.

Also playing:
Can - Tago Mago
Propaganda - A Secret Wish
smee
contributor

Great Britain

Postby JaS » 03 Jul 2004 07:21

Cloudbursting still gives me goose bumps :roll:

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room