the home of the turntable

YAQIN MS-12B Phono Pre-Amplifier

the thin end of the wedge

Postby Cobra2 » 30 Aug 2007 17:29

Cobra2
contributor

Norway

Postby mattjk » 12 Sep 2007 09:22

Just got mine, and it sounds great even with the stock tubes.

A few days later I put my Audio Research PH3 for sale on audiogon.
mattjk

Postby bOUddha » 12 Sep 2007 16:05

They are a pleasant surprise! Another surprise awaits when you try some NOS 12AU7s and 12AX7s...

IMO, these perform out of all proportion to their cost. :shock:
bOUddha

Postby mattjk » 12 Sep 2007 21:51

Cobra2 wrote:What it sounds like?
Those that have tone (BASS/TREBLE) control, or can remember this...try setting bass to -2 and treble to +3, add a hi-cut/hiss filter (8+kHz - 3dB rolloff). My MS-12B sounds even worse.

TT; Technics SP-10 MkII / AudiOrigami arm + Micro Seiki MA-505 MkIII arm, various Ortofon, Shure & Stanton MM pickups, Denon & Lyra MC pickup+ Jensen KT-44 stepup.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachme ... 1168014890

Arne K

That's unfortunate. Mine is perfectly balanced and sounds remarkably similar in tone to the ARC PH3, but with a bit more bass.

I'm still amazed at how good this unit sounds. Beats the pants off my old AI mod3a, and for only $185 shipped! I opted for the surface shipping. took exactly 1 month from Hong Kong to the US.

Instead of paying for NOS tubes, I'll probably end up doing some PS and riaa upgrades.
mattjk

Postby Cobra2 » 12 Sep 2007 23:33

So, I must have a defective unit...
Maybe I should check/measure all components, and give it one more chance.

Arne K
Cobra2
contributor

Norway

UK Distributor

Postby brianwatson » 15 Sep 2007 17:29

Just found a UK distributor for the Yaqin amps at http://www.yaqin.co.uk
brianwatson
contributor

Yaqin preamp

Postby bamacoo » 09 Feb 2008 05:32

I just bought one yesterday. Hooked it up but rolled tubes first.
Am using 2 Mullard 12AX7 and 2 Raytheon gold pin 12AU7
I gotta tell you I am blown away with the clarity, imaging, soundstage. I'm have an ADC 1600 DD with the ALT-1 arm and QLM 36 MKii and I played my Susuki trio album "Black Orpheus" and the bass was stunning. Unbelievable sound. I met the guy here in Toronto Song is his name (went to his house). He tests each and every one of these preamps before they leave his house. They are build to his specifications by Yaqin and let me put it this way...I just sold a modded Conrad Johnson PV-2 which was damn good, well this beats the PV2-. Listened to Patricia Barber Companion and the vocals gave me goose bumps. For $260 CAN you can't go wrong. They are on ebay for $257+ taxes.

Buy one you won't regret it. By the way I have a HK PA-2400 Signature series power amp 170x170 very sweet and seems to match perfect.

There that is my review.

Now help me. I have an opportunity to buy a Rotel RP-850 tomorrow with a Nagaoka cartridge for $250, or a Dual CS450 with a Grado green which one you buy?

Cheers!

bamacoo
bamacoo

Postby yanovski » 18 Feb 2008 14:54

Hey guys,
Just bought one Ms-12b on ebay....i've immediatly changed the provided tubes with 2 12AU7 from La Radiotechnique 1958, and 2 Sylvania Brown 12AX7....

The result is just incredible. Really, i didn't thought that the music will be so improved. My first impressions are more into what it improved either about what it really adds. And i think that's a really important matter with this preamp. It won't change the sound you already have, it'll drastically improve it. It'll keep the original flavor of your sources, and that's very important to me, because i didn't want something that adds a personnality to something that already have one. Just think about your wife, with make up and without ;-) It's the same woman without, but with it, it's better...although the make up is great for sure. It's the same here.

I'm feeding the MS12B with a Marantz CD6000 and a Project Perspective with a Shure Vn5vxmr. The ms-12b feeds my Marantz PM7200 (love the marantz sound...) and two Quad 11L speakers.

For this price, it's not just a bargain, it's a must have !!

hope this helps

c ya

Y
yanovski

yaqin ms-12b

Postby ampig » 08 Mar 2008 23:28

I'm very interested in this unit. Anyone know if it will mate with a high-output moving coil cartridge? I have the Dynavector 20X-H. Peak output is 2.8 mv. Works fine with my current pre-amp - Bellari vp129.

Thanks.
ampig

Postby NewOldVinyl » 01 Apr 2008 05:08

I just took the bait and ordered the MS-12B from a Canadian dealer on eBay. Wish me luck. Now I need to order some different tubes. It never ends. :twisted:

BTW I suspect it's "Yaoin" and not "Yaqin", notwithstanding some of the dealers billing it as "Yaqin". I could be wrong though. :wink:
NewOldVinyl

Postby bOUddha » 01 Apr 2008 15:21

ampig-

I'm using one with a Sumiko Blackbird @ 2.5v, and it's beyond every expectation I had. :D

NewOldVinyl-

My suspicion is that it's actually neither a Q or an O, but my Chinese is pretty much limited to rudimentary menu considerations. I asked the wonderful Mom & Pop owners of my favorite Egg Roll Palace which letter they thought it was, and both replied "Yeah, that Chinese! You want plastic fork?"

And as far as the tube upgrades...you should notice remarkable improvements and obvious characteristic differences with whatever tubes you try. This amp can keep pace with the best of'em!
bOUddha

Postby NewOldVinyl » 01 Apr 2008 18:16

I asked the wonderful Mom & Pop owners of my favorite Egg Roll Palace which letter they thought it was, and both replied "Yeah, that Chinese! You want plastic fork?"

Heh, that made me laugh.

I ordered some tubes: Sovtek 12AX7-LPS and Electro-Harmonix 12AU7A. Matched pairs. I also ordered a new cartridge for my Technics SL-1200MK2 with OL1 arm: Ortofon 2M Bronze.

Now I'm hunting for a good integrated amp. I do most of my listening through headphones. I want the option of tone controls, which unfortunately rules out a lot of gear including purpose-built headphone amps. :( I'm considering an Onkyo A-9555(S). Anyone know anything about it? http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-9555S-Integrated-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B000J40PSE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207069973&sr=8-2 Apparently it got a favorable review from The Absolute Sound.
NewOldVinyl

Postby NewOldVinyl » 03 Apr 2008 00:56

btw, The Canadian eBay seller of my Yaoin/Yaqin preamp turns out to be Song Audio. The seller has been very communicative, shipped my order immediately, and encouraged me to give him my comments on the preamp after I've had the chance to audition it.

http://www.songaudio.com/about.html
NewOldVinyl

Postby NewOldVinyl » 15 Apr 2008 05:08

OK, so I got the Yaqin today, have had only a brief opportunity to listen.

Two words: Feng shui!

The first thing I noticed was some hum. Not a lot, but enough to be bothersome. Through trial and error I discovered that if I placed my hand over the 12AX7s, I could greatly reduce the hum. Fiddled around with that, got nowhere. Tried relocating some equipment, including turning the Yaqin 90 degrees, and got immediate improvement. Fiddled around with *that* some more and finally got rid of 90% of the hum.

Feng shui I tell you! ;)

Much more listening to be done but with the hum nearly gone, my first impression is favorable. :)
NewOldVinyl

Wrong info....not song audio at all

Postby bamacoo » 15 Apr 2008 05:31

NewOldVinyl wrote:btw, The Canadian eBay seller of my Yaoin/Yaqin preamp turns out to be Song Audio. The seller has been very communicative, shipped my order immediately, and encouraged me to give him my comments on the preamp after I've had the chance to audition it.

http://www.songaudio.com/about.html

Hi the Yaqin is not from Song audio. I know Mr. Kim from song audio and he makes very high-end equipment like the vasant and other stuff.

The guy that sells the Yaqin his name is song and I also know him.
Two different people my friend. As a matter of fact, song is in China as we speak and will be returning on the 25th april.

To make a long story short, I also have one of the preamps and I rolled the tubes with Mullard 12ax7's and Raytheon 12au7's and I posted earlier this year or last that this preamp is a giant killer. I had an ASL-AQ2006DT which costs 7 times the price of the Yaqin and can not come close to it.

Cheers!

:D
bamacoo

PreviousNext

Return to Cartridges and Preamps