Sl-7 Disassembly Problem

turning japanese
Skauneboy

Re: Sl-7 Disassembly Problem

Post by Skauneboy » 06 Nov 2013 19:46

Just completed a thorough restoration of a SL-10. Only thing not working is the light bulb on the Drive PCB. Anyone know of a suitable replacement? No specs are listed in the service manual. Part no. is SFDNC10-02.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 06 Nov 2013 20:19

Was looking around for specs but got here instead:

https://www.partstore.com/SearchResults ... Components

Hope this helps.... and welcome to VE..... :)

Fred

Skauneboy

Post by Skauneboy » 06 Nov 2013 23:13

Thanks Fred. Yeah I've found it on a few of those online part stores but I'm doubting that they really are available. Plus the American ones only ship within the US. I was hoping that there would be some kind of generic replacement bulb. I guess I could always measure the voltage across the bulb and at least get one with the correct voltage rating.

MightyManfred

Post by MightyManfred » 28 Nov 2013 01:54

I'm so glad I found this forum and this thread! I have an SL-7 I bought new while stationed in what was West Germany. No problem with it until this week. Don't use it often. Tone arm wouldn't move. Turned out the drive belt was worn out. A faucet washer from Ace hardware, 1 1/16 inch diameter, works just fine! 79 cents. They have two in this size - the skinny one looked to be a perfect match. Tunes comin' out my old turntable again. Happy!

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 07 Mar 2014 16:41

Thanks to lensmanMK2 for this servo adjustment alternative:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=66380&p=527228#p527228

Happy restoration.

Fred

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 07 Mar 2014 17:09

cheers fred,didnt even know this thread existed!

now bookmarked :)

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 07 Mar 2014 17:18

LOL ^

Now if I / we could devise a permanent solution to broken dust cover ears holding the lid down there'd be a lot more SL-7s being used and we could help out mtaz downunder:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=66016

Fred w/ a Technics Van Gogh.... #-o

zoraidex

Post by zoraidex » 07 Jul 2014 12:34

Hello everybody,
Thanks to all for having solved so many issues with Technics linears!!
My SL-10 tonearm sticks :( , so I have ordered the new belt and I am confident that it will solve the problem, but...
The switches on the top do not work: only the cueing button works, and the start button (only at low speed, and of course the tonearm stops at a certain point from lack of energy - I think).
However, if I put a 45 on the turntable, the tonearm moves OK at full speed.
The little red arrow ligts on the buttons do not work (except for cueing and start/low speed).
Any suggestion for cleaning/fixing these switches?
Might be some bad contact elsewhere?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Andrea from Italy (excuse my poor English)

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 08 Jul 2014 03:01

Welcome to VE..... :)

Have you downloaded all manuals for the SL-10 from the VE library..... :-k

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... l-10.shtml

Top buttons from left to right.....

Refer to the manual, the first button is the power switch / standby switch, check bubble 12 of 4th page of Owners manual for operation and explanation of lights.

If your SL 10 has been stored for a while, try cycling the buttons ie pressing them a lot, hopefully, function will return, repeat, start 2 speeds and stop >> 2 speeds.

If further cleaning is required, study / locate control PCB on p 26.

Good luck.

Fred

zoraidex

Post by zoraidex » 08 Jul 2014 14:07

Thanks Fred :D
Yes I have downloaded all the manuals (I still have the original instruction manual!!) and I wait for the belts to arrive by post before starting to disassemble, clean and all.
I am not an expert at all, but I like to try, so I tried many years ago to disassemble the upper cover. Then I did not know :( that the stay could be liberated by pulling (I still wonder if I am going to make a mess by pulling the thing :roll: ).
So I could not fully open the upper cover, could not unscrew all the screws, but all the same I managed to squeeze in to fix the switches - temporarily - by inserting little pieces of cardboard to increase the thickness. Now they have ceased again to work.
What I was wondering... #-o Is there any general measure to fix this kind of pressure buttons, by cleaning or whatsoever?
It should not only be a problem of technics owners :wink: these switches are everywhere...
Thanks again for your help
Andrea

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 20 Jul 2014 21:46

bad day yesterday.. my SL7 topped itself.. again! with the platter spinning at mach 3..again.

had the same problem about a year ago after recapping it,cut a long story short with the help of supawales on here found out the silkscreening had the wrong polarity marked on the board.

so opened it up and found one of the old 1uf caps i put back in to diagnose it had spilled its guts on the board,didnt have any 1uf electrolytics but i did have some 5% tolerance poly caps.

pretty surprising result,a more 3d soundstage and a darker background to the music,well worth it considering theyve just been sitting in the parts bin

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 22 Jul 2014 15:59

lensmanMK2 wrote:bad day yesterday.. my SL7 topped itself.. again! with the platter spinning at mach 3..again.

had the same problem about a year ago after recapping it,cut a long story short with the help of supawales on here found out the silkscreening had the wrong polarity marked on the board.
......snippage......
pretty surprising result,a more 3d soundstage and a darker background to the music,well worth it considering theyve just been sitting in the parts bin
Congrats lmanMK2 on getting the speed sorted..... =D>

Curious in ref to the picture which cap was silkscreened out of phase / reverse...... :shock: #-o :-k

Inquiring minds want to know....TIA.

Fred

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 22 Jul 2014 16:35

i think it was c208 fred,funnily enough that was the one that topped itself,bit too much reverse voltage probably sealed its fate!

zoraidex

Post by zoraidex » 24 Jul 2014 12:28

Hello everybody!
I'm so happy!! :D
I managed to open up the top of my SL-10, cleaned the motor pulleys, replaced the 30 years old belt, left untouched the dial cord and the wheels as the grease is still smooth, removed the top printed circuit with the lazy/faulty pressure buttons, cleaned its contacts and then I just flooded the buttons - still on the circuit board - many times with isopropyl alcohol, while pressing them repeatedly.
Of course I avoided flooding the other components...
IT WORKED!!
Actually, on reassembly I had to reopen the thing two more times: :roll: :roll: the first time I forgot about the white cover switch, that remained pressed and prevented any movement of the turntable, then the second time I forgot to insert the section of square tube that protects the wires of the tonearm under the black cover, so the tonearm could not progress beyond the middle of the LP....
All's well that ends well!
Now all the lights appear, the commands respond promptly and I'm enjoying Ry Cooder on one of the first digital vinyl recordings. 8)
I'm also glad that this time I managed not to make a mess and destroy the turntable for good! :) :)
Thanks to Fred and to all the people that have left trace of their efforts in this forum!
Andrea

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 24 Jul 2014 18:44

nice one! great when everything goes to plan,and another nice turntable saved from the skip!