the home of the turntable

Pioneer PL-12 Issues - Possibly Motor

the final frontier

Pioneer PL-12 Issues - Possibly Motor

Postby daajaaphonics » 20 Aug 2013 04:13

Hello,

I have a Pioneer PL-12D that I bought used. It was missing some things to say the least. I just bought a headshell, a new belt, and a new cartridge. I just replaced the belt and headshell but am still waiting on the cartridge. I tried to turn on the turntable, but the plate still doesn't spin. The motor gets hot but still no turning.

Would there be any solution to this other than getting a new motor? Is there a way to repair the current motor?

I'm completely new to turntables so any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
daajaaphonics

United States of America

Re: Pioneer PL-12 Issues - Possibly Motor

Postby rhomanski » 20 Aug 2013 04:33

It could be a froze up motor, which would mean a complete disassembly and lube of the motor. Unless it turns. It could be a frozen platter bearing. Unless it turns. Could be demon possessed.

I'm betting on a froze up motor from your description. You'll have to take the motor apart and clean the bearing surfaces with alcohol or acetone or something. Then re-oil it and it should be fine for more years of use.

If worse comes to worse, that same motor is used in the PL-10 and PL-A45D. The part number is KXM-015. The PL-A45D doesn't have the exact same motor but is a substitute PXM-044. If you can find a parts unit cheap, you can steal a motor out of it.
rhomanski
long player
long player

Postby daajaaphonics » 20 Aug 2013 04:59

Thanks rhomanski,

I just took out the part that holds the motor in. It seems there is another little frame holding the actual motor in. Do I have to remove this? Also can I use a contact cleaner to clean it? I've never done this before so please bear with me.
daajaaphonics

United States of America

Postby jives11 » 20 Aug 2013 07:21

I *think* the kind of cleaning rhomanski is describing would involve completely dismantling the motor and removing the inner rotor, in order to be able to clean and re-lubricate the motors bearings.

This subject is discussed on a sister forum herehttp://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=342990 . Some people seem to be able to free-up a seized motor without performing a complete dismantle, and I think I'd follow that route first.

I replied on your similar thread, but I recall the motor is held together by two long screws. Each has two sets of nuts on it , an inner and an outer. the outer set needs to be removed with some kind of long socket or box spanner as they are recessed. You will not be able to turn the bolts with both nuts in place, the outers have to be removed first. Once apart you need to clean the rod at each end which runs through the central rotor and clean the cups into which it sits. There maybe thrust bearings in those cups i.e small ball bearings, so care is needed, and also care during re-assembly to ensure the hole thing goes back as before with everything carefully aligned. Its probably quite a job, and the sort of thing I'd prefer to try first on a broken spare or repair deck to be honest

If you do follow this process, it would be great if you could take some pictures as you go. Suspect a lot of people could use a detailed break down set of pictures of a PL12 motor (well I could ;) )
Freeway Mad - Hard Rock & Roll from Reading
jives11
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby daajaaphonics » 20 Aug 2013 16:00

Thanks jives!

I completely disassembled it last night. There is a tiny screw holding together the motor pulley. Will I need to remove this screw to clean the inside of the motor pulley. I've only cleaned potentiometers in the past in electronics, never a motor. So is there anything I should know that could potentially damage the motor? Is isopropyl alcohol generally safe to use with motors, as in is it ok to soak the motor in it?
daajaaphonics

United States of America

Re: Pioneer PL- 12 Issues - Possibly Motor

Postby Coffee Phil » 20 Aug 2013 20:33

Hi daajaaphonics,

I have never owned one of these machines but I have had friends who did. I think they nice machines and worthy of some effort to get running again.

I'll throw out my thoughts on the motor. First off here is a link to Chris Cuff cleaning a motor from an RCA motor from a little 45 changer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpDpJ3kP318

This motor has some similarities to your motor. In particular the self aligning bearings. Note the procedure he uses to align the bearings as he assembles the motor. As he tightens the through bolts he taps on the motor with a screwdriver handle. He likes lighter fluid for a cleaner. I use lacquer thinner. Both are fine but they are toxic and flammable. Do this outside and please be careful. I would soak out all the old lube from the bearings and clean the motor shafts well. I would not submerge the stator and coils unless you have reason to believe that the coils have been contaminated by some ionic stuff like salty water. If you think there may have been salty water in the coils submerge it into several changes of distilled water. If you have to do that it should go into an oven at ~135 degrees F for several hours to dry out.

Keep track of all of the thrust washers and re-assemble as they were. Criss shows putting a bit of oil on the motor shafts. That is good but I would look for wicks around the bearings at each end. After drying out the cleaning solvent soak the wicks with oil. I like sewing machine oil for this. After you get all the oil into the wicks which they will hold wipe off the end pieces with a paper towel before assembly. You don't want oil on the belt.

After re-assembly of the motor it should spin freely. Did you check this before you disassembled the motor? If the motor still wont run there could be a short in the motor coils. Smell the coils. If there is a short they will get hot and smell real bad.

Let us know what happens after the motor is back together so we can think of the next step.

Phil

daajaaphonics wrote:Thanks jives!

I completely disassembled it last night. There is a tiny screw holding together the motor pulley. Will I need to remove this screw to clean the inside of the motor pulley. I've only cleaned potentiometers in the past in electronics, never a motor. So is there anything I should know that could potentially damage the motor? Is isopropyl alcohol generally safe to use with motors, as in is it ok to soak the motor in it?
Coffee Phil
long player
long player

United States of America

Return to Pioneer