the home of the turntable

Newbie w/ Pro-Ject 1.2 - Need advice!

czech it out

Newbie w/ Pro-Ject 1.2 - Need advice!

Postby andycnz » 09 Apr 2013 13:31

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Pro-Ject 1.2 off someone who bought it new in 1994 and never used it, and barely took it out of the box.

I am a complete newbie to turntables and need some advice on getting up and running and also looking for any information on my particular turntable that you could give me.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

First of all I have put some pictures up.

What is the red tab on the tonearm for? Should it be removed?

What can you tell me about the cartridge and stylus? Is it likely to be an MC or MM Cartridge?

What pre-amp should I use? Should I stick with a Pro-Ject one (if so which) or will a generic brand do?

I am planning on running the turntable through my the auxiliary input on my Bose Sounddock for the time being. Is there anything I need to know?

Are there any particular things I should look out for, or avoid for that matter?

I guess I will slowly learn what all the adjusters at the end of the tone arm do and how I should adjust them.

Lastly, in the box there was a packet of extras, I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on what they are for?

Thanks,

Andrew

andycnz

New Zealand

Re: Newbie w/ Pro-Ject 1.2 - Need advice!

Postby markcass » 09 Apr 2013 18:52

Hi

I don't own a Pro-ject deck, but I think I can answer most of these questions.

The red tab should be removed, as it's clearly there just to lock the arm in place during transit. You won't be able to move the arm over the record unless you take it off.

The cartridge is an Ortofon OM10, an MM type which shouldn't be too demanding of a phono stage/preamp. The Pro-ject preamps can be very good; I used to own a Phonobox SE, and the later SE II is well-liked. This has now been replaced by the DS+, so you might find an SE II at a good price. Below this there is the Phono Box S, another new model. Even the most basic Phono Box MM should work perfectly well with the Ortofon, which can be upgraded with the Stylus 20 when/if you feel like it.

As to the accessories: top left is a simple stylus pressure balance, to make it easier to set the correct pressure. Next to it, in the plastic bag, there are what looks like a spare belt and (probably) an adapter for 45 rpm singles with large centre holes.

Below these, you have a basic alignment gauge, only needed if you are fitting another cartridge, though you can use it to check the alignment of the one fitted. On top of that, the key-like object is actually a tool to change speed by moving the belt on the metal pulley, which has two levels for the different speeds, 33 and 45. Currently, it's set for 45 rpm according to the previous image. The tool enables you to move the belt without getting grease from your skin on it; this can adversely affect the belt, necessitating frequent cleaning.

UK importer Henley Designs have some useful set-up guides on their site. The video for the Debut SE/3 https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/Debut-Set-Up-c585 is currently up, and this deck is reasonably close in design to the 1.2, so the video should be some help. There's also a PDF of a general Pro-ject turntable manual.

It looks as though the bias (anti-skate) weight and thread are missing from the back of the arm. The thread should hook over the black metal wire nearest the platter (see 3rd photo). If these aren't somewhere in the packaging, you'll need to obtain spares from a Pro-ject dealer.

HTH

Mark
markcass
contributor

Great Britain

Postby jackfish » 09 Apr 2013 20:36

Instruction manual found here: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pro-ject/1.2.shtml

A great upgrade would be an LP Gear stylus for the Ortofon OMB-30 cartridge for $130. Vivid Line contact diamond stylus on a thin wall Zualum cantilever.

What other equipment will you be using this table with?
jackfish

Postby andycnz » 10 Apr 2013 04:43

Thanks Mark!

I will start looking out for pre-amps. There are a few on Amazon, and some local dealers here. Any idea's on some other good online retailers for that sort of thing?

Is the anti-skate weight and thread something that is likely to have come standard with the turntable? I don't recall seeing it in the box, but will have to check. I can't find many helpful images online showing how it is set up.

Cheers
andycnz

New Zealand

Postby andycnz » 10 Apr 2013 04:47

Jackfish - Thanks for the information.

I am keeping it pretty simple at this stage as I am just getting to grips with this. I would run the turntable through a preamp in to a Bose Sounddock. As I learn about the table and what I like I will look to start playing with the turntable and finding something a bit better to play it through than a Sounddock.

I have been collecting vinyl for a year or so, and started with rarities, limited releases and first pressing of my favourite bands/albums and will look to expand from there.
andycnz

New Zealand

Postby markcass » 10 Apr 2013 10:15

andycnz wrote:Thanks Mark!

I will start looking out for pre-amps. There are a few on Amazon, and some local dealers here. Any idea's on some other good online retailers for that sort of thing?

Is the anti-skate weight and thread something that is likely to have come standard with the turntable? I don't recall seeing it in the box, but will have to check. I can't find many helpful images online showing how it is set up.

Cheers

Hi

Yes, the anti-skate weight and thread should certainly have come with the turntable. There's a small rod sticking out above the counterweight stub, over which the loop at one end of the thread is hooked - it fits into one of three grooves depending on how much anti-skate force you want to use (I usually start at the low end, which would be the groove nearest the arm pivots). The weight end of the thread slips through the loop at the end of the black wire I mentioned before and hangs down vertically.

I'm not sure what the best online resources are in your part of the world. You could approach Pro-Ject's distributor for advice:

International Dynamics Pty Ltd. E-Mail: mail@internationaldynamics.co.nz
Unit 3B Korari St. Internet: www.internationaldynamics.co.nz
Eden Terrace Tel: 09 3790179
Auckland Fax: 09 3790279

Don't skimp on the preamp, especially as you plan to develop your vinyl listening over time. The preamp can make a surprising difference to the overall enjoyment one gets out of the system.

Mark
markcass
contributor

Great Britain

Postby andycnz » 16 Apr 2013 20:30

Thanks again for the help.

I have tracked down some options for preamps that are around the $200 mark. Which of these would you guys recommend for the set up I am using? (or something else all together?)

NAD PP 3i Digital Phono Preamplifier
http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi ... eamplifier

Pro-Ject Phono Box II
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380607400268?ss ... 1423.l2649

or would something like this do the trick?

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM Phono Stage
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290892545783?ss ... 1423.l2649
andycnz

New Zealand

Postby markcass » 19 Apr 2013 10:03

Hi

I reckon the Phono-Box II would be the best out of that selection, and is slightly more versatile than the Phono-Box MM. On the whole, I'd avoid the NAD stage, which is really designed for ripping LPs to a PC.

HTH

Mark
markcass
contributor

Great Britain

Postby jackfish » 22 Apr 2013 20:14

I don't know why the Musical Fidelity V-LPS II is $250 in OZ but it would be better than the others you listed.

The Bose Sounddock must go eventually. Not HiFi. You will need a 2xRCA male to 3.5mm stereo adapter cable to use your turntable/phonostage with it.
jackfish

Postby andycnz » 23 Apr 2013 04:45

As my research continues I have some more options/questions. I also started another thread as I was confused about Sumiko vs. Box Design, and couldn’t find any straight answers on the net and didn’t want to clog this thread. (viewtopic.php?f=42&t=57540).

What is the difference between the basic Phono Box and the Phono Box MKII? Is one better than the other? I see one is powered by AC and the other DC, and that one is Sumiko and the other Box Design.

I can get a new Pro-Ject Phono Box in Auckland for $199, Phono Box S for $299 or the Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII off ebay for around $190 (shipped).

The guy in the Hifi store recommended the NAD PP2 instead of the Phono Box which is $209. What are your thoughts on the NAD PP2?

I have looked for the Cambridge Audio preamps, but cannot find anything here in NZ that is in the price range.
andycnz

New Zealand

Postby bob r » 30 Apr 2013 13:50

markcass wrote:Hi

I don't own a Pro-ject deck, but I think I can answer most of these questions.

The red tab should be removed, as it's clearly there just to lock the arm in place during transit. You won't be able to move the arm over the record unless you take it off.

The cartridge is an Ortofon OM10, an MM type which shouldn't be too demanding of a phono stage/preamp. The Pro-ject preamps can be very good; I used to own a Phonobox SE, and the later SE II is well-liked. This has now been replaced by the DS+, so you might find an SE II at a good price. Below this there is the Phono Box S, another new model. Even the most basic Phono Box MM should work perfectly well with the Ortofon, which can be upgraded with the Stylus 20 when/if you feel like it.

As to the accessories: top left is a simple stylus pressure balance, to make it easier to set the correct pressure. Next to it, in the plastic bag, there are what looks like a spare belt and (probably) an adapter for 45 rpm singles with large centre holes.

Below these, you have a basic alignment gauge, only needed if you are fitting another cartridge, though you can use it to check the alignment of the one fitted. On top of that, the key-like object is actually a tool to change speed by moving the belt on the metal pulley, which has two levels for the different speeds, 33 and 45. Currently, it's set for 45 rpm according to the previous image. The tool enables you to move the belt without getting grease from your skin on it; this can adversely affect the belt, necessitating frequent cleaning.

UK importer Henley Designs have some useful set-up guides on their site. The video for the Debut SE/3 https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/Debut-Set-Up-c585 is currently up, and this deck is reasonably close in design to the 1.2, so the video should be some help. There's also a PDF of a general Pro-ject turntable manual.

It looks as though the bias (anti-skate) weight and thread are missing from the back of the arm. The thread should hook over the black metal wire nearest the platter (see 3rd photo). If these aren't somewhere in the packaging, you'll need to obtain spares from a Pro-ject dealer.

HTH

Mark

WOW! Thank you very much for all the help you give here i am new here and also new to posting in a forum like this so forgive me if am doing something wrong or posting and replying where i am not suppose to

I just brought a new TT pro- ject carbon on April 11 2013 and had been waiting for it for about 2-3 months for it to come inn. I paid $422.94 i do know i could of brought it on the internet and would of had it long before but i wanted to buy it from the store that is in my city

anyways when i went to pick it up the salesman set it up for me took it out of the box and showed me the how to first thing he did was to remove the shipping screws that hold the motor mount in place (shipping only)

under the 2 screws are two rubber feet like things witch are under the motor mount he left them in at that time i did know weather or not they were to be removed so when i got home i was started playing my collection of LP's and heard a loud Hum coming from the sound so after a few days of hearing this loud Hum i call the store and told them

i could not only hear the hum but also the tone arm was vibrating i could feel it with just the touch of my finger and had ask him if the table they had on displays if he could also feel it also he said Yes so i got in my car and went over their and thats when he took the display TT into the back room and came back out and told me that he was sorry but that he not remove them and he did'nt even know about them i needed to remove the rubber things

Well am sorry this post got so long i have been looking for a another post from someone here i think that has the same story and would like to find it so that i can tell him all about this
bob r

United States of America

Postby andycnz » 05 May 2013 12:15

Ok, so I am making progress. I bought the anti-skate weight and thread, and put it in place, I also had a go at setting up the counterweight to balance the arm and then adjust the downforce. A couple more questions...

Once the arm is balanced and I have set the downforce dial to zero, what downforce should I dial up for my cartridge? I have the Ortofon OM10.

Also, what does the level below (see arrow) do, I have moved it up and down and I can't figure out what it does.

In related news I am hoping to pick up the phono box this week! Getting there...

Thanks!

Andrew
andycnz

New Zealand

Postby markcass » 05 May 2013 20:46

Hi Andrew

I'd go for about 1.6 grams on the scale for an OM10. Ortofon recommend 1.5; the maximum is 1.75, and, if tracking seems a bit uncertain, you can try increasing the setting up towards the maximum. It's usually better to err on the heavier side in any case, as mistracking is so damaging to LPs, while the increase in stylus pressure is far too small to cause any noticeable extra wear.

The item your arrow points to is the lift-lower device. When you place the arm over a record you should have the lever in the 'up' position, as in the first image, then rotate the lever forward (second image) to lower the stylus gently onto the record. Some people prefer to leave it down and do all the cueing by hand.

Actually, I've just noticed that the part that supports the arm in the up position seems to be missing (see the 3rd image in your original post). There should be a curved bar just in front of the arm pivot, in the form of an arc covering the angle through which the arm will move from beginning to end of a record. The absence of this part would explain why the lever doesn't appear to do anything. If you can cope with hand-cueing, you may be able to live without it.

HTH

Mark
markcass
contributor

Great Britain

Postby andycnz » 06 May 2013 02:45

Thanks Mark, I have tried to find a close up photo of the missing part, so I know what to look for/replace but haven't had any luck. I don't suppose you know where I could find one. The instruction manual wasn't much help.
andycnz

New Zealand

Postby markcass » 06 May 2013 11:38

andycnz wrote:Thanks Mark, I have tried to find a close up photo of the missing part, so I know what to look for/replace but haven't had any luck. I don't suppose you know where I could find one. The instruction manual wasn't much help.

Hi

This image from the Library may give a reasonable idea. You can see it's held on by a tiny screw, and has a thin rubber buffer running along the top surface. Ignore the larger arc in front - that's the Oracle damping trough for some high end Pro-ject arms, which was what the poster was actually showing.

This second image shows the other end of it: 20403

I'm doubtful that this is available as a spare, so the best bet would probably be to try and fabricate something. It looks as though the hole for a small screw is already present on your deck, it's just the curved item on top that's missing. There appears to be some blue plastic film covering the hole.

HTH

Mark
markcass
contributor

Great Britain

Next

Return to Music Hall / Pro-Ject