the home of the turntable

Did you buy any Vinyl today?

name that tune

Postby BlakeW » 01 Jan 2007 01:44

@ sparrow:

the RHCP and Nickelback cuts were done by some stingy vinyl group called "simply vinyl"...

EDIT: correction, only the Nickelback one was cut by "simply vinyl", the other one was done by EMI so at least its half decent.

i haven't listened to the RHCP one yet, but the nickelback one is particularly uninteresting, theres hardly any difference between it and the cd version... no outstanding high frequencies... i sure hope the RHCP one isnt bad as well, they both cost $AU40... :(
BlakeW

Did you buy any vinyl today?

Postby Blue Angel » 03 Jan 2007 23:13

Hi Everyone :D

Yup, I did. A quick sortie to get snacks for the dawgs somehow ended up at my favourite charity store :lol: :lol: hehe.

I bought a Virgil Fox/Crystal Clear Records/Direct to Disc/Rec Aug 27-31 1977/J S Bach Toccata/Toccata Symphonie Concertante/J Jongen. Matering Stan Ricker (Ha!) Console Circuit Designer John Curl (Ha!), Rec. at the Garden Grove Community Church, Garden Grove CA. Organ Fratelli-Rufatti (116 ranks, 108 stops and 6'791 pipes (awesome sound).
A Nonesuch, Masters of the High Baroque - works by Marcello, Pergolesi, Leclair etc and the third: Rudolf Schock 'Erinnerungen an Richard Tauber, Berliner Symphoniker cond. Eisbrenner/Robert Stolz.

blue
"If you don't like my principles, I have others" - Groucho Marx
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Postby 20Hz » 06 Jan 2007 17:06

Went to pick up some cleaning fluid yesterday and ended up with

Spoon - Gimme Fiction (so good) New
Art Pepper- intensity used

Both sound great (unfortuntely the Pepper has a scratch in one of the songs- but the rest of the disc is good enough to make it worth keeping) and are going to be in heavy rotation methinks.
20Hz

Postby boromike » 07 Jan 2007 07:03

Hi 20Hz,
I am a huge fan of Art Pepper and bought a copy of Intensity -new- many years ago at a Toronto store.Much to my dismay when I returned home I discovered that the record (a Canadian pressing) consisted of two side 1s back to back.
After returning to the store and picking up another record as no other copies of Intensity were available, it occurred to me later that I should have kept my copy as it may have become a collector's item.
Has any other member ever bought a record in that condition, I wonder?
Mike.
boromike

Postby bauzace50 » 17 Jan 2007 22:51

Reissue: A Journey Into Stereo Sound! Decca/London. 180 gram vinyl. A journey back to 1958 in a sterling introduction to stereo by the good people at Decca! Truly demonstrative of all the endearing aspects of vinyl. The "host" takes us "by the hand" from one thrilling demonstration to the next, in a very well prepared program. Among the best-sounding LPs ever, also. Purchased from http://www.amusicdirect.com First click on Vinyl, then, on the 180-Gram section. This one replaces the much-worn original in my collection.
bauzace50
As I watched the stars in the sky I wondered where the ceiling had gone.
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Postby Blue Angel » 18 Jan 2007 00:19

Hi b50

Is that the one with Granada? I'ts somewhere around.

Have you got the other Decca "How to Give yourself a Stereo Checkout"?

Cheers

blue
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Postby bauzace50 » 18 Jan 2007 01:52

Hello Blue Angel,
No, the "Journey Into Stereo Sound" has SIDE 1: Cambrian Express Train, España, Girl Dancers, Edmundo Ros, Ernest Ansermet rehearsing Rite of Spring, Die Walkure springs into frightening reality, Racing cars at Goodwood, True Love by Mantovani (what massed strings!...cartridge eater), Ceremony of the Keys.
SIDE 2: Capriccio Espagnol, O Divine Redeemer-Flagstad (how her voice soars!), Only One of You, Another Time, Ted Heath Big Band, Backhaus and Vienna Philharmonic, Portrait Painter of Paree, closing moments of Symphonie Fantastique (Argenta/Paris Conservatoire)
Brilliant! Arresting! Extravagant! Sound sculptured in space...how true (in my medium/small room the illusion is aided by nearfield speaker setup).
To be sure, this is the best I've heard this LP (now in its reissued reincarnation) since I purchased it 49 years ago (1958)! First time I've heard the sound suspended (sculptured?) in space, away from the speakers, behind them, in a striking illusion!
b50
PS- by the way, the only band that shows wear on my original LP is the very last part of Symphonie Fantastique!
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Postby Blue Angel » 18 Jan 2007 10:31

Hi b50

I've got this one too. If I want to make fun with the dogs, I play this one.

An observation. All of these original records I have, I did not buy new but acquired them at all kinds of places over the years. They are all still in excellent condition and proves to me that the kind of person or recordcollector really cared for his vinyl by being careful in setup and playing. The worst kind of record guaranteed to be 'shot'? Rock music or compilations of popular stuff. Those I don't buy anyway.

blue
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Postby 20Hz » 30 Jan 2007 21:46

Just got cowboy junkies trinity sessions, a very cool 60s mercury recording "the first family of spanish guitar" and a minty fresh copy of Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner (for $12.99- I've only seen this at one other local store and it was a beat to hell copy for $15) Wohooo!
20Hz

Postby mosin » 31 Jan 2007 05:52

An LP showed up today. Does that count?

It is a 180 gram German pressing of Rickie Lee Jones' self-titled album. I don't typically listen to her work, or that sort of music, but this one is very good.
mosin
contributor

United States of America

Source of excellent LPs

Postby bauzace50 » 03 Feb 2007 07:30

Hi,
Here's how to get some fabulous LP reissues...directly from the manufacturer: http://www.classicrecs.com Highly Recommended! What dreams are made of.
bauzace50
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Postby JollyJeweller » 03 Feb 2007 16:15

This week...AC/DC "Back in Black", Rush "Presto", Camel "Moonmadness" and Kate Bush "The Sensual World", all used on eBay.
New: Espers II and Ben Kweller , both 2006 releases.
JollyJeweller
long player
long player

buy

Postby Rick C » 05 Feb 2007 00:53

Well, I lost my mind and just got the entire fantasy 45 series from acoustic sounds. Ill be paying this off for awhile but didnt want to be kicking myself in the ass when they went up to $150. a copy on the used market. I felt a lot better when I saw M Gayes whats goin on go for $1100 on ebay this week which I have 2 copys of ( one opened one sealed). Havent shared this with "she" yet
Rick C

Postby stabist » 05 Feb 2007 07:36

OK, few days back purchase - Kraftwerk: Minimum Maximum 4LP box set and Kraftwerk: Autobahn.
stabist

Postby sparrow » 05 Feb 2007 16:58

stabist wrote:OK, few days back purchase - Kraftwerk: Minimum Maximum 4LP box set and Kraftwerk: Autobahn.

Ahh the Kraftwerk set is so well packaged unfortunately I only have the CD.

Do you like Tangerine Dream :?:
sparrow
long player
long player

Great Britain

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Records