Show your stylus force gauge

the thin end of the wedge
Pier

Re: Show your stylus force gauge

Post by Pier » 09 Sep 2012 21:05

Earlier in this thread it was noted that with some scales the magnet of a MC cartridge is pulled down by the scale. The down force of my Denon DL 160 was measured some 0.5 grams more than the real value due to this effect. So this is a real issue to watch out for. You can check this easily by weighting a small magnet. As an example the MyWeigh Lighterscale L2, a pretty sturdy and nice small one that unfortunately doesn't work.

First measure the magnet alone:

Next remove the magnet and put a non-magnetic spacer (here a thick piece of Styrofoam) on the scale and zero the sale with the Tare button:

Again, measure the magnet with the spacer:

If you see any difference which is more than a few 1/100 of a gram you have a problem with the correct down force due to magnetic forces on the scale.

Inside the plastic housing of the scale is a steel baseplate (not only the screws are ferromagnetic) for stability to which the load cell is mounted. No way to change this for some aluminium plate and non-magnetic screws unless you are a skilled instrument maker with lots of patience :D I noted that many of the credit card and lighter size scales use this extra steel plate inside, even my large Jennings HP-100X does.

So check before buying...

Here a picture of the "famous" Canrong arm load meter. This one doesn't suffer from magnetic problems and measures the magnet weight correctly:

Mine is almost falling apart after 2 years of use, in contrary of its price (it is sold for $60 -$150) it is of cheap Chinese construction and unstable. Also the batteries run out within a week if left in the meter (at least with mine) and are of a uncommon size which means new ones are pricey. But OK no magnetic influence of the cartridge found.

Last week I ordered one from DealExtreme: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-preci ... tion-29836 It is very much lookalike the Canrong but at a way lower price. It did not arrive yet, but let you know.

mbarkofske

Post by mbarkofske » 10 May 2013 05:24

Got my scale like Beatcomber showed from Deal Extreme. Never would go to zero. After 20 on off tries I'm sitting here watching a screen of numbers jumping around. Put a penny on it and it reads Full-over 100 Grams! Won't calibrate either. Lesson learned. I'll go to Harbor Freight and try one. At least if it doesn't work I can take it back locally. Not worth sending this back to Hong Kong.

Pier

Post by Pier » 10 Jun 2013 09:08

All those scales require a stable and flat base to rest on. This can be a problem with most platter mats. Otherwise the zero reading is unstable or even the scale refuses to initialise. Remove the mat or use something sturdy like a metal (alu :D ) plate.

If this does not help, your scale is definitely broken during transport. Contact DX and they will send you a new one. Mine works fine.

yellowbuses

Post by yellowbuses » 10 Jun 2013 16:53

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0913881598

Accurate (Had it checked by a jeweller and now have a 5pence piece of correct weight for future calibration if necessary).

Used it a number of times already with my MM's to good effect but they are magnetic so care has to be taken with MC's. They, like most others, feature a tare function so this is not a problem.

Cheap, tiny and functional. Perfect.

regards