the home of the turntable

Burne Jones vintage tangential tonearm

snap, crackle and pop

Re: Burne Jones vintage tangential tonearm

Postby dtut » 10 Aug 2012 20:37

vinylrayk,

Thank you very much for doing those excellent drawings - they clarify graphically what I was trying to convey. One picture/thousand words and all that. I tried doing a free hand drawing based on some dubious assumptions, but I could tell real quick it wasn't going to work. Nice catch on that slight dogleg in the longer arm. I didn't see that.

The geometry and tracking of that arm are impressive. I'd love to have one to check out thoroughly. There's a similar American arm called a Van Epps. I've seen one, but never had the chance to use it. There are pictures of it in that "angling for 90 degrees" thread. It's very lightly built, especially in comparison to the B-J.

Troglodyto,

The weight of that arm, which I envy you for having, is going to be important when it comes to choosing cartridges. For the last two weeks, I've been using a Shure SC35C conical "DJ" cartridge and I strongly recommend it. The VTF with the stock stylus is 4-5 gr., but if that makes you uncomfortable, the N35X stylus works in the SC35C body and tracks at 1.5-3 gr. I've used the SC35C in a heavy vintage Rek-O-Kut S-120 - with the stock stylus - and in a very light DIY linear tracking arm using the N35X stylus. Your arm fits somewhere in between those two arms and I'd be very surprised if that cartridge didn't work well on your arm.

Doug Tuthill
dtut

Postby vinylrayk » 10 Aug 2012 23:25

dtut wrote:vinylrayk,

The geometry and tracking of that arm are impressive. I'd love to have one to check out thoroughly. There's a similar American arm called a Van Epps. I've seen one, but never had the chance to use it. There are pictures of it in that "angling for 90 degrees" thread. It's very lightly built, especially in comparison to the B-J.

Doug Tuthill

I saw a Van Eps years ago on eBay. Here is the patent drawing for the Van Eps:

Although Van Eps describes a different approach in attacking the geometry, it looks to me like I could take the B-J arm and stretch/rearrange the links and pivots to make it look like a Van Eps. The Canadian patent for the B-J was issued in September 1959, and the U.S. patent for the Van Eps was issued in February 1966. Guess whom I would award the prize for originality. I think the B-J is much more elegant aesthetically, and I think that if we were to build both today using the same modern materials and methods, the B-J would come close or even be the winner in terms of less mass at the business end.

I still have it on my plate as an exercise to figure out what the B-J geometry can really do in terms of tracking error.
vinylrayk
contributor

United States of America

Postby troglodyto » 25 Nov 2012 14:58

dtut wrote:vinylrayk,

Troglodyto,

The weight of that arm, which I envy you for having, is going to be important when it comes to choosing cartridges. For the last two weeks, I've been using a Shure SC35C conical "DJ" cartridge and I strongly recommend it. The VTF with the stock stylus is 4-5 gr., but if that makes you uncomfortable, the N35X stylus works in the SC35C body and tracks at 1.5-3 gr. I've used the SC35C in a heavy vintage Rek-O-Kut S-120 - with the stock stylus - and in a very light DIY linear tracking arm using the N35X stylus. Your arm fits somewhere in between those two arms and I'd be very surprised if that cartridge didn't work well on your arm.

Doug Tuthill

Hy everybody!
Thank you very much to Doug & all the other contributors of this post for all the usefull answers, drawings & others informations!
I just bought an old house and had a lot of big work (quite far from delicate tonearm adjustments...) to do during the last months. The big part of the work is now done & I'll have more time to go back to my turntables.

So I'll statr with the BJ tonearm setup, and give you a feedback + take some pictures as soon it will be ready...

Thank's one more time to all of you !!!

Damien
troglodyto
contributor

Previous

Return to Turntables and Tonearms