Moral of this story is, “you gotta know when to hold’em and when to fold’em”.
I picked up a KD 550 (stock Kenwood arm) few weeks back and it needed some work. Mostly a thorough cleaning and a deoxit spray on the pots. So far I am very impressed with the build quality and the materials used on this deck. It is massive and heavy and there are nice features to be found in the build and construction.
I cleaned it up last night and got the motor performing as it should. I decided that tonight I would put a Denon DL 110 on it and set it up. I do not have any kind of overhang gauge for this deck, the manufacturer recommends 15 mm overhang. I made some arc protractors and Stevenson came out with a 14.9 mm overhang, the Baerwald was 16.7. I aligned it to Stevenson and it appears that I dialed it in pretty good. First time using one of these arc protractors and it was fun. I looked at the Baerwald and I could see it was going to drive the cartridge to the end of the mounting slots and probably not work for my arm. I moved on, finished the set up and connected it to my stereo.
When I turned on the stereo I heard a low hum. I very quickly found that I broke the green wire going to the cartridge.
I actually took out my soldering equipment that has not been used since the mid 80's. I tried to solder the green wire back on but age has caught up with me. My eyes just cannot see it and my hands just cannot do it. I am 53 but heck it has been too long and the skill is gone for something this small and critical. Right hand on the iron, left hand on the wire, brace the head shell against a box, hold solder in mouth (no) -- put solder on iron tip --- heat lead --- flow to wire --- almost did it about five times. I can take it to a shop and probably get it repaired while I wait.
Tomorrow is another day and maybe I will have this deck running by then. Can't wait to hear it.