Also I had another question where can I look on my cartridge to determine the model?
I think dlaloum
addressed the model number question. I have an ADC cartridge that looks just like the one you have and there is no model number on it.
And how do you know what to adjust the cantilever to?
" is the teeny-tiny aluminum tube that holds the diamond tip. The thing you want to adjust is the "tonearm
", the tube that holds the headshell and cartridge on one end and the "counterweight
" on the other.
Adjusting the counterweight
will affect the stylus force onto the record. I would suggest removing the stylus from the cartridge until you are familiar with how everything works, this way if you bump the tonearm and it goes flying across the turntable, you won't damage the stylus.
1) install the headshell onto the tonearm
2) set the antiskate
to zero (small black disk to the right of the tonearm)
3) remove the tonearm from the resting post and let it hang freely between the resting post and the platter
4) adjust the counterweight so that the tonearm "floats" parallel to the turntable base, disregard the numbers on the counterweight for now
* the counterweight has 2 parts to it, one is the actual weight
, the other is the scale
. The scale has the numbers on it, usually 0 to 3 or
3.5, this refers to the tracking force in grams.
5) hold the weight
of the counterbalance in one hand and adjust the scale
with your other hand
* the tonearm with the headshell and cartridge (no needle) should now hover horizontally over the turntable with the counterweight set to zero
* once you are comfortable adjusting the tonearm, you can install the stylus
onto the cartridge and repeat the steps above to compensate for the additional weight of the stylus.
6) with everything installed and floating parallel to the turntable and the counterweight set to zero, you can now adjust the counterweight to the correct tracking force
* when adjusting the tracking force make sure the entire counterweight assembly is turning, i.e. the counterweight and
7) adjust the antiskate
. The antiskate and tracking force are directly related, you should refer to the owners manual for the correct setting.
Hope this helps!