Many thanks for the replies guys, feeling a little more confident with what I'm looking for now, though I will also see if anyone else posts with an opinion too!
@duficity: That is pushing my budget quite a bit, it looks like the cartridge for both the red and the blue is the same, is it just the coloured stylus assembly that is different? Perhaps I could upgrade at a later date?
Failing that, are there any other carts that would do a good job while keeping closer to £100($160)? Is the Denon DL110 worth considering? What about a Shure M97xE or a Grado Red? Again, trying to avoid record wear.
@thommo_work: Thankyou for your detailed reply
1) An Audio Technica At120E huh? looks like a good price and nothing immediately jumps out as undesirable, might have a look at some reviews!
2) So if I have a cart rated for 2g that is tracking at 2g, that doesn't mean it will wear a record faster than a cart rated for 1.5g that is tracking at 1.5g?
3) I see, looks like I'll have to spend many hours on alignment once I get all my gear!
4) Haha OK i think I'll try it with the blank disc first, the cost of various accessories is really mounting up!
5) Again, I'll be careful with alignment
6) Aye I'm thinking I'll probably go with the Cambridge, I've used Cambridge gear before and it's pretty tidy so that looks like the one for me
Cheers for the help guys, gonna gather a few more opinions before I make any concrete decisions but your input has been really helpful!