the home of the turntable

systemdek IIx / profile tonearm help

roman around

systemdek IIx / profile tonearm help

Postby johnyk » 08 Feb 2012 20:28

i need another headshell or two for this. is there other headshells that i can use with this tonearm? i am having a hard time finding one. regards john.
johnyk

Re: systemdek IIx / profile tonearm help

Postby Alec124c41 » 10 Feb 2012 06:51

Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby markcass » 10 Feb 2012 14:08

Hi

If you look in the Library under 'Systemdek', there are a couple of suggested options in the comments added to the Profile and Profile II pages. I'm not sure which one you have from the description, but the headshell fittings were quite different IIRC.

HTH

Mark
markcass
contributor

Great Britain

Postby johnyk » 10 Feb 2012 18:25

thanks alek,but thats not it.my headshell pushes into the tonearm then a collar on the tonearm screws onto the headshell.pulling it in as it tightens.
johnyk

Postby markcass » 10 Feb 2012 20:20

johnyk wrote:thanks alek,but thats not it.my headshell pushes into the tonearm then a collar on the tonearm screws onto the headshell.pulling it in as it tightens.

IIRC that arm was an unusual hybrid that used the standard fixing method (as above) normally found on S-shaped designs like the Technics 1200 arm, but with a straight arm-tube and angled headshell. Something like the arm in this image http://www.head-fi.org/t/461381/fs-systemdek-iix-turntable-and-target-tt1-stand-both-rare

This means, of course, that the widely available headshells with this fitting won't work. The required format might be available to special order from Japan as suggested in the posting on the relevant Library page.

HTH

Mark
markcass
contributor

Great Britain

Postby Alec124c41 » 11 Feb 2012 07:55

There was a Profile arm with the S-shape, which uses the standard SME-mount headshells. I have one. :)
Technics, Jelco (made the arm), etc. are good. Use lighter headshells like the Technics for higher-compliance cartridges, the heavier Sumiko/Jelcos for lower-compliance cartridges.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby johnyk » 11 Feb 2012 20:48

thanks markcass, thats it.thats my headshell.now the hard part.trying to find one.
johnyk

Postby dobbhill » 27 Feb 2012 18:16

I found a headshell built for a straight arm and retrofitted a S-type collet/connector into it and built my own hybrid...Good luck!!
dobbhill
contributor

Postby papajwert » 01 Jun 2012 05:22

Ok, a question from a "newbie". I'm not even sure who I'm talking to but here goes... I have a Technics SL-1300 that was given to me by a friend. It all works well,however, there is nothing at the end of the tone bar except for a collar lock of some sort. I am right at 50 years old and have a lot of old vinyl that is in great shape and I would love to hear an actual "album" playing again!From what I've seen/read the next piece is called a "headshell" and that holds the needle cartridge,I think. Is that correct,and if it is where/how would I go about finding one? The tone arm is an"S-shape" desing if I am not mistaken.
\ Thank you one and all for your help and considerations in my situation.
Appreciatively,
papajwert
papajwert

United States of America

Postby markcass » 01 Jun 2012 13:48

Hi

Yes the headshell is the missing part, and there are plenty of standard models to fit into this arm. The simplest thing would be to buy the standard Technics headshell, which is readily available (http://www.needledoctor.com/Technics-Headshell, for example). You might find it cheaper elsewhere - on Amazon, for a start.

You would also need a cartridge, which bolts into the headshell and carries the stylus/needle that actually tracks the groove. There are a few packages of headshell and stylus, including special integrated one-piece models that just plug into the end of the arm, but most of these are for DJ/scratching service, not hi fi.

So, instead, how about fitting an Audio Technica AT95E (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-At95e-Mm-Cartridge/dp/B001MRXY94)? This would bolt easily into the headshell, then you just need to connect the wires to the back of the cartridge, and position it in the headshell (see alignment guides on this site). The arm is calibrated, so you just need to balance it, set the tracking force and anti-skate, and you'll soon be listening to your LPs again 8)

HTH

Mark
markcass
contributor

Great Britain

Return to Systemdek