the home of the turntable

Why won't my system work? Help!

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

Why won't my system work? Help!

Postby TheWilliam » 19 Feb 2012 19:09

I am new to vinyl, but not new to electronics. I just recently purchased a Phillips 212 Turntable and a Pioneer SX-424 stereo receiver, and two standard bookshelf speakers. When I first set everything up, it worked fine, although there was a fair amount of noise in the pots and knobs. However, I noticed that while in Stereo it was only sending to the left speaker, on both speaker A and B. I took it apart and cleaned everything up all nice. All the connections looked fine, so I figured it was just a bit of dust in the switches. When I put it back together and set it all back up, it was still not sending anything to the right speaker, and then stopped sending any audio at all. It wasn't working properly on AM FM or AUX as well as Phono. I then hooked up a friends Onkyo TX-1500 receiver, and the same problem persisted. I figured the issue was with the speakers then, but I hooked up a friends working speakers and still no audio being sent. I am completely stumped. Any ideas of what could be the problem?
TheWilliam

United States of America

Re: Why won't my system work? Help!

Postby crofk » 19 Feb 2012 21:09

Well, if you switched amps and speakers that leaves the wire. Are you sure its good? I know it sounds stupid but just asking.

kc
"Extinct and lovin' it"
crofk
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby TheWilliam » 19 Feb 2012 21:12

Ah, no, good question, but I did try multiple wires as well as making brand spanking new ones. So probably not that.
TheWilliam

United States of America

Postby crofk » 19 Feb 2012 21:24

Well, it has to be something the two systems have in common. If you changed speakers, wires, & receiver then it has to be before that. Unless I'm missing something here that only leaves the turntable and cable(s) going to it. I guess I am missing how the am, fm, aux won't work with a different system in place.

kc
"Extinct and lovin' it"
crofk
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby TheWilliam » 19 Feb 2012 22:24

I guess I will have to test the turntable on an entirely different system, to see if maybe that the two receivers just by chance have a similar problem. The curious part is that neither receiver even seems to show any AM/FM signal at all. I am completely stumped. I feel like an idiot.
TheWilliam

United States of America

Postby crofk » 19 Feb 2012 22:33

If neither receiver is receiving signal, then it would be in your antenna system whatever that may consist of. Two different problems here.

kc
"Extinct and lovin' it"
crofk
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby cats squirrel » 19 Feb 2012 23:54

start with someones working system, and replace one thing at a time. If it all works somewhere else, but not in your place, it may be your supply (mains leads) or mains switch. Does your receiver light up on powering up?
kind regards, Cats
there are many churches, few are full.....
cats squirrel
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby TheWilliam » 20 Feb 2012 05:23

Yeah, the receivers definitely fire up just fine. Lights on and everything. Tomorrow I will try the individual components on another system and see if I can figure anything new out.
TheWilliam

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 20 Feb 2012 08:03

An old receiver will need to have all the controls and contacts cleaned with a good contact cleaner. The surfaces get a layer of oxide that reduces or cuts conductivity.
Caig Deoxit or Nutrol, or Richardsons Control cleaner are ones I have used. You need to use the thin tbe to get the stuff inside the controls, where the working surfaces are, and then work the knobs/switches back and forth a few times.
Attach a couple of pieces of wire, say 2 1/2 feet long, to the antenna terminals on the back, marked 300 Ohms. With nothing there, you get no radio.
Use a pair of headphones or earphones to see if there is any sound in the receiver. You may need a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch stereo adapter.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby duficity » 20 Feb 2012 19:06

If you only get sound out of one speaker, even when you change input sides, left for right, then it isnt something upstream from your receiver. It is either in your receiver or after it. if you switch speakers, left for right, do you then get sound out of the replaced speaker, but still not the other. then the problem is not the speaker. If you switch speaker wires left for right, and still only get sound out of the same side, then it is not the wires and all that is left is the receiver itself. its just a matter of going through each piece and excluding what works from what doesnt.

I just went through trying to set up a turntable, and went through 3 different phono cables, 2 were bad on one channel, and the other bad on both. I would have gone crazy trying other things, cartridge leads, preamp input, speaker connections etc. if I didnt have a 4th cable to try. So, check the obvious first.
duficity
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby josephazannieri » 20 Feb 2012 19:56

Yo The William:

There is a quick'ndirty diagnostic check to see if your receiver has basic operating functions. First get a fine screwdriver, 1/8 inch or finer. Hook up your speakers to the receiver, and be sure that speaker switch is set for correct speakers. (or you can use headphones) Now turn on receiver, set for phono input and advance the volume a small amount. Stick the screwdriver into the phono input jack hole that takes the RCA center pin on left channel and touch the metal screwdriver shaft with your finger. You should get a HUGE hum out of left speaker. Now do the same with right channel. You now should get a HUGE hum out of right channnel. If you get the hum, your amp is basically functional. Now go through all other inputs, such as tuner, tape, and aux and see if you get hum. You will need to turn the volume up much higher to get hum from the line inputs than you will for phono inputs. If you are getting hum, receiver works, and your problem is in the deck. This is quick'n'dirty diagnosis. Just put screwdriver far enough into jack to make contact with jack. Don't stick it WAY in, because you might make contact with an energized circuit element. Also, do not touch any metal part of chassis while you are touching screwdriver shaft, or you will reduce finger signal injection considerably. If there is no hum, there is a problem with receiver.

And good luck from that quick'n'dirty old scredriver mechanic,

Joe Z.
josephazannieri
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby buzzard3 » 21 Feb 2012 04:15

Any reason not to suspect the turntable ? could be a short? Try switching the r/l RCA coming out of the turntable and see if your output sound does a 360.
buzzard3

United States of America

Postby TheWilliam » 21 Feb 2012 04:34

Well, I did the screwdriver test and no hum at all. I took the table to an entirely different system and it worked just fine. I guess it must be the receivers, I just don't understand the chances of two different receivers have the same exact problem and not working. Especially since I took one entirely apart and cleaned all the knobs and pots and all the connections looked pretty good. I even re-did a few that looked iffy. Any other thoughts?
TheWilliam

United States of America

Postby josephazannieri » 22 Feb 2012 06:34

Yo TheWilliam:

You may have had receivers that had coincidental failures. I have had old stuff that up and died on me and when I replaced it with other old stuff, the new old stuff died too. The long arm of coincidence explains much...

Take a look at the solder joints that you redid and be sure that you didn't cause harm when you resoldered. There have been times when my repairs have made things worse.

It's a giant pain, and I sympathize with you, but I would look for another receiver, and I would try it before I bought it.

And good luck from the old experimenter and screwdriver mechanic,

Joe Z.
josephazannieri
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby fscl » 23 Feb 2012 01:39

TheWilliam wrote:
I just recently purchased a Phillips 212 Turntable and a Pioneer SX-424 stereo receiver......

snippage.......

I then hooked up a friends Onkyo TX-1500 receiver, and the same problem persisted. I figured the issue was with the speakers then, but I hooked up a friends working speakers and still no audio being sent. I am completely stumped. Any ideas of what could be the problem?

VE has a sister site which has come in extremely handy..... Hi Fi Engine.... or HFE at the top of each page...... :) :) :)

So join HFE too and you are in luck as the Pioneer SX-424 service manual is in the HFE library here:

http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/pioneer/sx-424.shtml

Have you checked the fuses on the back of the SX? Page 7 of 37 shows a pair of 1.2A power amp protection fuses...... :)

Hopefully the right fuse has blown and a simple replacement will restore the Pioneer back to stereo...... [-o< [-o<

Good luck.

Fred and though the Onkyo TX-1500 is not in HFE, the TX-2500 is and it too seems to have speaker fuses in the back....... [-o< Again hopefully the right channel fuse has blown..... Do you by any chance like to play your music loud...... :shock: :wink:
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....WFUV Fan.
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers