the home of the turntable

Any science fiction fans? what is yor fav book?

anything and nothing

Re: Any science fiction fans? what is yor fav book?

Postby Spyes » 08 Feb 2012 14:43

rubbeet wrote:How about Game of Thrones? It's more of an epic fantasy- Braveheart and Lord of the Rings combined.

I bought the books (boxset of 4) but I haven't seen much of the tv episodes yet (I'll buy a dvd)... I'm reading the 4th book now! Loving it, but there are times that I have to reread a paragraph or 2 coz my attention span wavers when it gets a little boring. :mrgreen:

... and yes, books are meant to be made of paper! I prefer it that way too.

Game of Thrones is nice, though definitely not sci-fi!
It gets pretty heavy though... I like "hard fantasy" stuff, but Game of Thrones can get a little overwhelming sometimes, what with the.. what, 60 different stories going on at once? :P

But man, I love sci-fi! Favorite book? That's a tough one... One that instantly jumps to my mind is the Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny, though I guess that's also more fantasy than sci-fi... though it has elements of both (and more!). "Epic" doesnt' even begin to describe it, hiiiiiggghhhlllyy recommended to anyone who is into a good, long, out-there adventure!
Spyes

Postby jake » 08 Feb 2012 20:45

I have all the Philip K Dick novels, recommend CLANS OF THE ALPHANE MOON as hilarious.
jake
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Spyes » 09 Feb 2012 07:12

jake wrote:I have all the Philip K Dick novels, recommend CLANS OF THE ALPHANE MOON as hilarious.

I've got a few, he's great! A Scanner Darkly is so great..! And the movie is also good, which was surprising!
Spyes

Postby MadMax » 09 Feb 2012 17:51

bauzace50 wrote:Hi,

Books? Well, this one is not science fiction, but is a projection about the future based on present-day social/political realities: "1984" by George Orwell. It is a heavy emotional impact, that I read this novel years BEFORE 1984, and regarded that future year as a distant scene! Now, it is 27 years later, and some of those things are real, and some are new and worse. Amazing what damage humans do to each other :shock: .
Regards,
bauzace50

1984- fantastic! I recommend "Stasiland" by Anna Funder, an Australian journalist who spends some time in what was East Berlin interviewing people about their experiences of the Stasi and the Wall. Quite amazing, in an awful way. Like 1984 but a true story :(
MadMax

Postby MadMax » 09 Feb 2012 18:00

And getting back on topic- HG Wells is my number one! Love his short stories.

Read "Solaris" after watching the film (Tarkovsky not Soderbergh thank you very much), totally amazing.
MadMax

Postby lini » 11 Feb 2012 07:35

Spyes: If you like the SciFi/Fantasy mix genre, you might also enjoy Philip José Farmer's "World of Tiers" and "Riverworld" books.

Well, and regarding the original question: Oh, there are so many really good ones. Asmimov and Heinlein are classic "must-knows", for sure. I also like pretty much any of Larry Niven's works. Some Cyberpunk can't harm either - for example Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" is a very good book, imo.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
long player
long player

Germany

Postby JaS » 11 Feb 2012 10:40

lini wrote:Spyes: If you like the SciFi/Fantasy mix genre, you might also enjoy Philip José Farmer's "World of Tiers" and "Riverworld" books.

Philip José Farmer's 'The Fabulous Riverboat' had quite an effect on me as a kid. One day I'll find out what happened in the rest of the series...

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Postby awkwardbydesign » 14 Feb 2012 21:19

The Underpeople, by Cordwainer Smith. I've been reading SF since the '50s, and have never found anyone who speaks to me like he does.
awkwardbydesign

Postby Spyes » 15 Feb 2012 07:34

lini, Jas: I'll try to find some copies of his books, I'm sure I can find em at second-hand stores for fair prices.

I've started re-reading A Scanner Darkly and I'm remembering why I liked it so much the first time! So well written and thought-out... Philip K. Dick is definitely a sci-fi buff
Spyes

Postby Scribemole » 15 Feb 2012 18:22

My favourite is probably "Way Station" by Clifford D Simak.I was a huge fan of everything by Ray Bradbury too, when I read SF almost exclusively many years ago.
Scribemole

Postby prt1969 » 16 Feb 2012 23:36

Any Robert Silverberg fans? I was big into the Majipoor Chronicles and a book called "Face of the Waters" back in the 90's. Really good stuff.
VPI Scout : JMW 9 Signature Tonearm : Ortofon 2M Black : McIntosh C28 : McIntosh MC2105 : Monitor Audio Silver RS6's
prt1969

Postby Steerpike_jhb » 18 Feb 2012 22:43

Not a book on its own, but Arthur C. Clarke's short story "Earthlight".
And second to that, almost all of his other short stories.

Spyes wrote: A Scanner Darkly is so great..! And the movie is also good, which was surprising!

I saw this on TV by accident a few months back - the style (Rotoscoping / animation) was what got me transfixed, worth watching for that, even though the story didn't really excite me.
Steerpike_jhb
long player
long player
contributor

Postby Satch » 20 Feb 2012 13:52

I'm a bit surprised nobody hasn't mentioned Jack Vance yet. His characters aren't the most 'three dimensional', and his stories tend to be somewhat alike, but the way he can make up and describe other worlds, creatures and civilisations is uncanning.
I don't know where I'm goin', but I can't wait to get there.
Satch

Postby TitaniumMan » 11 Mar 2012 15:07

I couldn't begin to pick just one. I treat so many books as old friends to be cherished. I've read a wide variety of goodies from Jules Verne to the present. Asimov, Niven/Pournelle, E. E. "Doc" Smith, Greg Bear just to name a few authors.

I once had a collection of books from the 1930s through the mid 60s that was massive. Even with the help of the internet, I'll never rebuild that library.
TitaniumMan

United States of America

Postby J Macquarrie » 11 Mar 2012 20:06

Went to a carboot sale this morning, found out I'd missed out on a box of reggae 12" singles by a couple of hours :( then found someone with 15 Phillip K Dick books, thought a £1 each would have been a result - he wanted 10p each for them! And then tried to give me a discount for buying them all! I gave him all my change (only about £2) and told him to keep it - best carboot find for some time, one of my favourite authors along with Kurt Vonnegut Jnr, Jeff Noon, William Gibson, Bruce Stirling (up until after Heavy Weather anyway!), M John Harrison, Alfred Bester, Prattchet and Robert Rankin.
As for favourite book that's near enough an impossibility to pick but if pressed I've always found A Scanner Darkly (K Dick) and The Centauri Device (M John Harrison) particularly enjoyable.
J Macquarrie

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising