the home of the turntable

Technics SL 1100

turning japanese

Technics SL 1100

Postby harrypj » 29 Jan 2012 15:27

I don't know how accurate the speed on my Technics SL 1100 turntable should be. Using the supplied light the dot can not be adjusted to stop moving completely. I am not the original owner of this deck; so I don't have a reference. Is this as good as it gets or has age affected the circuits. I work on vintage electronics; not an expert but I have done a lot of repairs. Other than the speed issue I like the table. It is in great condition. I use it off and on. I must confess to liking the ease of use with my Pioneer PL-600.
harrypj

Re: Technics SL 1100

Postby Mad_Chemist » 09 Feb 2012 19:36

harrypj wrote:I don't know how accurate the speed on my Technics SL 1100 turntable should be. Using the supplied light the dot can not be adjusted to stop moving completely. I am not the original owner of this deck; so I don't have a reference. Is this as good as it gets or has age affected the circuits. I work on vintage electronics; not an expert but I have done a lot of repairs. Other than the speed issue I like the table. It is in great condition. I use it off and on. I must confess to liking the ease of use with my Pioneer PL-600.

So I'm not sure what you mean by you can't get the strobe to stay still?

When you adjust with the pitch control do you reach the end of the pot turning either clockwise or counter-clockwise and the strobe still doesn't stand still?

If that is the case, set both the 45 ans 33 pitch controls to their mechanical center. Then underneath the platter there are two additional pots for 33 and 45 that you can use to center the pitch controls. If I remember you can access them with the platter mat off through the holes in the turntable platter.
Mad_Chemist

United States of America

Postby harrypj » 09 Feb 2012 23:33

Hi,
Thanks for the response. Correct, the dot does not completely stop. I have adjusted the inside pots, no change. It almost stops, moves VERY slowly. What I wondered is; maybe it doesn't stop completely. If new it was rock stable then
perhaps aged electronics; bad caps?
harrypj

Postby Mad_Chemist » 10 Feb 2012 01:21

harrypj wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the response. Correct, the dot does not completely stop. I have adjusted the inside pots, no change. It almost stops, moves VERY slowly. What I wondered is; maybe it doesn't stop completely. If new it was rock stable then
perhaps aged electronics; bad caps?

Did you try and spray some Deoxit in the pitch controls themselves? I had a similar problem on an SL-1350 once. The pots were just too dirty to make good contact. Once I sprayed some electronics cleaner into them that problem went away. I would think if it were caps, you would probably have more dramatic symptoms (like unsteady or wavering speed). I'm certainly no expert though...

I can't remember if the SL-1100 has cosmetic cover knobs on the actual pitch pots. If so you may have to pull them off to get the cleaner sprayed into the actual pot.

Good Luck
Mad_Chemist

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 10 Feb 2012 07:47

I think you have to go in from below, to get cleaner into the pots. They are not sliders.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby harrypj » 10 Feb 2012 14:19

Thanks,
I'll give the cleaning a try. I take it that this table should be rock stable. As in, the dot not moving.
harrypj

Postby Mad_Chemist » 10 Feb 2012 15:38

harrypj wrote:Thanks,
I'll give the cleaning a try. I take it that this table should be rock stable. As in, the dot not moving.

Yes, the strobe dots should appear to be perfectly stationary. I have an SL-1100A that I bought way back in the mid 70s (when I was in High School). It still works like a champ!

The only thing I ever had to replace was the pilot lamp.

Good Luck cleaning those pots. I'll bet that will solve your problem.
Mad_Chemist

United States of America

Postby harrypj » 11 Feb 2012 16:05

Mad_Chemist wrote:
harrypj wrote:Thanks,

Yes, the strobe dots should appear to be perfectly stationary. I have an SL-1100A that I bought way back in the mid 70s (when I was in High School). It still works like a champ!

The only thing I ever had to replace was the pilot lamp.

Good Luck cleaning those pots. I'll bet that will solve your problem.

Thanks,
Glad to here from an owner of a SL-1100A, great table.
harrypj

Return to Technics