the home of the turntable

michell focus one help please

a space odyssey

michell focus one help please

Postby where2b » 21 Jan 2012 18:02

Hi All,
Im in the process at buying a Michell focus one with a rega rb300 arm and if you look at my other post you will see it was a battle between the focus and an AR..
Heres the problem,The seller played a few lps on it and it sounded great,but I noticed that after one or two,when the record ended and between tracks,there was a noise coming from what I now know is the speed change. When I pointed it out,all he did was slightly press down on the speed change and it went away.when he pressed down too hard it changed speed!!
Anyway, the sound cant be heard when playing a record,but comes back every now and then which is irritating....does something need to be oiled? He says its always been like that and doesent notice it anymore.
Apart from that the tt sounds great and runs fine,but Im worried it may be something needs adjusting.
Any help guys?....Please
where2b

Re: michell focus one help please

Postby JaS » 21 Jan 2012 18:42

It sounds like either the speed change arm needs adjusting/lubricating or it needs a new belt? It could even be something as simple as the drive surfaces/belt needing cleaning to keep the belt running in the right spot :-k

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Postby where2b » 21 Jan 2012 19:44

Its been fitted with a new belt...but Ive been listening for over an hour now and changed a few records and no noise...this is strange as I cant figure out whats rubbing or making the noise....does anyone know how to run the turntable with the cover off? Because the magnetic switch comes off with the coverplate I cant run it to have a better look
cheers and thanks so far...Its sounding great though!!
where2b

Postby Werner » 21 Jan 2012 20:02

You're in London. Take it to Borehamwood. The train stops just in front of Michell.
Or at least give them a call.
Michell Orbe/SME IV/Lyra Delos/Michell Iso & Orca & Alecto Stereo/Quad ESL-63/Denon DVD-2930/Apogee MiniDAC/Pioneer N-50 streamer/Tascam DV-RA1000 recorder/Nakamichi 480 recorder
Werner
long player
long player
contributor

Belgium

Postby abril » 21 Jan 2012 22:14

If it's anything like the Hydraulic Ref the belt runs between 2 fingers which guide it onto the appropriate pulley dia,and the belt is rubbing against one of those fingers.

Take off the plate with the switch magnet and use an external magnet (fridge magnet?) against the reed switch to trip it,you will see then what is happening,by my estimation a minor adjustment of the lever (if the same mechanism as the Hydraulic) will see you good.
abril
long player
long player
contributor

Postby drumbills » 28 Feb 2012 16:21

Hi, I had the same prob with my focus and as above, the speed changer was rubbing on the belt. Take of the switch plate, undo the speed change nob, clean and reassemble, if prob still exists the spring that goes into it may need a slight squeese to aline it, I removed the spring as i never play 45s and the speed change still works but you need to look through the switch plate and line it up. Hope this is helpfull.The focus is a great turntable.cheers..
Can anyone suggest a replacement cartrige, i used A&R P77 prior but this is now discontinued. I use Linn LVX Tonearm, Michell Focus one, Arcam alpha 8 amp and Castle Isis speakers, Im looking for equal to or upgrade from the p77. cheers...
drumbills

Great Britain

Postby where2b » 28 Feb 2012 19:56

Hi,
You can still get the excellent P77 if you do a search on EB*Y...as they do come up from time to time...I also know where a new replacement stylus can be got new,but its just over £60 for an elliptical and £90 for the better one
I have a spare one now as I really like the cartridge,and got it on ebay for £49 hardly used.
Thanks for the tip on the turntable,and yes,it was the new belt rubbing,so I used the talc trick first and that worked,and its still working fine,if its rubbing,I cant hear it and I do check now and again.
where2b

Return to Michell