the home of the turntable

Rotel rp1500 - back into use

snap, crackle and pop

Rotel rp1500 - back into use

Postby p3050 » 19 Nov 2011 18:25

Hi All

I have rescued my old Rotel rp1500 turntable from the attic after about 25 years and connected it to my old setup (jvc JR-s200l receiver and leak 2030 speakers)

Fitted a new drivebelt and off it went. Ran it for 30 mins after strobe indicated a bit of a wobbly speed but it settled down nicely. Just a few of issues to sort.
The speed controls are a bit sensitive and notchy, can anyone suggest how to make them adjust the speed smoothly again like they used to. Secondly, the rubber cone feet have perished and need replacement - any suggestions? It has the original rubber platter mat.
The cartridge fitted is a shure M75MB type 2. It sounds fine (my lugs are 61 years old) but i read that the rubber bits of cartridges of this age and stood unused for a long time can become stiff, would a new cartridge improve matters?
Final question - regards what to put the turntable on. Does it need to be sat on something really solid, isolated from the other bits. The speakers will be well away fron the turntable.

Any comments/suggestions will be really helpful.

Many thanks

p3050
p3050

Re: Rotel rp1500 - back into use

Postby paul401 » 20 Nov 2011 00:46

Hi,
I have one of these ( picked up a while (long while) back from a boot sale- still needs new feet and a dodgy lead out cable re-soldering, on the to do list!).

The small potentiometers (or 'pots') , that are the speed controls will need a clean, I use Servisol switch/contact cleaner, but any brand should do, from memory I think you will need to remove the base to gain access, so unplug the deck, then a little 'squirt' of cleaner, you need to get it right inside the pots, then turn them back and forth a few times.
The deck should be placed on something solid, the original rubber feet offered some isolation, but not much, so solid and isolated (with spikes, maybe) would be best. Obviously also depends a bit on floor type, concrete, suspended wood etc.

As for replacement feet, this ties in a bit with the above on placement, you might try and get hold of something similar to the originals, or if it's used on a isolated stand/platform you could use just about anything, depending if you want to DIY or buy, wooden/metal cones, dowel rod, rubber blocks etc. I once supported a deck on black plastic 35mm film canisters (there still around -- just!), it was a temporary measure, whilst I fixed it, but they looked (and worked) ok! :)

The cartridge is a bit of a try it and see thing really, some older carts go and on, but yes the rubber can/will stiffen over time. New carts, budget end the Audio Technica 95 or 120, going upwards the Ortofon 2M Red might be worth a look. Plenty more options available.

Paul
paul401
long player
long player

Great Britain

Re: Rotel rp1500 - back into use

Postby p3050 » 21 Nov 2011 21:56

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the info, I'll give it a go & let you know how it all pans out

Many thanks

peter
p3050