the home of the turntable

What Turntable do you use?

snap, crackle and pop

Re: What Turntable do you use?

Postby youngdand » 22 Oct 2011 12:47

Running an Ariston RD11s With a syrinx PU2 are and AT31e cart, although also have AT32 but no screws long enough nor the inclination to change it at the moment. running through a NAD PP2 phone pre with uprated 1.5amp PSU in to my Yarland FV34c III EL84 valve amp.

Does me for the time being, would like a valve phono stage next and a nice quality step up transformer.
youngdand
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby Jonti » 26 Oct 2011 01:24

I now use a Sony PS-X75:

Sublime engineering!
Jonti

Postby NH4012 » 26 Oct 2011 18:41

For LP's, I use a JVC QL-Y66F. I have been using a Grado G2 or Ortofon MM cartridge, but just ran into an extremely rare Klipsh (Zenn) Ruby moving coil cartridge with ruby cantilever and line contact stylus so I just had to check it out. Since my Technics R&B SU-A4 has one of the cleanest and quietest MC inputs known to man, I was able to test it and found it to be better than anything I've ever tried before.
My "other" (flat record) turntable is a modified Mitsubishi that I converted many years ago to 78RPM and fitted with a vertical/lateral switch (vertical for Edison Diamond Discs) and Shure V-15 type 3 with VN78E elyptical stylus. It runs through a Marantz Audio Consolette (Marantz model 1) which I run flat and then into (in this sequence) an SAE 5000A impulse noise reduction system (used judiciously) then through an Alesis two channel 30 band EQ which has individual switching for each half so I cascade the two halves switching in either the first half which I've tuned for acoustic 78's or the second half which I've tuned for electric 78's. Since many records want individual EQ correction and I don't want to muck with my Alesis settings, I then go though an AB 30 band EQ for individual record touchup. Finally, I send it to the SU-A4 Aux input. Sorry to be so long winded but telling what turntable I use without these details offers too little information to be useful. I won't go into details on my Edison Cylinder playing turntable because I've retired the one I built 40 years ago and am just beginning construction of its successor.
NH4012
contributor

Postby ken.nelson0317 » 26 Oct 2011 19:52

I just got my marantz 6300. Just downloaded the manuel and fixing to clean it completely and adjust everything. Sounds great now but I want to get a new cartridge and stylus. Any suggestions.
ken.nelson0317

Postby MasterCylinder » 27 Oct 2011 21:18

With

MasterCylinder

United States of America

Postby runforfree » 03 Nov 2011 20:46

I am currently using a Roksan Xerxes MK1 piano black)with an Audio Origami fully upgraded (internal, external wiring, new end stub and filled arm tube,fully chromed for aesthetics) and a Ortofon Rondo Red MC cartridge. The sound is fast tight and slamming with base as I have the end stub on the tonearm weighted for base. I use this TT for Rock music and R@B. The most significant upgrade sonically was the upgrading of the Rega 250 by by Johnnie at AO, I reckon this arm would be a match for any Roksan in house arm.

I have a Systemdeck IV, had it from the eighties with a Alphason HR200 tonearm and AT OC-7 cartridge, sounds brillian too , weighs a ton and I play classical, well my Dad does on this TT. Its a bug, I`ve seen on a well known auction site, Gyrodecks, Manticore`s and Townsend all from the eighties and have to stop myself from jumping in simply to hear their sonic abilities. Ihave a Ariston RD40 which was my first TT in the mid to late 80`s , hasnt been played since 1989.

Avoided LP12 for the future when I`m truly looking to explore other avenues and I can afford to do the whole LP12, EKOS properly. Did hear a LP12 , Ittok and Troika in the early 90`s and it was superb.
runforfree

Postby 33-45-78 » 09 Nov 2011 10:36

Hi all, first post!

My rig is the AS Samba, a very easy rig to set up and live with. WAF is high plus it looks the business without being monumental or imposing, most importantly it IS the business at the eardrum. Arm is RB250 with CW and Cardas rewire. I've previously owned Technics SL-1200 and SP-10MKII, Regas, a mint vintage Marantz DD that was left on the street for garbage collection (oh the humanity!) and others not worthy of mention. I can't see myself parting with the Samba. Upgrades however....

Custom Blu-Tac tuning by Bostik, the improvement is substantial.

Edit: ken.nelson I had that deck. The best matched cart I tried with it was a Garrott KT3, the purple one. Use cork in place of the stock rubber mat and this deck although rumbly really sings.
33-45-78
contributor

Australia

Postby davidcat » 12 Nov 2011 15:21

19390I use a Clearaudio Reference deck, with Basis Vector arm and Audiotechnica cart.
davidcat

Postby Blue Angel » 12 Nov 2011 21:41

Here they are (for now) :oops:

Lovely decks, gents 8) Keep 'em coming and spinning.

ba18748168831576413288
"If you don't like my principles, I have others" - Groucho Marx
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Postby mrsipowitz » 12 Nov 2011 23:28

Beautiful turntables, people!

I've just replaced my Rega P3-24 + PSU with this beauty.......

mrsipowitz

New Zealand

Postby awty » 13 Nov 2011 01:40

An old grey one, on a silky oak desk, with a rb300 :D
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41723arm.

awty

Postby awty » 13 Nov 2011 01:42

mrsipowitz wrote:I've just replaced my Rega P3-24 + PSU with this beauty.......

Whats with the water bowl?
awty

Postby mrsipowitz » 13 Nov 2011 02:18

awty wrote:

Ha Ha! :lol: It's a viscous silicon. See here where it is all explained......

http://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylis ... 6listening

And in case you don't feel like reading it all, here are two paragraphs from the article which will clear things up for you :

"That's something Firebaugh executed with particular cunning: The tube of his Well Tempered Tonearm is rigidly fastened to a flat disc roughly the size and shape of a poker chip. That paddle, which is the part of the arm that actually hangs from the nylon strands, spends all of its time relaxing in a metal cup filled with a viscous silicone fluid more or less the consistency of honey. No doubt you can imagine the consequence: The fluid presents little resistance as the relatively thin paddle rotates in the lateral plane, allowing the armtube to trace the record groove. But the resistance of the goo, and thus its damping effect, is significantly greater in the vertical plane.

In all, the WT Tonearm is as different from a Linn Ekos or Naim Aro arm as a Citroën is from a Subaru, even though in each pairing the two things accomplish more or less the same task. Both approaches account for the fact that the resonant energy created during record playback is itself a cause of distortion, while the Linn and others like it tackle the problem by making sure that every part of the player as a whole can resonate in response to that energy in precisely the same manner, thus preventing the distorting effects of allowing different parts of the record-playing system to move relative to one another. But the WT Tonearm tackles the problem by attempting to eliminate the unwanted energy before it has a chance to sully the works, by means of damping.
"

Cool turntable, by the way awty. 8)
mrsipowitz

New Zealand

Postby awty » 13 Nov 2011 04:14

mrsipowitz wrote:
awty wrote:

Ha Ha! :lol: It's a viscous silicon. See here where it is all explained......

Interesting. Do you have any problems with cueing? Do you have to wait till the momentum in the fluid stops before you can play.....if you know what I mean.

I had to couple my tone arm to the suspended platter support, so the platter and arm run in unison apart from the deck....sorta.....but I like your set up.
awty

Postby mrsipowitz » 13 Nov 2011 04:48

Thanks, awty. Cueing is actually pretty easy (which surprised me to be honest) - the silicon is thick enough that it holds the arm up fairly well. The arm will fall if I drop it of course but it doesn't feel "loose" like I imagined it would.

So you made the plinth yourself? Looks very nice indeed.
mrsipowitz

New Zealand

PreviousNext

Return to Turntables and Tonearms