the home of the turntable

Question Of Value: Vatican Collection 78 "album"

3 minute wonder

Question Of Value: Vatican Collection 78 "album"

Postby wordwizard » 18 Aug 2011 04:00

A relative cleaned up her grandmother's attic and among some 150 plus 78 records there is an album labeled "The Vatican Collection"

These are single sided 78s and several by Enrico Caruso.

I didn't have time to look at all of them but they are thinking of putting the entire collection [mind you, there are many single sided 78s there] on a yard sale sometime this fall.

I tried to tell them to have someone appraise this lot but they are convinced that they can make more money that way... some people are that hard headed.

Anyway, any idea of the rarity of this album?
wordwizard

United States of America

Postby pogo » 19 Aug 2011 01:38

WW, I'd go to Nauck's Vintage Records at http://www.78rpm.com/. They deal in 78s and only 78s. They will give you a quote if you email them. This is their business and I would expect that their opinion is a pretty good starting point.
pogo
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyldisc » 19 Aug 2011 01:49

vinyldisc

Postby wordwizard » 19 Aug 2011 20:39

pogo wrote:WW, I'd go to Nauck's Vintage Records at http://www.78rpm.com/. They deal in 78s and only 78s. They will give you a quote if you email them. This is their business and I would expect that their opinion is a pretty good starting point.

Thanks, will do.
wordwizard

United States of America

Postby Whitneyville » 20 Aug 2011 07:13

WW, simply because of their AGE and if the collection is even mostly complete, they're like 1903 St. Guadin's $20 Gold Eagles (worth 1000 times their bullion weight today). I have less than 1/3 of three Caruso Victola "Albums" of a dozen 78's each. If I had any of the sets "filled out" I wouldn't have to worry about money for the next decade or so. It's like have a dozen Hummel figures vs: having #'s 12-23 consecutively. The former might be worth $120 tops, the latter $200,000 and up.
Whitneyville
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby wordwizard » 21 Aug 2011 05:34

There is that, Ricky.

I didn't have time then and I haven't' gotten back to look some more. At this point all I can do is tell them the suspected value of the ones that are there and for them to research the rest.

Of course, there is always the chance that there is one that some collector needs to fill the hole in their otherwise complete collection.

So, how ya been? Everything OK down your way in OK? -no pun intended <G>
wordwizard

United States of America

Postby LPfan » 21 Aug 2011 07:46

Wordwizard,

If they do not want to heed your advice and put them up at the yard sell, offer them a few dollers more the the best offer at that sale or send a dummy buyer there to buy the lot and then you know what to do :)

Regards,

LPfan
Music is a universal language.
LPfan
long player
long player

India

Postby Whitneyville » 22 Aug 2011 03:32

WW, we finally got a little break from the heat, but it's still dry. My last back injections didn't agree with me so well. This one kicked my rear-end around the block and back, so I've been running real slow for the last month.
Have you seen the new NFL commercial with the Dual 1215 (I think) on a tapered United Audio plinth? I'm still not sure what the ad is about, but the Dual is playing opera! I like my feetsball, but trying to check-out the TT is a higher priority? Sick man, sick. :oops:
Whitneyville
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby wordwizard » 24 Aug 2011 01:19

LPfan wrote:Wordwizard...If they do not want to heed your advice and put them up at the yard sell, offer them a few dollers more the the best offer at that sale or send a dummy buyer there to buy the lot and then you know what to do :) Regards,LPfan

The thought has crossed my mind :wink:
wordwizard

United States of America

Postby wordwizard » 24 Aug 2011 01:23

Hey Whitney, sorry to hear about your back, that can sure slow you down in a hurry...

Re the commercial; I wouldn't know, I don't follow hockey so....

One thing I remember fondly about selling 1215s; we had a tilting base where we would set a record playing and then start tilting the 1215 up to about a 30° incline and it would continue to track flawlessly.
wordwizard

United States of America

Return to 78rpm