the home of the turntable

Old Albums Without The Covers Are People Still Interested?

name that tune

Old albums without the covers are people still interested?

Postby wailinfree » 07 May 2010 12:39

I realize as a collector that an Album without the cover is pronbably a no go.
I have alot of old records I got from my step dad. Unfortunately we had a flood and I lost alot of covers for fear of mildew smell. I probably good have dried them but I was to devesataed with the flood.
I kept all the albums and I am sure there are some good ones in there that may have been worth alot if they still had the covers.
Do you think they will still be semi saleable without the sleeves?
Got alot of old jazz and classical - classic rock etc

Thanks again
Wailin
wailinfree

Missing Record Sleeves

Postby 1200y3 » 07 May 2010 12:55

Of course. The vinyl sound quality will make them worth it. Of course the covers are nice, but to people who accumulate alot of records, covers are alot of weight and space. And recrods for testing and experimental purposes, or recreation will also be nice to have.

Buyers will say what they want to pay less, and many collectable records are not meant to be played, and many are. Some are collected for only the sleve, or someone has a good sleve without a record.
1200y3
long player
long player

Postby wailinfree » 07 May 2010 18:26

thanks 1000y3
like i said I know I have alot of old classics
Is the best place to sell records on ebay or craigs list
or is there a forum here for that
thanks again
wailinfree

Postby wintermute » 07 May 2010 21:20

Oh he11 yea... When I started collecting years ago the local record shop would sell records sans covers for 25c. Great deal for someone starting a collection. All were good LP's too. Nowadays I'm sure that many would be interested. Even if only to upgrade a disc they already have...
wintermute

records without sleeves

Postby josephazannieri » 07 May 2010 21:53

Yo Wailinfree:

Sliding unsleeved records against each other in storage or handling is not a good idea. Damages the playing surfaces. That's why you don't want to leave the records uncovered. As for value, it depends on what's on the record, and how much people want it.

Over the years I have often come into records that didn't have covers. It's not uncommon, but you really need to get them in sleeves for protection. If you toss the record for being unplayable, you can always keep the sleeve.

You can buy the paper sleeves for records from Bags Unlimited for dirt cheap. I'd suggest that you at least put the record in a paper sleeve for protection. Makes it easier to handle, too. You don't touch the playing surfaces of the record, you handle it by the edges. Bags Unlimited also sells plain white cardboard sleeves for records. I keep these around for when I get a record, 78, 45 or LP that doesn't have a sleeve. www.bagsunlimited.com. How many records do you have? Might be worth it to buy at least some paper sleeves and cover them up to prevent further deterioration.

If you want to sell them, they will sell easier if they are in sleeves. Look less like they have been rode hard and put away wet. Also helps people to look at them.

Hope this helps!

Good luck from that baggy old guy with sleeves.

Joe Z.
josephazannieri
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Whitneyville » 09 May 2010 06:44

I buy white covers too and MFSL sleeves. I hunt around on the web-sites for the album, then print off an 8 1/2 x 8 1/2" color "label" and paste it on the white cover, and print a label of the name of the Album/artist for the "spine". I'll gladly buy albums without covers if it's something I really want, I'll pay $4-5 for a mint copy.
Whitneyville
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby timspell » 11 May 2010 05:20

I was at a flea market this past weekend, and one vendor had a huge stack of LPs sans covers. I took a look at a few -- which were not in terrible shape -- but I just couldn't go there.
timspell
long player
long player

Postby Whitneyville » 11 May 2010 09:00

Tim, my buddy's flea market booth is where my "culls" of the bargain LP's I get end up. He sells them for 50 cents and we split it in half. He sold over 50 one Saturday (!) which just about paid for my last 4 boxes of old records. In the last 250+, there are some diamonds amoung the dirt too. Some RCA Victor Red Seal classical "sets" that just needed cleaning, and some excellent mono Hank Williams Sr. stuff that are REALLY hard to find in any condition. People don't go thru stuff they inheirited or whatever, and don't have any idea of what they have, so they put a $5 label on a storage box of LP's and I grab 'em. Sometimes it's all junk, a few good/very goods that are dupilcates I can sell to the used vinyl stores, and some you'll have to pry my cold, dead fingers off of.
Whitneyville
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby LousyTourist » 12 May 2010 13:31

I never buy records w/o covers. My assumption is that the record has been poorly kept and is probably trashed.

I wouldn't expect to put your kids through college on the proceeds.

Good luck though.
LousyTourist
contributor

United States of America

Sleveless records

Postby 1200y3 » 13 May 2010 14:17

If I didn't throw my covers away my records would have all been stolen.
1200y3
long player
long player

Return to Music and Records