the home of the turntable

Ortofon VMS 20E Mk II

the thin end of the wedge

Postby stefanl » 01 Nov 2005 03:03

The Ortofon VMS 20E Mk11 actually stands out from the rest of the VMS series because of it's unusual combination of a high vertical compliance (30cu )and very low tracking weight(1gm)this makes it quite different from the rest of the VMS series,the 3,10,30 etc.The only difference between the VMS 20 and 30 though was the stylus which is changeable between models.I think I mentioned before there is an Ortofon brochure here in the Vinyl Engine library with the data and description of VMS technology.
stefanl

so..

Postby probedms » 01 Nov 2005 04:39

so when i put a vms20 stylus on my vms5 cart will i be pleased!!??
probedms

United States of America

Postby stefanl » 01 Nov 2005 05:24

You can try it and report back for our edification! I would remember to reset the tracking weight to I gm,check the alignment etc.I think the stylus will fit,don't force it too hard.The replacement for the VMS 3 looks much the same visually as the others in this series.
stefanl

Postby idleman » 01 Nov 2005 23:12

Hello Bauzace, yes, I've played with the OM series right up to the 40 Super, and you're right: the OM series errs towards the brighter/thinner while being beautifully smooth and of high resolution, while the older VMS err toward the richer, but while retaining superb and extended high frequencies and detail. Probably as digital became the benchmark for neutrality, most manufacturers (except Grado) tilted things towards the upper end of the spectrum, whereas before richness was the standard. Myself, I'm a richer end of the spectrum man with emphasis on the midrange: Grado, Denon DL-103, VMS, Piezo moving iron, are my personal standard, and I do prefer red wine over white wine! :wink: Not that I ignore the high frequencies. :roll: Complicated business.
idleman

Postby Dave_2002 » 02 Nov 2005 18:09

My only experience of Ortofon was with a OM-5 and it was exactly as idleman described; high resolution but thin and a bit bright. I actually found the cartridge to be quite fatiguing and it hated poorly pressed (dance promos) records with a vengeance - never feeling it was in control. I swapped it for a Nagaoka Mp-11 which is much more pleasing in my opinion. I've never had another Ortofon to compare it with though :?
Dave_2002

Postby Ste_S » 02 Nov 2005 22:25

idleman wrote:Hello Bauzace, yes, I've played with the OM series right up to the 40 Super, and you're right: the OM series errs towards the brighter/thinner while being beautifully smooth and of high resolution, while the older VMS err toward the richer, but while retaining superb and extended high frequencies and detail. Probably as digital became the benchmark for neutrality, most manufacturers (except Grado) tilted things towards the upper end of the spectrum, whereas before richness was the standard. Myself, I'm a richer end of the spectrum man with emphasis on the midrange: Grado, Denon DL-103, VMS, Piezo moving iron, are my personal standard, and I do prefer red wine over white wine! :wink: Not that I ignore the high frequencies. :roll: Complicated business.

Pretty much how I'd describe the VMS. How does it compare to a DL-103 ?
Ste_S

Postby idleman » 03 Nov 2005 00:21

That's a tough one, as other than the richness and midrange-oriented sound they are nothing alike. I would say the Denon is more wowie-zowie, is more dynamic, more driving and is overall more detailed. The Ortofon is actually more extended and beautiful silky-smooth in the high frequencies, more MM-smooth and of-a-piece overall, less tight and powerful in the bass, more comforting to listen to. But it definitely benefits from being fitted to a Mayware unipivot tonearm, where it acquires speed and detail which puts it up with the MCs in these respects! Tough to do one-on-one comparisons, as arms which work for the Denon do not work for the Ortofon, and vice-versa. I'm glad I have more than one turntable hooked up at any one time, as I would hate to have to choose between my babies! :D
idleman

Postby bauzace50 » 03 Nov 2005 01:20

Thanks, all, for the detailed descriptions! The Ortofon website is listing only one replacement stylus for the VMS series: the D20E Mk II. This will fit all VMS20 bodies, and the VMS 30 MkII.
For what it's worth, the Super OM series have been good to me, with sound more akin to the MCs, regarding detail and timbre. (The "plain" OM series is different).
I do appreciate the warmth and full body cited for the VMS, and have one favorite cartridge with that same "personality" in the Empire EDR .9
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Postby Ste_S » 03 Nov 2005 09:48

Cheers idleman, an interesting comparison there.

I do quite fancy giving a DL-103 a go at some point, thank goodness for removable headshells on the R200
Ste_S

Postby Mark E Smith's Dentist » 12 Apr 2006 18:49

I did a silly thing recently - I bought a NOS VMS20E MkII stylus thinking it would fit a VMS20E cart. It doesn't :oops: Ortofon kindly changed the shape of the plastic bit that fits in the cart body.
Does anyone have a spare VMS MkII cartridge they don't want?
Failing that can anyone suggest a reason why I shouldn't butcher the stylus assembly and then superglue it in place 8-[
Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby stefanl » 12 Apr 2006 20:32

I have a DEOVI replacement stylus for this cartridge which works fine so I can suggest that you try them for a generic replacement.Also this company carries a replacement and is
reputable.http://www.soundring.com.au/StyliResults.cfm If you notice the D20E stylus replacement does not have the offending little piece that jams the cartridge body as the D20E Mk 11 replacement on the same page.
stefanl

Replacement Stylus for VMS30 MkII

Postby dlaloum » 01 Nov 2010 13:22

Thought I would resurrect this thread and ask if anyone knows of a third party making replacement styli for VMS30mkII...

I know ortofon still have the VMS20mkII styli available - but would like a Fine Line / Micro Ridge / Sas option.....

thanks
dlaloum
long player
long player
contributor

Postby fantasia » 01 Nov 2010 14:26

HI iam not sure about that someonr probably ortofon always charged like wounded bulls for their stylii!!!!!

I own a VMS20E MK-2 i would describe it as "Blandness on Steroids"

I don't hate it or do i salavate at playing it!!!!!

I thought it was permanently broken but i fixed the output pin that snaped
so it works just have to get a stylus like you a source of reasonable quality stylii would be good HMMMMMMM Anderson's an EBAY store does Stock some a neglected cart these days must work well with the right setup!!

Fantasia
fantasia

Postby elgobbes » 01 Nov 2010 20:16

You can try checking here. There is some after market info on this thread.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=325661
elgobbes

Postby bubba45 » 01 Nov 2010 21:39

You could try this:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchan ... =ORTSM20ES

Or I have one of these and they are a step up from the usual elliptical stylus:

http://www.musonic.co.uk/d20e-super-ell ... 11389.html

It says its a D20E Super stylus, but its actually an Ortofon M20E Super Elliptical stylus. Still a MI not MM and fits the VMS20E MKII. Sounds fantastic straight out of the box so can only improve.

Not tried any other variations apart from a NOS D20e stylus which also sounds excellent.
bubba45
long player
long player

Great Britain

PreviousNext

Return to Cartridges and Preamps

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising