the home of the turntable

Garrard Zero 92 information?

the jewel in the crown

Garrard Zero 92 information?

Postby Dick Schneiders » 26 Oct 2005 10:11

Knowing full well all of the pitfalls with using a record changer, I still need a decent one. I have thousands of 45's and 78's and simply do not play them as I do not enjoy getting up every 2 to 3 minutes to change the record on my Thorens.

I have recently set my sights on a Garrard Zero 92, because it has both the 45 and 78 rpm speeds, with 33 1/3. However, I have not had much luck locating any information on the Zero 92. Has anybody ever come across any sites with Zero 92 information?

I need basic information, even, like is it the same as the Zero 100, except for the 78 rpm speed? There were three versions of the Zero 100. Which does the Zero 92 most compare with? Is it belt drive, direct drive or rim drive? I assume that the arm is exactly the same, but I don't even know this.

Thanks for any information or leads you can supply,

Dick Schneiders
Dick Schneiders

United States of America

Garrard Zero 92

Postby Blue Angel » 26 Oct 2005 17:07

Dick, How about a Wurlitzer for your 45's?

OK. That takes care of the 45rpm problem.

The surprises you may hear on the 78's will let you forget all that goes with jumping up and down every few minutes. I think it will be some 78's for tonight.

Creakingly yours

Blue Angel
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Dick Schneiders » 26 Oct 2005 18:06

Well, a Wurlitzer would hold a few of my 45's, but then I would have to get inside of it quite often to change the selections. There is also the problem of having to print up new song title/artist slips to put into the list of the selections. I would rather tinker with a finicky arm and headshell, than do that. :-)

I was using an old Voice of Music stereo turntable from the late 1950's that belonged to my parents, but it went belly up quite awhile ago and I have not been enjoying my singles much at all since then.

Just call me lazy!

Dick Schneiders
Dick Schneiders

United States of America

Garrard Zero 92

Postby Blue Angel » 26 Oct 2005 22:13

Hi Dick

I think I broke-up some Garrard el-cheapo changer some years ago for arm wire but don't think it was one of these. I'll keep my eyes open for something like this here in Cape Town. It may be cheaper than e-bay.

Some years ago I read about a similar device which got a Golden Turkey award. Can't remember the entire pic description but some of it mentioned...'and then a hand picks the record up and deposits it in the built-in rubbish bin'...

Regards

Blue Angel
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby rexation » 28 Oct 2005 05:16

Hi

I think the Zero 92 uses a single centre post to hold records when in use as a changer which puts quite a strain on fragile 78's and contributes to chipped centre holes.

If you want to do it that way, then get a Dual 1200 series table. They are very common and operate as changers with the single centre post. I have a 1219 which has a very heavy platter and a relatively long tonearm [as Duals go] that makes it a very very good performer. I have only used mine as a manual table so I can't comment on how well it performs as a changer. The value of some of those earlier Garrards etc is that the records are supported at several points, not just on the center post.

I guess you abandoned the Garrard Type A. I fiddled around with one of those and honestly I have found the earlier RC88/4 and 98/4 to be better as changers. You might want to check them out - they cycle through better and I also found that the A labours painfully up to speed with that heavy outer ring on the platter. None of those Garrard tables has a very good arm however. They all require very heavy tracking weight to function properly as changers so beware.

I would be interested to hear what happens with the zero 92, should you find one. That arm is particularly intriguing.

R
rexation

Postby Dick Schneiders » 28 Oct 2005 09:50

rexation,

Thanks for the comments about the way the Zero 92 holds a stack of 78's - that is good information to know.

Yes, although I did get a Type A, it really doesn't work as well as I had hoped, so I started looking again.

I have had others tell me to find a Dual changer, but the Garrard Zero series is no slouch. There are several people that I have seen reports from, that like them quite a bit. They have some advantages over the Duals. Some that I can remember are the Garrard uses metal parts in areas of the changer mechanism where the Dual uses plastic. Also, the motor of the Garrard is considered to be much better built and smoother. The Zero arm, while finicky, can be made to track well with some effort.

Anyway, I do have a Zero 92 on the way to me that is supposed to be working 100%. I have concerns about it reaching me in one piece, but we shall see.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders
Dick Schneiders

United States of America

Return to Garrard