the home of the turntable

Naim Nac 112

the thin end of the wedge

Naim Nac 112

Postby geordie » 17 Dec 2008 00:52

Hi everyone

thinking about buying a naim nac 112 preamp but peoples opions vary, and I have been given mixed feedback from people who have/do own them?

Is it anygood??

I can't afford a higher spec preamp.

Does antone have help/advice.......different options (would like the naim route)

regards

geordie
geordie

Re: Naim Nac 112

Postby andyr » 17 Dec 2008 08:55

geordie wrote:
thinking about buying a naim nac 112 preamp but peoples opinions vary, and I have been given mixed feedback from people who have/do own them?

Is it any good??

I can't afford a higher spec preamp.

Hi geordie,

If you are financially challenged (in that you can't afford a more expensive Naim preamp than a 112 :D ), can I suggest you would be better off buying Naim's original preamp - the NAC12s? I would think this must be cheaper to buy than the 112 and I would suggest it will not sound worse! :shock:

I still have the one I bought 30 years ago (now in my "second" system but heavily modified :D ) and there are many things you can do to it, to make it sound better. I guess it depends if you are a DIY "modder" or not?

The 12s is, basically, a "motherboard" onto which 3 pairs of PCBs can be planted. The first pair are the phono boards - MC or MM and you can buy about 5 different versions of these - so you're not necessarily stuck with the ones which came with the 12s you buy. Later editions sound better than earlier ones.

The second & third pair of PCBs form the basic line-stage preamp. These are also available in several versions - or you can go to Avondale who make their own (higher performing! :D ) substitutes.

Another thing you can do is mod it into "12s-5" spec ... ie. powered by a HiCap. This feeds 2 x 24v DC rails, separating the powering of one pair of boards from another - which improves it.

The only possible downside IMO is that it has only 3 input selections (which is enough, in my second system).

Regards,

Andy
andyr

Postby ruknd » 22 Dec 2008 06:21

I can't tell you not to buy Naim. The only problem is that once you smoke the Naim pipe you may become addicted. I love my 102!
ruknd

Return to Cartridges and Preamps

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising