Denon DP-62L rebuild question

deeply dp
Edvins

Denon DP-62L rebuild question

Post by Edvins » 29 Apr 2017 03:50

I read the following post regarding the re-cap of a Denon turntable:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=65217&start=15

I just purchased a DP-62L and am about to do the same.

Looking at the parts list used, I was able to find every component except for the Black Gate caps.

I'm trying to determine an appropriate alternative. I'm trying to determine if the following swap looks reasonable. I believe it would be, but the price difference between the Black Gate and the Nichicon has me a little spooked:

2 BlackGate Cap 47uf / 25VDC, PK Series BLKGATE-60168
@ $3.95 ea $7.90

with

Nichicon Elec. Cap 47uF / 25 V, SW Series, 6.3x7, NICHICON-76185 @ $0.25 ea $0.50

Thanks for any advice or guidance you can provide.

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Denon DP-62L rebuild question

Post by EdAInWestOC » 05 May 2017 19:27

There are only two caps that make any difference in the recapping of a 62L that is the two coupling caps that are inline from the servo head to the speed control IC. IIRC that is C1 and C2 and they are 1uF caps. You just need any decent quality audio coupling caps. You don't need anything like Black Gates.

The rest of the caps are general purpose electrolytics. Just watch out for the bipolar caps when you order replacements. There are a some on the circuit board.

I went overboard with my coupling caps and used Nichicon FG caps and they didn't cost anything like you are quoting.

Ed

Edvins

Post by Edvins » 05 May 2017 19:47

EdAInWestOC wrote:There are only two caps that make any difference in the recapping of a 62L that is the two coupling caps that are inline from the servo head to the speed control IC. IIRC that is C1 and C2 and they are 1uF caps. You just need any decent quality audio coupling caps. You don't need anything like Black Gates.

The rest of the caps are general purpose electrolytics. Just watch out for the bipolar caps when you order replacements. There are a some on the circuit board.

I went overboard with my coupling caps and used Nichicon FG caps and they didn't cost anything like you are quoting.

Ed
Thank you. I appreciate your response. I will start with the two caps you identified. Looking forward to completing this and enjoying the turntable!

Ed

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 09 May 2017 02:44

Be careful when you are recapping the PCB. Do not overheat the solder. The Denon circuit board has the habit of forming cracks in the traces if you overheat the solder joints. This is true about other circuit boards as well but the Denon circuit board is a bit sensitive.

Just be aware,
Ed

Edvins

Post by Edvins » 09 May 2017 03:21

EdAInWestOC wrote:Be careful when you are recapping the PCB. Do not overheat the solder. The Denon circuit board has the habit of forming cracks in the traces if you overheat the solder joints. This is true about other circuit boards as well but the Denon circuit board is a bit sensitive.

Just be aware,
Ed

Thanks for the head-up. I just received my shipment of caps. Time to warm up the Hakko soldering station. ;)

Edvins

Post by Edvins » 13 May 2017 15:44

EdAInWestOC wrote:Be careful when you are recapping the PCB. Do not overheat the solder. The Denon circuit board has the habit of forming cracks in the traces if you overheat the solder joints. This is true about other circuit boards as well but the Denon circuit board is a bit sensitive.

Just be aware,
Ed
OK - I received my shipment of Caps -getting ready to start this project this weekend. I understand the heat sensitivity and that it is important not to over heat the solder. I have a digital soldering station and have pretty granular control of heat levels. Is there a recommended temperature I should use? thanks.

Ed

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 14 May 2017 03:42

I am not aware of a specific temperature, sorry. So...

I looked up this issue it is recommended that 600-700 degrees Fahrenheit (320-370 degrees Celsius) is the setting that should work.

The issue is temperature and time. If your soldering iron is too cool you have to leave it on the solder joint a longer time and that is not a good thing. This leads to overheating the component.

You have to have your iron hot enough to quickly melt the solder joint and efficiently flow the solder. But...you must minimize the contact time when it is set to this temperature. The temperature range above should work.

If you notice that the solder does not melt quickly, raise the temperature a bit until you find a setting that works. Larger soldering points may require a higher heat setting to do the job.

My soldering station is a cheaper model with only two settings. I suppose I should invest in a better soldering station but I do not use it very often. Let me know what works for you.

Ed

Tjs2013

Post by Tjs2013 » 04 Jun 2017 23:46

Rebuilding my denon 61 f tonearm. Looking for any info on how or where I can find Tonearm
wire and any other help In taking on this project.