Denon DP-30L, platter removal

deeply dp
crubio

Denon DP-30L, platter removal

Post by crubio » 14 Aug 2016 19:25

Hello,

Does anyone know how to remove the platter on a DP-30L? I'm trying to clean the bearing, seems removal is a
Must to get the motor out.

Also, does any know the Eff for the S-Arm?

Thanks,

C

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Re: Denon DP-30L, platter removal

Post by Japi Roelofs » 14 Aug 2016 21:43

Hi and welcome to the forum

the platter should lift right off. If it is stuck on the spindle, an old trick is to tap the spindle with the plastic handle of a big screwdriver (or something similar) while trying to lift the platter up. Of course you need 3 hands to do this, so you might want to ask someone for assistance.

However, the motor is a closed unit, and there is nothing to lubricate really. Unlike f.i. Technics where you need to lubricate the spindle every 2000 hours, these bearings are usually sealed and greased for life.

crubio

Post by crubio » 14 Aug 2016 22:22

Hello,

I'll give it a try. But if it's just sitting on top, how does grip the bearing?

I figure after 35 years, it might need an oil-change, no?

Might you know the eff length of this particular S-Arm?

Anyone have a manual for the MK 1?

Thanks,

Cesar

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 15 Aug 2016 11:55

crubio wrote:But if it's just sitting on top, how does grip the bearing?
The spindle has a conical shape (it is wider at the bottom) and the platter has a hole that is similarly shaped. So there is some grip. It doesn't need much though, the drag from the stylus is negligible.

crubio wrote:I figure after 35 years, it might need an oil-change, no?
If the platter turns freely, I would leave it alone. Of course you can change the oil if you want to, here's a guy who did it:
http://liquidaudio.com.au/denon-dp-30l-turntable/

crubio wrote:Might you know the eff length of this particular S-Arm?
Effective length = 220 mm
Overhang = 16 mm

crubio wrote:Anyone have a manual for the MK 1?
Here you go:
http://e.manualretriever.com/lect.php?I ... 27e&src=15

Dimal
Australia

Post by Dimal » 15 Aug 2016 14:59

crubio wrote:Anyone have a manual for the MK 1?
Take your pick, I reckon... :wink:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/denon/dp-30l.shtml

Mal.

crubio

Post by crubio » 15 Aug 2016 16:44

Thank you for the info!!

C

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 15 Aug 2016 17:16

The strange thing is that the DP-30L manual I linked to also has a Shure cartridge manual attached to it. I can't separate the two, otherwise I would have uploaded it to the library. Maybe I'll do it anyway and ask JaS if he's able to remove the last two pages.

Dimal: there is only a service manual for the DP-30L in the Library. The other manuals are for the MK II, which has a different tonearm.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 15 Aug 2016 19:04

Thank you JapiR for the links....... =D> =D>

Glanced at the Operation manual w/ Shure attachment and found the "Precautions For Usage" section interesting especially in reference to the magnetic strip warnings, platter precautions and bearing lube..... :shock:

It was kind of fun imagining a tonearm made of "pris(i)on" parts..... :wink:

Fred

crubio

Post by crubio » 16 Aug 2016 04:12

Touching on set-up, it seems that the spindle to pivot on this TT is 203mm, which never gets me 220 eff and 16mm overhang on any of the three protractors, Stevenson gets close. With a Dennesen protractor I find eff at 222 mm.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,

C

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 16 Aug 2016 10:49

Are you using Conrad Hoffman's arc protractor program?

Stevenson alignment (mounting distance at 204 mm) gets me an effective length of exactly 220 mm and an overhang of 16 mm, when I position the inner groove radius at 58.41 mm. That's 0.91 mm over DIN standard.
If we enter a mounting distance of 203 mm, we can move the inner groove radius to 61.013 mm, to get an effective length of 220 mm and an overhang of 17 mm. This is 0.688 mm over IEC standard.
Null point position shifting less than 1 mm, aural effect will be neglible.

So either way, you can get proper alignment. How did you come up with the 203 mm, did you measure this with a ruler? Centre spindle to tonearm pivot measurement can sometimes be tricky, f.i. when the pivot point is covered like on the Denon. However you could put some painters tape on the arm and draw lines back to front and side to side, to determine the pivot point location.

Dimal
Australia

Post by Dimal » 16 Aug 2016 13:35

Japi Roelofs wrote:Dimal: there is only a service manual for the DP-30L in the Library. The other manuals are for the MK II, which has a different tonearm.
Yes I realise that, as it happens... :wink:
According to the Service Addendum for the II though, the only difference between the two TTs was that the latter is fitted with a Low-Mass Straight Tonearm, everything else remaining identical...

Mal.

crubio

Post by crubio » 16 Aug 2016 15:34

Hello

I did the tape and lines, then used the Denneson protractor, but perhaps I'm off by a mm.
The MK1 manual also shows the 50mm distance from gasket to stylis tip on the headshell.

Thanks,

C

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 16 Aug 2016 18:59

crubio wrote:Hello

I did the tape and lines, then used the Denneson protractor, but perhaps I'm off by a mm.
The MK1 manual also shows the 50mm distance from gasket to stylis tip on the headshell.

Thanks,

C
Using a DP-33F, used one (can't remember, maybe stupid) of the VE protractors to align as there was no Owner's manual in the VE library. Noticed that the 30L's got the same S tonearm and found this dimension in the literature, so I took off the headshell and sure enough, measured 50mm........ :wink:

What cartridge....... :-k :-k :-k

Fred

crubio

Post by crubio » 16 Aug 2016 23:04

Im using a Grado Black, I think it's the cheapest they make. It's just a starter cart since I just got the deck.

C

crubio

Post by crubio » 28 Aug 2016 18:56

Hello,

New issue, it was working fine but I notice a humming sound when the motor is running, if I spin it faster, the hum subsides, if I change to 45rpm, it subsides and then returns, if I hold the plater, it hums more. If I spin it by hand, no sound.

I don't hear this from the speakers, just from the turntable when it finds the speed required.

Should I change all the caps only or all the components on the board?

The voltage measures 4.9 volts. It should read 5, but that seems close enough.

Thanks,

C