Denon DP-55K platter dead

deeply dp
spikey_w
Great Britain

Denon DP-55K platter dead

Post by spikey_w » 23 Jul 2016 21:34

I had this from new but unfortunately it no longer works. The fault is the motor does not rotate platter and neither the stop or start buttons light up. Pressing these buttons have no effect. Only thing that works is the on/off button and the strobe light.

I have read some of the threads here and learnt that the electrolyte capacitors dies due to age. Being hopeful I replaced these but still made no difference and with exactly the same symptoms as above.

Obviously now I have no idea where to look. I do have a multimeter and some experience of electronics and would be grateful if someone could help. I've looked after this turntable and it would be a real shame if I had to junk this.

spikey_w
Great Britain

Re: Denon DP-55K platter dead

Post by spikey_w » 24 Jul 2016 19:27

Been working on the turntable today and downloaded the service manual. I've been studying the circuit around the buttons to figure out why the lights for them weren't working. They seem to take its power from a IC5 a 5V Voltage regulator FS-7805M. The input checked ok but the output was less than 1V and as the output is connected to an electrolytic capacitor which probably died I guess this might have caused the 7805 regulator to fail. Going get this replaced to see what happens. Touch wood.

inmatejason1981
Canada

Re: Denon DP-55K platter dead

Post by inmatejason1981 » 10 Apr 2019 19:35

did u get it fixed? i know it’s an old thread but i have the same turntable but manual and thinking of doing a recap.
how many caps was there? was it hard?
thanks for any help