Denon DP 51F adjustment question

deeply dp
mike_tonkinson

Denon DP 51F adjustment question

Post by mike_tonkinson » 29 Jan 2016 18:33

The kids are now teenagers and the turntable and records have been brought out of the closet after close to 20 years of storage. unfortunately, the arm doesn't align appropriately with the record, not does it return, when the record ends. my question is how do i adjust it, so that it works correctly.

captmark

Re: Denon DP 51F adjustment question

Post by captmark » 30 Jan 2016 09:31

I just got done recapping and refurbing a DP-51 tonight-it is just listed on the big auction site btw...

Anyway, I am ass-u-ming when you say your arm doesn't align with the record you mean when you hit start the needle drops somewhere other than the beginning of the side. I'm also guessing it goes too far into the record, which is why it doesn't return at the end. Those distances are physically set and usually forget in the arm, so if you move the start point out toward the edge of the record you'll move where the CDS sensor calls the end as well.

Look at or download the owners manual here in the VE library. On page 8 it describes how you adjust the screw on the base of the arm right next to the red LED tube to determine where the arm drops-

MAKE SURE YOUR TT IS LEVEL and you VTF is correct for your cartridge. On mine that adjustment was gummed up-it is a physical, not electrical adjustment. Don't force it, but if it only moves a quarter turn or so it is gummed up-try rocking the screwdriver back and forth slowly but sternly and see if it breaks free If not you'll have to open up the bottom and put some white grease on the mechanism after freeing it with your hand. Cheers, M

letate

Re: Denon DP 51F adjustment question

Post by letate » 09 Dec 2017 17:16

Thanks for this! Just a quick clarification on the page number, it is actually page 6 in the lower left hand corner. Great info!