Denon DP-61F arm sticks

deeply dp
Rknoll

Denon DP-61F arm sticks

Post by Rknoll » 06 Jan 2016 01:59

In automatic mode, the tone arm starts to move but sticks 1 1/2" from it's rest. If I gently tap the turn table, it moves into place and lowers to the first track. This has not been a problem in 20 years.

In manual mode, I can move the arm easily. It does not seem to have any friction. Is there any way to adjust it? Perhaps its dirty inside?

Thanks.

Rob

captmark

Re: Denon DP-61F arm sticks

Post by captmark » 08 Jan 2016 09:44

Hi Rob, it sure sounds like you have a faulty photo sensor. There are 3 of them on the tone arm assembly. If your locate function moves the arm all the way from rest to reject that will confirm it. It is possible the arm needs lubed, or even a wire tie has broken and wires are impeding the motion, but those are way down the list especially from your other observations.

It is possible that you could get in there with a iron and heat up the solder joints around those sensors and clean the shutter and that could "fix" your issue-I had one once that when I did that fixed a similar problem...until I ordered the new CDS sensors and swapped them.

I realize not everyone is adept with a soldering iron, and a 61f is not the best place to learn on the job. But from a repair person's standpoint it is a pretty straight forward job any basic electronics repair guy could handle. It would be well worth searching out someone in your area who would be willing to change those and while you're at it do a full electrolytic recap-we can help you with a parts list and the service manual is available in the download section here-and oddly enough, it is correct! :-) (a lot of the Denon manuals have substitutions). For $35-$40 worth of parts and 2 hours of shop time your 61f is well worth it-one day it will die of old age from the old caps drying out-if they take an IC chip with them, many of which aren't available anymore, you'll have a 24lb paperweight. Yours is worth fixing-doing the above will add decades of life to a great table.

quadgreg

Post by quadgreg » 01 Jun 2017 03:42

I understand I can get the parts from you to redo my demon dp-61? Please let me know and the cost. Greg

captmark

Post by captmark » 02 Jun 2017 08:52

No sir you are mistaken-I don't do outside repairs or sell parts. You can go to the library here and download the service manual for a 61f and replace all the electrolytic caps (@ 40). I get mine from Digikey but there are other good places as well. If your a cheap-skate even the basic name brand caps are better than the jobber-quality they put in stock. In spite of all the pontification here, spend the extra $15 total and get all good caps; I use Nichicon FGs mainly because they're gold and I and my buyers can tell where I actually did it. I also get slightly higher voltage rated caps (but not crazy-don't get 160 or 450v caps for a 16v or 25v use). I'll run 50 or 63V power caps where the stock is 35v for example. Order those 3-CDS sensors (Luna NSL-6112's work)and just in case order an extra each of the smaller caps up to the 220uf- there are two circuits for the 61f depending on how old yours is that vary slightly from the service manual here.

Plan on doing an adjustment of the VR's and such after the refresh- you don't "have to" -unless it's still has an issue, but you should. If you can do a recap you can run a DVM and get the key adjustments done-if you can run a scope then you are ready for the races once you're done doing that. Good Luck- M