Denon DJ VL12 Prime turntable

deeply dp
Arthur_77
Mexico

Denon DJ VL12 Prime turntable

Post by Arthur_77 » 13 May 2019 18:20

Hello,

I just got this turntable about a week ago, basically i'm a beginner to Denon turntables; I'm here because i really want to learn from you guys. I want to tell you i will use this turntable at home only.

Also,i would like to hear any recommendation about what is the best stylus i can get for this great turntable?

Actually, i like to play Classic rock, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's records, perhaps this info can help to find out what stylus is the best to get a really great sound for these music genres.

In addition, it will be very appreciated if you can shoot any tip about how can i get the best results with my VL12

Sincerely

Arthur S.

PseudoShooter

Re: Denon DJ VL12 Prime turntable

Post by PseudoShooter » 01 Jun 2019 15:34

Hey!

I'm using a Ortofon 2M Blue with mine and I love the sound. I'm also using a Parks Audio Budgie tube preamp.

Here is another thread about this TT: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 98&t=97400

Les_Creative_Edge
Canada

Post by Les_Creative_Edge » 01 Jun 2019 17:49

Hi,

I have been running a VL12 for a year now. I am using a Denon DL-110 high output moving coil cartridge. All running through my Cambridge Audio 640p phono pre amp and I am enjoying the sound. The VL12 runs ROCK STEADY with its large quartz locked direct drive motor. I enjoy its rather rugged looking styling too.

It is a turntable that does not require much to get right. Just use a good cartridge set up guide, make sure you level the plinth, achieve proper tracking force and set up anti skate and it's good to go.

I've had numerous quality turntables over the years but I do like the INSTANT START UP and STOP of a solid direct drive.
Yes, if I had the cash I'd have liked to get one of the new Technics SL-1200GR or G models but IMO the VL12 is not a major difference to those.

Les_Creative_Edge
Canada

Post by Les_Creative_Edge » 01 Jun 2019 17:55

Oh one caveat fund on mine. I found it was lacking sufficient tone arm cuing damping. The tonearm cue'd down too fast almost dropping onto the LP. Buying off an Ebayer a syringe full (A LIFETIME SUPPLY :-) ) of 3000ct. silicone damping fluid and a quick 2 or so minutes of unsckrewing the plastic cuing arm to allow me to put a dollop of silicone (NOT MUCH WAS NEEDED AS IT CAN THEN MAKE THE ARM CUE TOO SLOWLY!) screw the cuing arm back in and tweaking the cuing height and TA DA problem solved. My tonearm cues nice, gentle and slow now.

PseudoShooter

Post by PseudoShooter » 02 Jun 2019 04:02

Hey Les!

I remember reading that you had that problem so I was worried that mine may experience the same. I'm happy to report that my arm (so far) is well damped at this point.

I do have a very slight motor hum however but I won't be concerned until that changes. I still have a number of months to go on the warranty...