Denon DP-59L RED screws beneath platter

deeply dp
Rock Ball
United States of America

Denon DP-59L RED screws beneath platter

Post by Rock Ball » 23 Apr 2019 12:23

I recently purchased a DP-59L and joined this forum to begin learning how to maintain it. My first step was to learn how to remove the platter. That went well, but I am confused by the label that I found underneath.

The label states "BEFORE MOUNTING PLATTER, remove RED clamp screws and wipe off grease with soft cloth from motor shaft."

There are two red screws, but are those clamp screws? The turntable was already setup at the store. I carried it home and it has been functioning well without any additional setup, so it doesn't seem like anything is clamped down.

Rock Ball
United States of America

Re: Denon DP-59L RED screws beneath platter

Post by Rock Ball » 23 Apr 2019 12:51

I hadn't read on how to setup the turntable in the manual because it was already setup at the store, but I just looked at the setup section in it. It appears that those two red screws are indeed the "clamp" or transport screws.

Now my question is what do they clamp? Is there any reason for leaving them in?

I am wondering what else that I assumed was setup at the store is actually setup.

sivagriva
long player
long player
Slovenia

Post by sivagriva » 23 Apr 2019 13:29

You must remove those two red screws prior to operate the platter....follow instructions from user manual....
If you don't have it...here you can find it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 14.18.24 .png
(300.77 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Rock Ball
United States of America

Post by Rock Ball » 23 Apr 2019 15:02

Thanks sivagriva. That is the section I found after my first post.

Unfortunately, I have been using the turntable for a few weeks now. Its functionality was demonstrated to me in the store where they said nothing about the two transportation screws so I suspect they didn't know about them either. They said they purchased it from a collector and it was an "old new stock item" or something to that effect. I have no way of knowing how long the turntable has been in use with those screws in place.

The turntable seems to be operating fine, but I wonder what damage may have been done.

sivagriva
long player
long player
Slovenia

Post by sivagriva » 23 Apr 2019 15:32

Well, the exact answer to your question is: those red screws "clamp" power transformer. Power transformers do vibrate, more or less, depend on technology they are made. In this case, power transformer is fixed/suspended to the chassis via rubber grommets, so those red screws fix it hard to the chassis and has to be removed to allow rubber to suspend it effectively. Hope I made it clear enough...english is not my native language....
Last edited by sivagriva on 23 Apr 2019 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 23 Apr 2019 15:44

Obviously, the people at the store are fools, and were clueless, as they totally ignored what was written. Whether any damage was done, is impossible to say. If you now remove those screws, and the turntable doesn't work properly, take it back, and demand a refund, as it was damaged by there ineptitude.

sivagriva
long player
long player
Slovenia

Post by sivagriva » 23 Apr 2019 16:25

No damage should occur, but turntable would not perform as intended, just remove the screws. But utmost care should be taken when remove/reinstall the platter of/on the spindle, not to damage the magnetic strip on the inner edge of the platter...

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 23 Apr 2019 16:37

I agree that it's likely no damage has occured, but I'd be incensed by this.

Rock Ball
United States of America

Post by Rock Ball » 23 Apr 2019 17:36

I read about the magnetic strip on the forum, so I was careful with that.

I will remove the screws and inspect the rubber grommets (if possible).

I did not research this turntable before I bought it. It was one of the nicest vintage turntables in the store and I wanted to support a local brick-and-mortar store. I bought it on impulse after returning a much cheaper new turntable that had a defect. I didn't realize at the time how much of a premium that I was paying. I also was not aware that it would need to be re-capped, calibrated and lubed due to its age. So I blame myself mostly for not doing my due diligence.

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy a nicely restored DP-59L from captmark09. But that didn't happen, so now I am on an interesting journey to learn about working on this turntable.

Thanks for the responses.

sivagriva
long player
long player
Slovenia

Post by sivagriva » 23 Apr 2019 18:14

Hopefully no need to worry much about, my DP-60L is still working flawlessly, without touching it, bought it new in Japan in 1980....

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 23 Apr 2019 19:58

If it's working fine, i'd probably leave it be.

Rock Ball
United States of America

Post by Rock Ball » 24 Apr 2019 15:05

Before I removed the RED transport screws, I took a few pictures.

Underside of platter indicates that the turntable was manufactured in 1987.

Here are the transport screws securing the transformer:

After the transport screws are removed:

The rubber grommets appear to be in good shape.

Before I removed the transport screws, I noticed a very slight hum in my system when I turned the turntable on. I thought maybe it was a grounding issue. With the screws removed, I no longer hear the hum.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 24 Apr 2019 15:31

Be sure to save the screws, in the event you need to transport the table in the future.