DP37F headshell is not level

deeply dp
Bohuweno

DP37F headshell is not level

Post by Bohuweno » 21 Apr 2019 14:15

The headshell in the tonearm of my DP37F is not level. You can tell by eye, but I have confirmed with a spirit level anyway. The tonearm cover at the back is level, from which I guess that there are no issues at that end. What I think needs adjustment is the "sleeve" at the front end of the tonearm into which the headshell contacts are inserted. This has a flat surface on top, and that also fails the spirit level test. The sleeve has two screws on the underside, and a third nearby, also on the underside. I am guessing that if two (or all three) of these are loosened, the sleeve can be rotated to the appropriate position to achieve levelling.

Does that sound correct? Theres nothing in the owner's manual or the service manual that gives details on this; those screws aren't depicted in the exploded view in the service manual.

For the moment, this isn't even something I can experiment with using conventional tools. I've got precision screwdrivers, but there's only a little over 25 mm of space directly below these screws to work in. I need right-angled access; if that's not an easily available tool, I assume I can rig one using a short precision Phillips bit clamped at a right angle in a spanner or something similar.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? This is how I received the turntable, it was a cheap purchase from a secondhand shop, so it may well have been tampered with by someone at some point in its life and retightened incorrectly.

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: DP37F headshell is not level

Post by lenjack » 21 Apr 2019 16:21

If you cannot find a way to remedy this, I would shim the mounting of the cartridge in the headshell, so that the cartridge cantilever is perpendicular to the record surface.

Bohuweno

Post by Bohuweno » 22 Apr 2019 12:34

Thank you. I ordered a tool that should do the trick if it's just a matter of loosening screws, adjusting, and retightening the screws. If that fails, I'll see if I can shim the headshell.

Bohuweno

Post by Bohuweno » 23 Apr 2019 15:11

I loosened the setscrews, thought I'd won, but tightening them again isn't working. The screws and heads look good, could something in the tonearm or the collar mounted on it be stripped? I used a ratcheting driver and it seems to turn the screws and ratchet back, but there's no real increase in tightness. One of the screws can be removed completely - basically, it falls out - so I see that it has a small notch at the bottom which by the look of it is as designed. It doesn't seem damaged at all. I wonder if this means there is some particular position it has to go before it can be tightened properly. If so, I haven't found the right spot yet. Not for lack of trying.