adjusting lead-in position of tonearm on denon dp-11f

deeply dp
gbcweber
United States of America

adjusting lead-in position of tonearm on denon dp-11f

Post by gbcweber » 18 Apr 2019 05:26

I purchased and had installed an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge on my Denon DP-11F turntable. It just wasn't sounding as good as I felt it should; distortion even in the outer tracks, especially with piano. I took it back, and after a month of it being in the shop, I retrieved it. The shop owner couldn't remember exactly what he did; some unspecified adjustments, but I felt it sounded much better. It seemed the lead-in times were longer than before and one time the tonearm fell off the record and hit the platform. An over $400 cartridge and stylus! I tested other records (while preparing to catch the tonearm should it fall again) and it occurred on some others.
I read an entry on this forum where someone had the same problem with another model of Denon turntable. He ultimately adjusted a screw within a hole by the base of the tonearm and the problem was rectified. I tried the same with mine, but no screw exists at the bottom of the hole on mine.
I called the shop owner and he told me more involved repairs would be needed. I'm not too thrilled about going back to him, so I tried accessing the manual on here, but I guess my Windows Vista might be too old for the latest Adobe that's required.
So, to get to the point, can anyone on here describer to me exactly what would be required so I could attempt a fix on my own? I've always been very particular about how my stereo sounds (was so relieved with the advent of CDs) even though I possess very little knowledge of the technology. Can someone help?
C. Weber

gbcweber
United States of America

Re: adjusting lead-in position of tonearm on denon dp-11f

Post by gbcweber » 25 Apr 2019 05:47

I'm afraid I may have riled you a bit with my support for CDs. I do feel they're less distortion-prone, but I still want all my record albums to sound good. I'm satisfied enough with my turntable even though it's not a high-end model. I just don't want to have to worry about the stylus falling off the record because the lead-in position is too far out. An Ortofon 2M bronze is not cheap; I want to know my stylus is intact. Please help.
C. Weber

gbcweber
United States of America

Re: adjusting lead-in position of tonearm on denon dp-11f

Post by gbcweber » 25 Apr 2019 09:06

Never mind. I found the service manual here, then used another post which helped to decipher the instructions for making the adjustment on another Denon turntable. Thanks.
C.Weber