Denon DP-23F slow tonearm

deeply dp
Cossak
United States of America

Denon DP-23F slow tonearm

Post by Cossak » 03 Mar 2019 02:42

#-o help My tonearm auto cues very slowly and auto returns at the same snails pace...probably 1/3 the speed which I've seen from youtube turntable demo videos. I bought this used Denon DP-23F at a thrift store on the cheap and after a stylus change and adjustment on the 30mm autoplay cue position this turntable is working nicely except for this slow linear tonearm motor speed. I guess it gives me extra time to get to my couch and crack a beer...but i cant help but think somethings wrong and fixing it would prevent other things from potentially getting worn or damaged. Any feedback on a solution is appreciated.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Denon DP-23F slow tonearm

Post by lenjack » 04 Mar 2019 01:28

You might want to download the service manual from the library here, along with the user manual. If it's the electronically controlled servo aspect of the arm that's causing the problem, you may be in for a world of hurt and lots of $. These turntables were so good till the electronics on them got too old, and drifted out of spec.

Cossak
United States of America

Post by Cossak » 04 Mar 2019 01:43

Txs Lenjack!
I already read the service manuel and it was not so thourough except for a few adjustment procedures unrelated to my problem. There is a schematic ,... Guess im gust going have to dive in it and test each resistor and capacitor.

Cossak
United States of America

Post by Cossak » 08 Mar 2019 04:01

PROBLEM SOLVED! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

I found that the back of the tone arm there is some kind of wheelie bar/skid plate that rides along a smooth piece of thin metal runway strip affixed to the plactic plyinth. When the auto tone arm lifter rises... the skid plate keeps contact with the runway -even as it cues itself.
The metal strip was oxidized so in vain I cleaned it with some "DeoxIT" not really expecting it to remedy the problem- But it did just that. Whohoo! Cues and auto returns like new now. Friction free.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 08 Mar 2019 14:26

Wow. Terrific :!: :!: :D :o =D> That is amazing. Whoda thunkit? Another
Deoxit to the rescue
Great to hear. Saves you a lot of trouble, and possibly a lot of $.