DP-61F Platter Adujustment

deeply dp
melam
United States of America

DP-61F Platter Adujustment

Post by melam » 02 Mar 2019 01:30

Is there an adjustment for the platter height? I picked the DP-61F at my local thrift store, I was drawn to the wood base and the weight of the turntable. The platter is rubbing and doesn't move freely. Seems like there should be a nylon washer on the spindle for the platter to rest on. I say this because of other turntables\record players I've worked on have a washer and bearing. Maybe it doesn't have one because this is direct drive? I've looked in the user and service guide but didn't see anything. I was hoping to come across a picture of the TT with the platter off to compare mine. Everything looks level and the shipping screws are out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

melam
United States of America

Re: DP-61F Platter Adujustment

Post by melam » 02 Mar 2019 22:41

Are there any videos of someone servicing one of these or maybe a site with a breakdown of the TT?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 03 Mar 2019 02:43

Don't scratch, touch or handle that delicate dark magnetic strip recorded on the inside of the platter, or mess with the little tape recording head that senses the magnetic pulses in the strip.
Because if you do damage it, it's toast, junk.

A DP-61F in a THRIFT STORE?
Some people are selling them for $1000 because they seem to attract audio snobs.
Must be something really wrong to land up in a cheap thrift store.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 03 Mar 2019 06:38

On the 61F not sure the transport screws would cause this problem ? But check they aren't installed. It is possible to put the wrong platter on one of these (hope that's not the OP's problem.)Have been enjoying my 61F for 7,8 maybe 9 years now -it started me in buyin more servo armed tables from Denon ,JVC and Sony . How else can you run a Decca Gold and a V-15-IV on the same arm ? BTW -my best thrift store buys have been in the 5 to 10 buck range -plug 'em in at the store and nuthin happens. Get 'em home and put a belt on 'em (23.6 anyone?) and away they go.

captmark

Post by captmark » 03 Mar 2019 18:14

Your problem is most likely the magnetic tape head Spinner45 alluded to is rubbing on the painted magnetic strip on the underside of the platter. You have about 10 revolutions of that happening before you scrape that paint and do permanent damage. The tape head is adjustable with a screw on either side of it. Download the service manual on here and follow the directions-it's pretty easy but you should get yourself a blade style feeler gauge set like they use to gap spark plugs at any auto store or Amazon for $6. You can fold a piece of printer paper in half to at least get it away from rubbing. You know if you got it wrong-the table will spin at 100mph. Do not put a nylon or any washer on the spindle- you knock the non-adjustable VTA off spec and you change the gap for the platter sensor.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 03 Mar 2019 21:30

Years ago we got one of these with the encoded magnetic strip that had been polished off -that platter was toast -last I heard the customer was still looking for a replacement platter. I have never had to touch the head on one of these so far -this would be a last thing to consider moving -only after every other alternative has been tried and eliminated. Definitely time to look at the service manual - does the part no. cast into the bottom of the platter match up with what is listed in the service manual ? price is right at thrift stores -but anything is possible - and some previous owner may have futzed up the read head alignment -but the only time I've run into this symptom was when i accidentally swapped platters between models.

melam
United States of America

Post by melam » 05 Mar 2019 01:02

Thanks for the help everyone...The head and the strip on the platter look fine, its not scrapping against the platter. The platter itself is sitting too low and hits the top of the head. The number on the underside of the platter is nothing close to the number the Service manual shows. The printed number is 60.2.21 and another cast into the platter 54700, maybe it does have the wrong platter?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 05 Mar 2019 05:42

melam wrote:
05 Mar 2019 01:02
Thanks for the help everyone...The head and the strip on the platter look fine, its not scrapping against the platter. The platter itself is sitting too low and hits the top of the head. The number on the underside of the platter is nothing close to the number the Service manual shows. The printed number is 60.2.21 and another cast into the platter 54700, maybe it does have the wrong platter?
If it's got the wrong platter, then someone who had it previously butchered the unit.
AKA "slapped it together to sell it for some money to an unsuspecting person."

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 05 Mar 2019 15:47

Keep a eye on eBay -every once in awhile a 61F does get partsed out. I'm not sure of their motive - but basically i agree with Spinner -the odds are getting good this unit has been molested.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 05 Mar 2019 18:21

audiopile wrote:
05 Mar 2019 15:47
Keep a eye on eBay -every once in awhile a 61F does get partsed out. I'm not sure of their motive - but basically i agree with Spinner -the odds are getting good this unit has been molested.
I've seen plenty of "butchered" electronics over time.
Plenty of desperate or inexperienced hackers taking things apart, raiding trash dumpsters, etc, all in an effort to get a few dollars for whatever habit they have.
I know one guy who polishes up stereo equipment "for looks", has no clue about electronic repairs, and puts a sizeable price on said polished equipment.
He even blows out the dust inside with a compressor to impress a potential buyer.
It's all BS of course, and the poor SOB that buys that is stuck with junk.

This goes on more than you know. :shock:

captmark

Post by captmark » 06 Mar 2019 21:29

It is extremely unlikely you have the wrong platter. There's only one platter that fits the 61/65 Denons-anything else with a magnetic stripe won't even drop into place. The thickness, weight, and position of the tape head underneath are unique to these two models. You "could" have a warped platter, but in doing 300 Denons and counting yours would be the first I've heard of...

If it is not your head rubbing on the tape stripe, and you've ruled out the stupid stuff like burrs on the platter or plinth plate then your problem is the spindle is not perfectly perpendicular to the plinth plate as it needs to be. Most times this is caused by a broken motor mount inside the table, or something impeding the motor from sitting flush on that plate. If the table has been taken apart by an "expert", they may have used the wrong length screws in reassembly, using washers where they shouldn't have or not on all sides, etc.. I did one a couple of weeks ago where too long screws from underneath were sticking up and hitting the platter.

If your rubbing is constant, by default your platter isn't warped...but that "expert" may have put washers or spacers in the wrong spot, lowering the motor down into the plinth just enough to bottom out the platter. We're talking way less than the thickness of a small washer is all it takes to muck it up. four screws and a plug will pull the motor to check and reassemble correctly. Hopefully it is one of these two things and not your spindle being bent-that happens too, but very rarely. Good Luck-

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 06 Mar 2019 21:43

The one time I did this it was either a 47 or 45 platter (could have been a 51 too?) -it obviously didn't fit -don't think I even tried to power it up ? I will try to dig out the 61F in the basement and see what numbers are cast/printed into the bottom of the platter. Could one of the transport bolts still be in place and tilting the motor/spindle as a result ? These should be red -but who knows what could have been substituted for the original bolts ? Right off hand -I don't remember any of the Denon's I bought still having transport bolts -but the manual calls them out as red and sorta shows where they should be.

melam
United States of America

Post by melam » 07 Mar 2019 15:23

I found my issue...I grew a pair and decided to pull of the bottom and start poking around. Looks like the screw holes that mount the motor to the Frame are broken :x Looks like it needs a new frame and god knows what else. Win some lose some, for $40 I'll still give it a shot at fixing it. I really appreciate all of the input everyone has provided.

captmark

Post by captmark » 08 Mar 2019 01:34

yup..